I only date guys with high credit scores

Discussion in 'Dating and Relationships' started by mojoreece, Aug 26, 2016.

1. mojoreece

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I only date guys with high credit scores
    By Christian Gollayan via nypost.com
    [​IMG]
    When it comes to love, Martina Paillant won’t settle for someone who has a credit score below 700.

“I need a man who has his life together and can pay his bills,” the 22-year-old Canarsie, Brooklyn, resident tells The Post.

Paillant, who attends graduate school in Miami, asks potential suitors their credit scores by the fourth date. While some may call her snooty for checking someone’s FICO number before becoming Facebook official, she’s been focused on her finances since she was 16 years old and has a credit score above 800.

“I was raised in a family of professionals who keep their finances in check and taught me how to handle my money,” says Paillant, who splits her time between Miami and Brooklyn. “I have no student loans and I can already take care of myself financially. I need a man who can take care of himself, too.”

Millennials, who came of age during the recession and carry astronomical student debt, are bucking the tradition of staying mum on money and prioritizing it when looking for a mate. And for good reason: A 2015 study from the Federal Reserve Board found that couples with high credit scores — above 750 — are more likely to stay together; couples with lower-than-average numbers (below 600) are up to three times more likely to separate than those with average scores. A discrepancy is also a bad sign — the study found that a 66-point difference is linked to a 24 percent greater chance the couple will break up.

“Millennials are the most indebted generation in American history,” says Lynnette Khalfani-Cox, author of “College Secrets: How To Save Money, Cut College Costs and Graduate Debt Free.” “Of course they’d care more about a person’s credit history before tying down their finances together.”

‘I can already take care of myself financially. I need a man who can take care of himself, too.’
    - Martina Paillant
    Khalfani-Cox says credit scores are also a practical way to see if a partner knows how to prioritize and can be depended on to follow through on prior commitments. Bronx resident Equana Cobb was on a date last year when the guy started talking about buying a car and other big-ticket items, only to find out later that he still lived with his mom.

“I had to ask him about his credit score,” says Cobb, a 32-year-old graduate student. “It’s a way to see that he knows how to pay his bills on time.” While she was satisfied with his high-600s rating, they split a month later.

Khalfani-Cox says asking dates about their finances, especially credit scores, is a smart move, because money disagreements are the No. 1 cause of divorce.

“Marriage and relationships are not just an emotional, personal bond, they’re also to a large extent a financial commitment,” says Khalfani-Cox. “It’s completely appropriate when dating to have a good understanding of your partner’s credit health.”

A gender imbalance also exists when it comes to credit scores and dating. According to a study by Bankrate, 43 percent of women are likely to consider a date’s score, compared with 32 percent of men. But Khalfani-Cox says that doesn’t mean women who ask guys for their FICO number are gold diggers.

“A man’s credit score has nothing to do with his income,” Khalfani-Cox says. “It tells the person’s level of fiscal responsibility and how they’ve handled past obligations. A person with a high credit score shows they’re trustworthy, responsible and reliable with their finances.”

Cobb, whose credit score is in the high 600s, agrees.

“If a guy has a credit score in the 650s and says that he’s working to build his credit, I’d definitely still consider him,” she says. “But I’m in my 30s and I’m not wasting my time with someone who doesn’t want to level up and take care of their finances.”

Still, not all dating experts are onboard with the trend.

‘I’m not wasting my time with someone who doesn’t want to level up and take care of their finances.’
    - Equana Cobb
    “That’s a ridiculous thing to ask,” says Brian Howie, author of “How To Find Love in 60 Seconds.” “If someone has a low credit score, it could mean they had a financial emergency.”

Plus, waiting for your dream partner to come along, with a dream credit score to match, can be a long shot. Some money-conscious singles are taking fate into their own hands by joining dating sites that specifically cater to their needs.

