Hap and Leonard

Discussion in 'Television and Web Series' started by OckyDub, Dec 16, 2015.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

I hate when I see plans for a new TV show or movie, get my hopes up and nothing comes to fruition. It’s worse when you hear the news and tell others, who also get excited and they come to you later and ask…“what ever happened to that show you told me about?” This is the reason I’ve been reluctant to share certain projects (live action Akira or Ninja Scrolls) that peck my interest with the Cypher Ave audience.

Back in 2014 I heard about possible development of a show based on the adventures of Hap and Leonard. Having never heard of the book series by author Joe Lansdale (who first introduced the duo in 1990 with Savage Season) my interest in the show was based upon reading the description of Leonard, “a Black crime fighting Vietnam vet who is also homosexual.” As not to get my hopes up (just in case the TV show may never come) I did at least want to read one of the novels.

[​IMG]

This past summer more blurbs come out stating that the project had been greenlit, casting was in progress, shooting was to begin later in 2015 and the series would premier on Sundance channel…meh. I still needed more evidence. Well, the additional evidence is here as we get our first look at Hap and Leonard.

Leonard will be play by Michael K. Williams, better known from his breakout role as Omar in HBO’s The Wire. Set in the 1980’s, the Sundance channel will premier 6 one hour long episodes reportedly in early 2016.

Additional details on the main characters;

Leonard Pine is a gay, black Vietnam vet with serious anger issues. He was raised by his uncle who shunned him after learning he was gay. However, when his uncle passes away, he leaves his house and all his assets to Leonard. Leonard has zero tolerance for racist or anti-gay slurs. Although Hap dislikes guns, Leonard has no problem carrying or using them. Quick to anger, at times he cannot understand Hap’s aversion to violence or killing if necessary, even when provoked. His relationships are also short and tempestuous. Leonard is the much more aggressive of the two and repeatedly burned down a local crack house that used to be his new next door neighbor.

Hap Collins (played by James Purefoy) is a white working class laborer who spent time in federal prison as a young man for refusing to be drafted into the military and serve in the Vietnam War. In his late forties, he is often haunted by the various unpleasant jobs he’s held over the years such as working at an aluminum chair factory and working the East Texas rose fields. The two now work for the former police officer turned private investigator Marvin Hanson. Hap tries his best to avoid violence and also tries his best to avoid the taking of another human life. Often lovesick, most of his relationships haven’t worked out. He is currently with his on-again-off-again girlfriend Brett Sawyer. Some of his past has been taken from Mr. Lansdale’s own past. The stories are told from Hap’s narrative point of view. Not as quick to anger as Leonard, he often finds himself attempting to talk Leonard out of committing serious violence.

Glad to see there will be a homosexual man of color on TV in 2016 (albeit for only 6 episodes) that will add to a small but growing list of non-stereotypical characters. Cypher Avenue will provide more details of actually air dates of Hap & Leonard when they become available. Props to the Sundance channel.
    [​IMG]

Read the whole post here.

#1 OckyDub, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    eli94, SB3, Tyroc and 1 other person dapped this.
  2. grownman

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Excited already.

Cyrus-Brooks and Dante dapped this.
  3. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    This sounds really interesting. I hope this show does make it to TV. This sounds like something I'd watch.

4. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Yea, this is def my speed.

5. Artistic Arsonist

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Sounds legit! And it's only 6 episodes long, so I don't have to make a huge commitment lol. Maybe it'll make up for my crushed hopes for the Akira movie, the new Silent Hill game, and Awkward Black Girl becoming a TV show.

6. Jaa

Jaa
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Awkward Black Girl may not be becoming a show, but another Issa Rae project is supposed to air on HBO next year.

Issa Rae Comedy 'Insecure' Gets HBO Series Order

Artistic Arsonist dapped this.
  7. Artistic Arsonist

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I hope it follows through. She's too talented for all her stuff to be on YouTube only.

grownman dapped this.
  8. hannibal

Most Comedic Player Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I'm going to watch it.

9. DreG

DreG is a Featured MemberDreG Art Heaux
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Michael K Williams is one of my favorite actors.I was gonna watch just 'cause of him but the info seems pretty interesting.

10. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I will check this out, if it breathes through the mainstream movie/TV circuit. At this point, I want to see more roles bringing gay and bisexual men, specifically Black men into a positive lense, even if the role is crazy and can get the "They put too much gay s888 on TV" homophobs/biphobs throwing up at the television screen.

Michael is a great actor and the Omar character on The Wire was SOOOOO important. I hope that this role showcases more of his talent. And I hope that his role wasn't watered down and was changed and molded in a way to be corny with his character to appease the "They put too much gay s888 on TV" homophobs/biphobs or to ruin his "manhood" a.k.a straighthood.

grownman dapped this.
  11. Jaa

Jaa
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    The show has a good chance of remaining true to its origin if it's on Sundance. They often aim for an indie film audience. I've seen Rectify and that defies most modern TV rules. Most would find it incredibly slow or feel that "nothing happens" in most episodes because of its lack of flash (there are beautiful shots but little action or fancy camerawork) and focus on character over plot.

#11 Jaa, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    OckyDub dapped this.
  12. SwagJack

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Just saw the TV spots for this show over the weekend. Looking forward to seeing this one.

13. jpo

jpo
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    I loved the first season, read a couple of books, and thanks to @Ockydub watched the vice interview with Williams. I think they mentioned season 3, so that means there must be (or have been) a season 2, which I will have to find. Williams shows a good comic sense as well as the menace he is so good at projecting.

OckyDub dapped this.
  14. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I just started watching season 1 on Netflix. So far I'm enjoying it. I was intrigued by the premise before I started watching and I'm a fan of Michael K Williams so I was excited to finally watch it.
    unnamed (2).jpg

OckyDub dapped this.