Gay Men React to Depictions of Themselves In Vintage Sitcoms

Discussion in 'Television and Web Series' started by BlackguyExecutive, Mar 3, 2017.

1. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
  2. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Im prob gonna catch flack for this, but while I think the experiment concept was interesting, it was pretty much 'preaching to the choir' in a sense...

alton dapped this.
  3. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    It was a bit triggering, to use the new age phrasing. I remember watching those shows and not really feeling any kind of way but looking back I was a little triggered by how insulting the comedy felt.

4. SB3

Daps Received:
    I actually moreso meant that the guys in the experiment didn't exactly debunk any gay stereotypes...

But yea, as far as In Living Color, it was like a gay version of stepn fetchit, smh

5. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    lol you are kind of wrong for it...c'mon these guys are not exactly screaming queens now. They are not paragons of masculinity dripping with testosterone and looking like a hot serial killer like you(you know I am joking with ya)but they are not exactly like Antoine and Blaine either. And most important to me, they did not get all bitchy and queeny-that behavior that I associate(yeah not fair to an extent)with the ultra feminine gays that is the thing I dislike the most.

6. SB3

Daps Received:
    I didn't mean it as a gripe or complaint about the guys, I was just calling a spade a spade. But no offense intended.

alton dapped this.
  7. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Sorry but I found this discombobulated and without true direction. Its like the tried to unpack 5 different topics in 4 min.

alton and SB3 dapped this.
  8. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    And I might add, if I remember correctly, the Different Strokes and Moesha episodes were "pro-gay, be true to your self leaning" So it wasn't as if the episodes were pro anti-homosexuality. So what were they triggered about?

To me these guys were in job interview mode. They toned down their femininity the best they could. Right after the In Living Color clip, dude even said he couldn't trash part of his own mannerism. I have a feeling outside of the interview / studio, three of them are on the higher end of displaying stereotypical gay exaggerated femininity just as Gay Culture celebrates and promotes.

I will be 41 this year and I still have not discovered where Gay Voice magically comes from or how it develops.

#8 OckyDub, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    alton, redsai84 and SB3 dapped this.
  9. itsumoconfused

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I feel like the point is probably to be used as a convo starter. So yeah preaching in a way, but outside of this site and maybe in our own personal interactions--how often are topics like this bought up specifically about Black & Latino Men of color and actually vocalized beyond those circles.

I feel like we spend a lot of time internalizing issues relating to this topic but don't speak up much about it, get used by the system and get stressed. Like being a double minority and what not, the sh*t is stressful.

And in regards to the guys that participated, I feel like the type of people that generally get invested about such topics are "these kinds of folks," because the hyper masculine dudes are like: "well I don't have to walk around the earth with a necessary doubleness." [Not that they don't have to, but they can do whatever the hell they want and mostly not get bothered by other peeps, that's not to say they don't have issues with identity]. And then all the in-between people (which I would classify myself as primarily because I'm goofy as hell so people don't necessarily think of me as a sexual being but I'm also part jock) are stuck bouncing between inner monologues of am I offended am I not? (Can't think of a better way to explain right at the moment).

As a larger platform, I would say nice job to Buzzfeed for getting that out there at the least, but I would also like to feel like I can emphasize more with folks that are not like caricatures of either extreme.

#9 itsumoconfused, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    NikR and ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  10. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    None taken. And to be honest, they very well may have been sort of trying to 'butch it up' like Ocky said. I bet at least one of them was desperately trying to hold back the insulted raging screaming head bobbing finger snapping dragging and reading queen the very best they could lol.

NikR dapped this.