That’s how Philadelphia couple Amanda and Devon Buchanan met in 2014. After both were burned by former flames with bad financial histories, they signed up for CreditScoreDating.com, which matches users based on their credit history. Amanda and Devon’s scores were both in the low 600s.

They went on their first date in July 2014 and married nine months later.

“A big part of why our relationship worked out was because we were upfront with our finances,” says Amanda, a human resources manager.

Now, the Buchanans are hoping to purchase a home within the year.

“It’s easier to plan since we’re both on the same page,” says Amanda, 35. “It makes us feel more like a team.”
    [​IMG]

Dreamwalker and Jdudre dapped this.
  2. mojoreece

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Its amazing that the 22 year old would think like this when most of her generation (including me lol) are struggling with student loan debt, credit cards ect to while trying to get a foothold in a decent career find or just find a good paying job right out of school. Or trying to make it in school or grad school. This generation is the most independent ( and most in dept) generation so unless folks were luck to have good sponsors, wealthy helpful parents or nice sugar daddies most are in the struggle. I don't necessary blame her for wanting someone the that is financial stable (dont we all?) and has god credit but to correlate a credit number to someones character and well being is kind of drastic and will limit your options especially at 22!. Most ppl dont even start making good money/pay off most debt/ until their 30's. I guess that's good old elitism and capitalism for you. Why coudnt I be born to some talented 10th% black bourgeoisie folk? lol

#2 mojoreece, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Dreamwalker, Jdudre and Winston Smith dapped this.
  3. jpo

jpo
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    She sounds like the old line about George Bush - he was born on third base and believed he'd hit a triple. 22, no student loan debt, a good credit score, time split between Miami and Brooklyn - she doesn't know how lucky she is. Watch out for that Miami bit though, Zika be bad kharma.

ColumbusGuy, Jdudre and mojoreece dapped this.
  4. RolandG

Bae Material Squad Leader The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    It's complicated
    While she does seem a bit snobbish, I commend her for prioritizing her finances and making sure she doesn't attach herself to a deadbeat who will only drag her down. Props.

5. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    This is my answer to her:

SB3 dapped this.
  6. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Having got the feels last night from watching women in prison docs on TLC, and how many of theses women ended up there because of the influence of some worthless white trash dude or street nikka, I don't blame this young lady for having her act together at such a young age, quite glad actually. When individuals step up their game it makes potential partners have to step up theirs.

I see it like @Ockydub 's perspective on those who use filters on dating apps; she's saving dudes time by letting them know who she's interested in and who she isn't. That being said, people's FICO scores change all the time, you have to take people by the trend line of their lives, not just a discrete value or a blip. A lot of otherwise responsible people got jacked up by the 2008 crisis. Having worked in debt collections at the time, I know most people end up in bankruptcy due to catastrophic medical bills or massively unexpected downturns and unemployment (2008) not because they are mythical deadbeats walking out on credit card debts. The greatest saboteur and traitor in US history had a perfect credit rating and didn't register on any security check radars:
    Robert Hanssen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    That BETTER not be her in the default pic lookin as base model as she does, cus she'd have to pay me. I'm over all of this shyt! Just date someone u vibe w! Wtf is asking for credit scores?! I'm done w this dating 'thing'.

8. SB3

Daps Received:
    Maaan, fuk that! Everytime u turn around there's a new 'filter'! U bag me, and u got a good dude. Are we really abt to make credit score a topic on a date?! Im sure MANY guys feel the exact same way! Im done if that's the new norm.

9. SB3

Daps Received:
    Just remember, it's perfectly ok for u to start listening to some age appropriate shyt tho man. Post some Stevie once in a while negro. Best artist ever. So post him.

ColumbusGuy and Winston Smith dapped this.
  10. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    The reality is that we live in the data mining age. It'll get worse before it gets better.

A date? No. But if a few dates roll into "relationship" status, subject definitely needs to come up at some point. As I said, the sum of a person is more that a discrete value. But if things progress into living together/marriage, the other person's financial/legal status can affect your own well-being or even employment.

