Dr. Boyce Watkins: College Doesn't Have to Be the Only Choice

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by Dante, Oct 14, 2015.

?
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Neutral

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    This video has gotten a lot of opinions.

What is yours?

FYI: Please respect all opinions

2. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    AGREE 100%....:lawd:
    The more people know this the better. I have had MULTIPLE folks working under me with their master degrees and struggling with debt as I made more than them with my raggedy associates degree. Debt is REAL. Listen to this man please.

Think about college alternatives and don't follow the "college is the answer" end all be all trope...:whoa:

Cyrus-Brooks and grownman dapped this.
  3. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single

True indeed. In no way is pursuing a college education a waste of time or an unworthy effort. However, pursuing a college degree is no longer the access key to avoid the things that come with being a part of the workforce. I know several people that I used to work with at my previous employment and everything I see any of them, they ask me "So are you getting your Bachelors degree?". I'm like "Are you going to help me pay for my classes if I don't get enough financial aid or help me pay back any student loans?".

You need the degree, but not the debt.

grownman dapped this.
  4. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I completely agree! And this is coming from someone who went to college..

5. grownman

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I don't know where are why I didn't see this. I could shout the 2 step. I am someone who has not gone very far. I am in school now but starting from the bottom. I need this.

6. Discordant

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I actually think black people have done each other a disservice by only stressing college or some kind of sport/entertainment field as ways to make money. A degree can certainly open doors for you, but debt is still a problem and, quite frankly, college is not for everyone. There are plenty of trades and small businesses one can be successful in that can place you in a more financially sound situation.

mojoreece dapped this.
  7. NickAuzenneNOLA

The Great Debater The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I agree it is not the ONLY way. It is the most direct line to success however. We as people of color must stop downplaying education. I absolutely believe that you can be successful without formal education but most that are get some form of education rather its through seeking experience or apprenticeships ETC...

grownman and ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  8. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I have one brother who went to college, and the other did not.

My brother who did not go to college is an electrician for a large city and (with some frugality) has been able to buy a home(will be paid off in just a couple more years), have a stay at home wife, raise two kids who are now 18 and 20, and given his seniority he makes more money than my brother who did go to college.

There are other opportunities out there besides the rote four years of college.

* I have listened to this guy but some of his anti-gay stuff has turned me off.

BrentForays and grownman dapped this.
  9. NickAuzenneNOLA

The Great Debater The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Congratulations to your brother! As I said it is not the only way and clearly he took an opportunity and made the best of it that's what you are supposed to do! Even with a college education if you don't get out there and go after it you wont succeed. College makes it easier it doesn't drop it in your lap.

Boyce Watkins has long been problematic for me so I tune out most of his opinions because they almost always come from some judgmental or disgusted place. When he speaks about the LGBT community the contempt is obvious.

#9 NickAuzenneNOLA, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  10. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    ^^ On the bad side, this is the brother who is a fervent Born again Xian who thinks the fossil record is a tool of the devil They tried to turn my parents against me for being who I am-I have not seen him or his family in over 12 years and they live ten miles away. There are a very few certain lines you don't cross with me #extremebetrayal

But other than it being 'him' yes I agree.

Plumbers, electricians, etc. hell there is even a coming shortage of skilled construction workers in certain places-the best ones are getting too old.Construction industry in Columbus moves to avert expected worker shortage

And these are decent paying jobs. plumbers can make a small fortune.

There are only so many good paying white collar 4 year college degree jobs to go around. There are specialized jobs that are wanting for workers while so many people are underemployed.

#10 ColumbusGuy, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    grownman dapped this.
  11. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    :ufdup:

12. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    :lawd:

13. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    idgas.gif

14. mojoreece

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I agree with him to some extent. College is not for everyone and education/learning never stops no matter who you are in life. But I think a lot of African Americans need to be expose to different opportunities that they just might not get in their local community. I know I wanted to go to college(HBCU). It really helped me change my way of thinking and perspective in life. Plus with a lot of jobs you need a degree just for an entry level and to move up. I was a little surprise to here him say that cause hes always talking about black wealth. Wealthy people make sure their kids attend college its not even a question.

15. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    a 4 year college is just not for some people. Let's face it-not everyone is a rocket scientist and a four year college degree is just not the best fit for everyone. If someone has a natural talent that can be applied to a career that can earn them a good living and it requires some kind of vocational training, apprenticeship-something that is not a rote four year degree, then they should go for it.

If everyone has a four year degree then it will basically become the new high school diploma. And then the next rounds of student debt begin. More people getting a 4 year degree does not necessarily mean more good paying jobs that require a few year degree are being created. At worst, competition for the an increasingly limited supply of good paying jobs will spike dramatically, and the ones with the more money to start with, will win.

Creating wealth is not just about making money it is also about making wise choices, deferring gratification, cutting unnecessary expenses, making wise investments, etc.

My brother I mentioned is an example. Their house will be payed off in a few years, they can save more, and they raised two kids on one income-and it was more than just the income-it was the mindset(as crazy as his Xian self is). And much of building wealth is having wealth to pass down, having wealth to inherit.

*not bashing here* but I remember when I went back to school, I listened to a classmate complain about having her food stamps being cut. In practically the very next sentence, she was talking about how she spent $400.00 on her hair(ok, weave). Misplaced priorities are a problem. It won't matter if you have a good paying job and a good education if you waste your money on stupid stuff that immediately depreciates in value as soon as you pay for it, and make bad life decisions. People need not just education and exposure to new ideas, but also mentoring in how to manage their successes. JMHO.

* and yes my broke ass really has no place talking, but maybe I am a cautionary tale?