Georgia Senate passes religious freedom bill

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by OckyDub, Feb 20, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Another reason why local elections and voting are more important than presidential ones. I looked at those who voted yes on the bill. All were white male republicans with the exception of one white female republican.
    [​IMG]
    (CNN)After lengthy debate, Georgia's state Senate passed an amended version of a religious freedom bill Friday, sending it back to the House and infuriating critics who slam the revised measure as anti-gay and lesbian.

If the Republican-led House agrees with the Senate version, it will go to Gov. Nathan Deal to sign. If not, it could end up being changed again.

House Bill 757 passed the Senate 38-14 after three hours of debate that was, at times, heated. Last week it passed the House 161-0-- but the Senate version combined it with another more controversial bill.

Now the bill blends the Pastor Protection Act, which would enable religious leaders to refuse to perform same-sex marriages, and the First Amendment Defense Act, which critics have said would allow tax-funded groups to deny services to gays and lesbians.

The bill's Senate sponsor, Greg Kirk, a Republican, said the revised bill is about equal protection and not discrimination, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

"It only impacts the government's interaction with faith-based organizations or a person who holds faith-based, sincerely held beliefs as it relates to marriage," he said.

Georgia Unites Against Discrimination called the bill "state-sanctioned discrimination." On its Facebook page, the organization said the proposed legislation would "allow tax-payer funded organizations to legally discriminate against LGBT Georgians."

The group has previously said the bill would also hurt single or unmarried parents and people of different religions.

Speaker's office: This is unusual path for bill
    Kaleb McMichen, a spokesman for House Speaker David Ralston, said it is unusual to mesh measures this early in the legislative session.

"This is traveling a little off an unusual route," McMichen said.

HB 757 was introduced in July and had three purposes:

-- It cleared ministers from having to perform marriages that violated their religious beliefs;

-- Business owners could remain closed on Saturday or Sunday if working conflicted with their religious beliefs; and

-- Religious institutions did not have to rent facilities for ceremonies that violated their beliefs.

"The section (the Senate) added is much broader than the bill we passed," McMichen said.

The revised legislation now includes Senate Bill 284, which says it would "prohibit discriminatory action against a person who believes, speaks, or acts in accordance with a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction that marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman or that sexual relations are properly reserved to such marriage."

McMichen said he expects the bill to come back to the House on Monday or Tuesday, but noted that Ralston can call for a vote at any time during the session -- which is scheduled to end March 24 -- or not at all.

He said the speaker was focused on Georgia's budget on Friday.

If the House votes to disagree with the changes, the bill will go back to the Senate, which has the option of rescinding the changes or not and passing it on to a committee comprising members of both houses.

Other laws and bills
    Religious freedom bills across the country have been controversial. Indiana passed legislation last year but after backlash overhauled the law with a follow-up measure intended to ease concerns driven by businesses that it could lead to discrimination.

The Indiana law had drawn criticism from major companies like Apple, Walmart and Salesforce, as well as sports associations like the NCAA, NBA and NFL.

Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson signed a religious freedom measure into law that same week after state lawmakers overhauled their proposal so that it mirrored federal law.

The first-term Republican governor had rejected the first version Arkansas lawmakers had sent to his desk, instead asking for two tweaks so there would be no daylight between his state's law and the one President Bill Clinton signed in 1993.

There is some form of religious freedom acts in 21 states, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Another 15 states debated religious freedom bills during 2015 -- Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, West Virginia and Wyoming.

Efforts failed in Montana, South Dakota, Utah, West Virginia and Wyoming.

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  2. Jai

Jai Being strong minded.
    The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Asexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Well thats not nice

3. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Ugh. Just look at the backlash that happened in Indiana. So Georgia follows in the footsteps of....Indiana. SMH.

I just looked up some info on Georgia. I thought it had more blacks than it does. Since 1990, the % of the population that is black has only gone up from 27% to 30.5%. I thought it was more than that.

4. Sean P

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    The fiction that religious people's rights to freely exercise their beliefs are being restricted in violation of the First Amendment is merely a convenient excuse to discriminate against others and impose their extremist views on public life. I'm trying to figure out what happened to actual christianity (as I once knew it), which generally prevailed over protestant and catholic extremism when I was coming up. Cloaking bigotry in so called religious beliefs does not make one's derision and hatred for others acceptable. As Chicagoans were urged in the mid-19th century, vote early and often! Don't let the bastards win...

Cyrus-Brooks and ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  5. grownman

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I have to pass this information on to my buddy since he is a Chicagoan.

6. Sean P

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    @grownman, Ocky was highlighting a vote that was taken by the Georgia state senate. I was merely co-opting a 19th century saying commonly used in Chicago as a way to urge everyone on the site to vote and keep extremists out of their respective state legislatures.

7. grownman

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I know. He doesn't watch or follow politics.

8. Sean

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Yeah, but Justice Scalia's death just highlighted the importance of civic participation all-around and at every level. We will need progressive leaning justices on the federal bench (at every level) who are appointed by a progressive leaning president who can throw shit like this out and deem it unconstitutional.

Voting at the local is still more important though. By far!

BTW, if anyone ever wants to run for office, hit me up.

grownman dapped this.
  9. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    But Christianity is a religion of love, tolerance, and forgiveness.....or at least that's what apologists, some of whom frequent this site would have us believe. Funny how the actions of Christians are the exact opposite of what their religion supposedly represents. This move by the state house of Georgia is exactly why I have no respect for religion or religious people's beliefs .

10. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    There are exceptions(Xian people who actually try and do the 'What would Jesus do?' thing), overall I agree. Why can't they just practice their religion in peace and let other people live their lives? They feel under attack and yet no other group just loves to dictate how others should live their lives.

Don't like abortion? Then don't get one.
    Mad that schools cannot religiously indoctrinate students? That is what private religious schools and Sunday school is for.
    Don't like Gay marriage? Then don't get gay married.

Oh and yeah, your churches need to start paying damn taxes if you can't stay out of people's lives and when you have become basically politically active organizations with just a touch of 'faith' thrown in.