Anyway, just a discussion reaction, not the way I operate daily. The young lady in @mojoreece 's original post will (hopefully) adjust her outlook as she gets older. You may look down on some people for whatever reason, but there's always scores of other people in a position to look down on you as well. I'm sure her perfect score will never get her into certain posh soirées in Hyannis Port or Kennebunkport.

And yes, Stevie is great. But everything after "In Square Circle"...meh...and that's coming from a dude who thinks this album is genius
    Stevie Wonder's Journey Through "The Secret Life of Plants" - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11. Jdudre

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing Sex and all that other stuff is fine but after watching my mother and the other women of my family (not to mention me) go through some shit because they let there " emotions" guide their love life I can't hate on her. Watching out for yourself financial and making sure your future partner knows how to balance a checkbook and have some basic financial know how is key in this day in age.

Winston Smith dapped this.
  12. jusrawb

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Nothing wrong with wanted someone on the same financial level but something tells me that that's not the only qualifications he needs to have.

Jdudre dapped this.
  13. Nick Delmacy

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I refuse to view dating as job interviews and business partnerships. To each his own tho.

14. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I kind of hope she runs into one of those situations that is beyond your control and ruins your credit rating. Hubris is a less attractive quality in a mate than indebtedness. Hopefully she will learn this. Sorry, but looking at her pic she is going to need to have $$$$. Just saying. And she is only 22 in that pic! Eat a few sandwiches and shut up.

Jdudre dapped this.
  15. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    If you're goal in dating is looking for a potential life partner; I can understand this concept completely...being that a large portion of divorces are related to financial strains.

As a person who doesn't have a lot of money but great credit...why would I want to date someone who makes poor financial or life decisions?

ControlledXaos, Winston Smith and SB3 dapped this.
  16. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Oh for Christ's sake-see Rico's post! Poor credit does not have to necessarily equate with 'making poor life or financial choices". SMDH. Three biggest reasons for bankruptcy: catastrophic illness, divorce, loss of job. Like none of that can just 'happen to you' and is a 'poor choice'

Let this woman get cancer and have a drug she needs but is not covered by any insurance because it is experimental-then see what her credit score is.

Poor credit and financial distress often comes from marriage(divorce) as much as financial stress contributes to divorce. I would venture to say it is worse.

17. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    @Nick Delmacy to me you're being a bit contradictory. We've done plenty of podcast where we've talked about pretentious materialistic gays spending money on frivolous fashions while living with 3 roommates. Being against this and not wanting to date someone with a low credit score, while not the exact same thing IS in the same vein.

Your thoughts?

SB3 dapped this.
  18. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    However it could. That is a part of dating; finding out someone's character to fit or compliment YOUR personality, needs, and characteristics.

FYI: I don't have a problem with a broke dude with a horrible credit score that has potential and is working towards bettering himself which includes financially. I would try to find this out during the dating process. Nonetheless if someone says they need this quality up front, while I may personally disagree, I do understand and agree with their reasons.

ControlledXaos and Winston Smith dapped this.
  19. Nick Delmacy

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    It's like you've said in the past, if I'm doing well financially, what does that have to do with the dude I'm dating...especially if he's not asking me to pay his bills, etc.

I'm not dating someone to find a loan co-signer or start an LLC.....I'm dating for companionship, intimacy, emotional support, physical support, loneliness insurance, etc. Financials can become a factor, but usually that comes when couples try to live above their means or keep up with the Joneses.

And even though my credit score is above 700, its not in the 800's like that boney chick in the original post wants...but guess what, i prob make more money than her in less amount of time without having to punch a clock. Me knowing that means that I don't boil my men down to societal shit like credit scores.

