Homo-eroticism in Today's Culture.

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by tigerbreaux, Dec 2, 2015.

1. tigerbreaux

tigerbreaux Polymath In-training
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    While we're all privy to the fact that gay slang and culture has been mainstreamed by women for some time now, and has even made the crossover into everyday usage by men ("read", "shade", "kiki", wearing women's clothing, etc) within the last 5 years, one thing I'm starting to notice A LOT of lately is homo-eroticism being explicitly and blatantly used by men.

For example: You see a lot of straight men kissing each other for laughs these days (primarily by white men of course), but you are even starting to see black men complementing other men on their look (which I don't see a problem with). The main thing that caught my attention was a number of straight men are starting to pay particularly close attention to gay men and the power of the gay dollar.

Prime example: Nick Jonas. Ever since he did that magazine spread where he was naked and showing off his butt, he has started to do increasingly gay things: frequenting & hosting his album listening party in a gay club, and playing gay characters on tv. While on the one hand inclusion can be admirable , pandering gives me pause.

We all know hip-hop has been secretly doing this for YEARS in there imagery, but I think this will start to crossover to being not-so-overt in the very near future.

IDK if there's a question in there somewhere, but this was just something I was think about. Feel free to share your thoughts.

2. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I haven't seen the homo-eroticism specifically in black men except for the ones purposely exploiting the shock value, but the terminology has def permeated black culture. My very heterosexual nephew casually threw around the word "Shade" all throughout the Thanksgiving holiday.

3. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    To be honest, I'm not even entirely sure what homo-eroticism is. I remember watching some show a few years back and they said 50 Cent's "In Da Club" video was homo-erotic because he was doing sit-ups shirtless upside down. Kinda weird, but really? How is that homo-erotic? They also described playgirl magazine as homo-erotic. I get it. Gay men are half the readership, but there's nothing innately homosexual about it. It's just naked dudes targeted for a female audience. Is it because gay men like shirtless and naked dudes? So do straight women. And if that's the case, why aren't women in bikinis considered "lesbian-erotic?"

tigerbreaux dapped this.
  4. tigerbreaux

tigerbreaux Polymath In-training
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Don't worry, it's coming. It's only a matter of time lol.

5. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Yeah I agree...I think Gay men tend to falsely call anything that turns them on Homo-Erotic. In reality it's just men being men. I think some of the close contact sports like football are def homoerotic...and professional wrestling....but a guy working out shirtless on the beach or in a music video is far from homo-erotic.

acessential and OckyDub dapped this.
  6. Infinite_loop

Infinite_loop Is this thing on?
    Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    "Homoerotic" encompasses both male and female homosexual eroticism. Although, like many things in life, this term is heavily used towards males than females.

7. acessential

Daps Received:
    So is basically anything that would turn gay men on be considered homo-erotic?

8. cypher21

cypher21 Deactivated Account
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    According to Wikipedia lol:
    Homoeroticism
    [​IMG]
    Homoeroticism is sexual attraction between members of the same sex, either male–male or female–female.The concept differs from the concept of homosexuality: it refers specifically to the desire itself, which can be temporary, whereas "homosexuality" implies a more permanent state of identity or sexual orientation.

It is a much older concept than the 19th century idea of homosexuality, and is depicted or manifested throughout the history of the visual arts and literature. It can also be found in performative forms; from theatre to the theatricality of uniformed movements (e.g., the Wandervogel and Gemeinschaft der Eigenen).

According to Oxford English Dictionary, it's "pertaining to or characterized by a tendency for erotic emotions to be centered on a person of the same sex; or pertaining to a homo-erotic person."

9. acessential

Daps Received:
    Thanks, but I'm still confused. lol. From whose perspective? What's homo-erotic to one person may not be homo-erotic to the next.

10. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    The initial definition redefines the blatant definition of homosexuality. I would think the definition is the "illusion" of acting off of being gay or the "parody" alluding something/someone to be gay under a presumption right?

11. cypher21

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I guess I agree that, the first definition is supposedly the root of the term and concept of homosexuality. It came first.

12. cypher21

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    That's true but you shouldn't get too caught up in that though, because everyone is going to have their own point of view on it. The origin of a word however in terms of facts leaves little interpretation do that's why I like to know them. It gives us common ground to walk on.