From the heart...

Discussion in 'Mental, Medical and Sexual Health' started by Shon, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Shon

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I posted this on FB last week and I'm sharing here too...just in case someone needs this...

Mental illness is serious! Depression, anxiety, bipolar disorders, OCD, PTSD and other mental health issues ARE REAL! If you feel something isn't right or you're constantly battling internal issues that you don’t understand, it doesn't make you weak to seek help. It’s not disrespectful to your religion to seek therapy instead of “praying it away” or “not claiming it”. It’s not something to sweep under the rug or be ashamed of. Let go of your pride.

Remember this, we're not as weak as we think...but we're also not as strong as we think.

For me, there are times I wish I could turn my brain off due to constant worrying, negativity and OVERTHINKING that can lead to drastic mood shifts. I've felt hopeless and useless. I've been to (and still frequent) VERY dark places. I’ve battled with addiction. Hell, I've been suicidal. I’ve lost years of my life wanting to do so much, but feeling defeat and angst before I even start and didn’t know why.

However, one of the best decisions I ever made was to seek professional help and begin healing from the inside. It's NOT a destination, it's a journey…a rocky journey that I’m still on seeking strength, answers, purpose and more importantly, to BREAK CYCLES!!

I want anyone going through this to know that you are NEVER alone and it's ok to admit that you can’t fix it by yourself. I want to see everyone win. I want everyone to understand that they're good enough. I want any and EVERYONE who may be struggling to overcome it. So, take it easy on yourself, breathe, HOLD TIGHT TO YOUR FAITH and NEVER feel bad for taking care of YOU!

Much Love!

2. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Thanks for sharing

3. LeMignon

LeMignon Your Favorite Nephew
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I can attest to this as well! Going to see a therapist every now and then has really helped me through lots of personal struggles, big and small, in college. I'd walk in feeling bothered by a problem and walk out feeling like I can conquer the world! And that confidence to fulfill your hopes and dreams comes only after examining the fears that stifle your personal growth.

ColumbusGuy and Shon dapped this.
  4. Shon

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    ABSOLUTELY!!!

Like I said, it hasn't been an easy journey, but I'm so glad that I gave up my pride and ignorance and went. I even tried medication, but I had to leave that shyt alone. Had me feeling too sleepy! I really wish that I would have done it a lot sooner in life, in hopes that some things would have been different, but that's something that I can't control...so I don't harp on it too much.

But, this was on my heart to share. As black men, especially in the gay community, we have a LOT of weight to bare and it can really phuck with us mentally. Not to mention the fact that everyone's walk in life has been different and difficult I'm sure. It's all about self-preservation and balance.

ColumbusGuy and LeMignon dapped this.
  5. LeMignon

LeMignon Your Favorite Nephew
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Thanks for sharing this too! There is definitely a stigma with seeking therapy and it needs to be debunked!

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  6. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I wish I could dap this one thousand times. Great and important post.