ESPN 30 for 30 Short: Glenn Burke ,The Black Gay Man Who Invented the High Five

Discussion in 'Sports and Athletes' started by BrentForays, Jul 15, 2016.

1. BrentForays

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    Dating:
    Single
    GLEN BURKE: The Black Gay Man Who Invented The High Five

I love this story. You really learn something new everyday.

Film Summary

This short will explore the origins and nuances of the high five, bringing to life the unique legacy of the gesture and the story of one of its unsung originators. The filmmakers will tell the story of Glenn Burke and his origins as a baseball prodigy, his time in the majors and spontaneous "invention" of the gesture. Using this moment, the story then pivots to chronicle the simultaneous spread of the high five as both celebratory and political gesture alongside the professional and personal decline of Glenn Burke.

#1 BrentForays, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Apollo, DreG, JohnDoe and 1 other person dapped this.
  2. jpo

jpo
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    It's been a long time since I read it, but Pete Lefcourt's The Dreyfus Affair - A Love Story is a good gay baseball novel and it complements this video perfectly.

Loved seeing Dusty Baker standing up for Burke. Washington Nationals are lucky to have Baker as their manager, even if some of the Virginia (last capital of the confederacy) fan base didn't like the choice, but then their taxes aren't paying for the stadium. So they need to sit down and shut up.

3. BrentForays

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    Dating:
    Single
    I'll definitely check that book out. Thanks.

4. SwagJack

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Yeah. Interesting story. In America, we often use words, phrases and adopt customs and have no clue as to what the origins are. Glad for this. ESPN has some really good docs in the 30 For 30 series.

Unfortunately Glenn's decline was a hard pill to swallow. I've read that he'd lost his fortune before he fell ill. It's been said that he could be seen panhandling on the streets of San Francisco. Apparently he had an affinity for white gay dudes, who ended up using him and sucking him dry (not to say this wouldn't have happened with any other race/ ethnicity).