For all Frank Ocean fans (all 2 of us) working Cypher Avenue

Discussion in 'Music and Podcasts' started by jpo, Dec 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jpo

jpo
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    Okay, this is a little over the top, but

How Frank Ocean Triumphs Without Even Trying | Pitchfork

rank Ocean offered two vital and contradictory performances in 2017. On the main stage, he once more played the guy sitting this one out—there he was, cancelingheadlining performances at major festivals around the world, ghosting on expectant audiences. If he did appear, he was wearing headphones, sometimes sitting down, and avoiding all eye contact: He didn’t cultivate a crowd so much as gather eavesdroppers. This is a maddening standby of his, one his fans depend on even as it denies them a chance to be near their hero. Without his serene indifference to stardom and any of its attendant demands, he wouldn’t be their hero.

The second performance was sneakier, and cut deeper. In this one, he was an active agent, spreading his influence and the peculiar hum of his mind through a well-chosen handful of new tracks and guest spots. “Biking,” “Chanel,” “Lens,” “Provider”—these songs simply appeared in the world, offering no clear context or explanation. Many of them debuted without fanfare in the middle of his “blonded RADIO” show on Apple Music, a spontaneous and freeform platform where he showed his admiration for peers and positioned his work nested inside theirs. The songs didn’t presage an LP or EP of any sort; they didn’t spawn late-night performances or remixes. They just dripped into the world like a faucet that wasn’t quite wrenched shut.

BlackguyExecutive, jusrawb and NikR dapped this.
  2. NikR

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    Fantastic article, and not just because they used the word "insouciant" (which is my favorite word of 2017).

Frank Ocean is talented and I love his music- I like his films a lot less lol. I'm no superfan though- I decided that wouldn't work for me. I learned the hard way, with SZA, to never, ever be a superfan, unless you want ur heart smashed into pieces at the front door of a venue where she just cancelled a much-anticipated performance...all while you're wearing a shirt with her fuckin name!!! Okokok I'm done. All I'm saying is I love his voice and his art. I think he does better when he's throwing us occasional, random bones instead of making promises he can't keep.

jusrawb dapped this.
  3. jusrawb

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Nice read, I love Frank Ocean music. For me he creates a story that you can interpret the meaning multiple ways. At this point all I want from Frank is art but from his latest album to the songs he's randomly dropped, it feels all over the place.

4. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    I think the recluse act is all part of Frank's appeal. It is what sorta makes him interesting to follow. I am unsure if it is an act or if he is really just a generally shy guy that doesn't like performing or if it is a ruse to keep his name in the headlines.