FX RELEASES TEASER/PROMO FOR DONALD GLOVER’S ‘ATLANTA’ (“‘TWIN PEAKS’ WITH RAPPERS”)

Discussion in 'Movies and Shorts' started by OckyDub, Jun 3, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]
    “I feel like the absurdity of the world… is more interesting. I mean, like, Donald Trump is running for President right now. When I was 8, I saw him in a Pizza Hut commercial. Like, that’s f—ing weird,” Donald Glover told attendees of FX’s portion of the Television Critics Association (TCA) tour earlier this year, in reference to his upcoming FX network series, “Atlanta.”

“The tone is everything. Television shows are like novels now. You’ve just got to invest in them. So… I feel like the tone of this is… going to take time for people to understand what’s going on, which I think is a good thing,” he continued. “I just wanted to make ‘Twin Peaks’ with rappers.”

So I suppose we should expect a series that’s offbeat, surreal, with an unsettling tone and potentially supernatural features, with quirky characters… that will just happen to be created by and starring rappers? I’m in!

But seriously, this is actually one of very few upcoming new series I’m genuinely curious about. Glover strikes me as a talent who isn’t at all sheepish about being and showing his unequivocally true self, and who seems to prefer experimenting with style and structure with his art, not really fitting into some specific box that others may try to stuff him in. So I’m expecting something wonderfully peculiar in “Atlanta.” At least, I’m hoping.

The multi-hyphenate also said about the upcoming FX series: “The writers – we don’t have an office. They come to my house. I make food and… we hang out, and we talk, and we see what’s on the Internet. I want to feel like we’re family, because I think the Internet has kind of like ruined the bacteria that’s culture. Not ruined it, but it’s just kind of turned it into something that can’t really grow.”

Glover’s “Atlanta” will unfold over a 10-episode first season, each a half-hour long, and will premiere this September on FX.

Brian Tyree Henry, Lakeith Lee Stanfield and Zazie Beetz all join Glover in the series which revolves around two cousins on their way up through the Atlanta rap scene whose opposing views on art versus commerce, success and race, will make their quest anything but easy.

Here’s a breakdown of each character the above actors will play:

– Donald Glover will play Earnest “Earn” Marks, a loner who left Atlanta only to return; now working an unglamorous job and barely getting by. When his cousin Alfred becomes Atlanta’s hot rapper, Earn sees an opportunity to manage Alfred’s career.

– Brian Tyree Henry will play Alfred Miles, Atlanta’s hot of the moment rapper who plans to capitalize on the sudden fame as quickly as possible. Henry is currently recurring on HBO’s “Vice Principals.” He will next be seen in the feature film “Puerto Ricans in Paris.” He’s also done some theatre, including Broadway’s “Book of Mormon.”

– Lakeith Lee Stanfield will play Darius, Alfred’s oddly talented right-hand man and musical collaborator. Stanfield can currently be seen in “Dope,” and will next be seen in the features “Snowden,” “Straight Outta Compton” and “Miles Ahead,” among several others.

– Zazie Beetz will play Van, a pragmatist caught up in a complicated relationship with Earn (Donald Glover) due to their daughter. Beetz is currently shooting “Wolves” for writer/director Bart Freundlich. She has appeared will next be seen in the feature “Finding Her.”

“’Atlanta’ draws on Donald’s considerable talents as a musician, actor and writer to give us something unique,” said Nick Grad, FX president of original programming. “The story is made all the more powerful by the great cast and the contributions of Donald’s fellow executive producer, Paul Simms, and director Hiro Murai.”

2. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    My gut tells me that this show will be wack...but beloved by critics...

3. SwagJack

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Teaser sucks. Gives absolutely no inclination of what the show is about nor does it get me amped. This show has been in development for about two years. Thought it died on the vine, but glad to see signs that it's actually coming to TV soon. I know Donald can act, but I'm a little skeptical about him being the series lead. But I guess he created it as a vehicle for himself, so whatevs. I'll give it a shot to fail up, just like all the shitty white sitcoms and dramas get. But you know if it doesn't pop within 4-5 episodes, they'll prolly pull it. Ask W Kamau Bell. Gotta love that level playing field.

Jdudre dapped this.
  4. Nick Delmacy

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    @SwagJack Here is the unreleased trailer with actual footage from the show:

5. SwagJack

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Cool. Cuz that first teaser just looked like, "Oh, hey. There goes Donald Glover and two of his dusty ass homies walking across the street in the ATL about to bum $5 from somebody so they can get some Backwoods and a couple bottles of Tropical Fantasy from the corner store."

Looks like it may be a slow burn, which most new black shows can't afford. But that could just be a premature judgement call. A part of me thinks FX is green lighting it because of Empire's success on its sister network. But seeing as Empire's about to be on it's third season, I'm still wondering why it took them so long. Even though Nashville but the dust, music industry dramas are definitely in. Even HBO threw a dog in the fight with Vinyl (which underperformed during its first season, despite being attached to names like Mick Jagger and Martin Scorsese). Hope Atlanta does well tho. Got a soft (and a hard) spot for Gambino.

6. BrentForays

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    Dating:
    Single
    This show looks like it will be great. Its just nice to see black tv shows again. 3-4 years ago there were absolutely no stories with us at all.

7. Omega Level

Omega Level DRACARYS
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Its interesting. On television right now the black narrative seems to be the re-telling of slavery (whether trying to be free or becoming a slave. Executives want to keep that story alive to remind us, don't get too "high and mighty")

or

You live in ATLANTA.

As if EVERY black person in America lives in Atlanta. And thats the only place for us.

Don't get me wrong, I love Atlanta and still consider it a big part of my life. Lived there for close to 10 years, but GAWT DAMNnn!!!

8. SwagJack

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Even though I'm optimistic, I'm taking a wait & see position on this one. I just hope this means there's a new album coming. This dude made us wait 3 yrs on some Beyoncé shit.

9. Nick Delmacy

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
  10. SwagJack

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Just saw the spot for this during the 4th quarter commercial break of the Cavs/ Warriors game 6.