Lastly, you were a Bernie Sanders supporter, why da fuk are you letting the Big Banks and Big Credit Bureaus determine what men you date?!

mojoreece and Dante dapped this.
  20. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Yeah I guess it could. I guess since I am a financial mess I take this personally and I should not. Damn I was so pissed off I got up out of my chair and pulled a muscle in my upper back/side. Now I am going to have to go to work tomorrow all sore and sh@t smh. It really is a matter relating to the individual and someone should not be grouped or categorized either way(as either stereotype, victim of circumstances or victim of poor choices). Many people may be a combination of both. Terrible things happening to you can lead to poor decision making(this would be me lol).

Yeah I guess they do have that right and better to be upfront about it. Again this is a very touchy subject for me I admit. I have a lot of guilt about this. I had an excellent credit score until all hell broke lose in my life. You never know what will happen to you, or how you will necessarily respond to it.

21. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I get it. However, TBH, she is living in a Cinderella world. Pretty much, she may be looking for a rich dude that can help her attain and maintain a certain lifestyle. And in her world, high credit score means "he got money". She needs to keep it the fuck real.

mojoreece dapped this.
  22. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    :franko1:
    Like I stated above to Columbus Guy (and keep in mind you know my personal history)

"FYI: I don't have a problem with a broke dude with a horrible credit score that has potential and is working towards bettering himself which includes financially. I would try to find this out during the dating process. Nonetheless if someone says they need this quality up front, while I may personally disagree, I do understand and agree with their reasons."

23. SB3

Daps Received:
    I just think it's absurd to even be THINKING abt someone's credit score on...hell, even date 6! There's a time and place for everything, including that conversation. This has no business being discussed in such an early stage of an all ready difficult dating life. Bull shyt!

And my father's unfortunate death allowed me to pay off most of my debts, so don't get it twisted! I just think this shyt is all the way bogus! And lowkey disgusting. Try getting to the point where you like someone enough for this to matter.

24. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    But what is good for the goose is good for the gander(I am so fuking old saying that lol).

If she needs this 'quality' of having a certain credit score, she can't say shit about some hot black guy with a great credit score wanting a woman who 'has the quality' of being stereotypically beautiful, or (Gawd forbid) the 'quality' of being white. It is all about an individual's choices and what they want for their life, right?

Maybe a guy with a high credit score might need a woman who does not look liker her mother 20 years before she should, and after the mother just got out of a concentration camp to boot!

Am I bitter about this topic or what?

:ravetho::sadbron::snoop::yeshrug:

* And I would not be against dating someone who could cosign on a loan and all...just sayin'.

25. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    While I agree to disagree to agree while kinda still disagreeing...

You can find out this information with out directly asking but just having a conversation about finances and investing during the dating process.

Also I hope folks are having actual conversations between face to face dates.

26. SB3

Daps Received:
    Financial convos are fine, eventually. But if after 2 dates u realize, there won't be a date 3, what would be the point? I'm just over this 'checklist' style of dating. As long as I don't have to pay for every damn date, Im good for a while. We'll get into each other's finances once we start to matter to each other!

27. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    The girl reads @Nick Delmacy comments and sighs, "Why are the good credit score ones always gay?!?!"
    :dead1:

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  28. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Ha! I'm going to have to turn this into a separate thread just on the fallacies of FICO scores and modern data conceptions. Like the original purpose of the Stanford-Binet IQ test and Social Security numbers, FICO scored are being given too much credit (pun intended) for realities that they don't reflect. They were created to show a statistical LIKELIHOOD (not CERTAINTY) that someone extended credit would or would not default on loans, accounts, etc. Now people, like Facebook and this young lady, are making interpretations of these scores beyond their intent. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees of data. That's why I cited Robert Hansen and you could throw Edward Snowden in there too. Two white guys with perfect credit, therefore security investigators for Federal jobs see them as good guys when doing background, supposedly because they didn't have bad credit and couldn't be bribed; yet they both turned to be the biggest saboteurs in US history. I know other people who have went through bankruptcy, including dudes I served with in Iraq, yet had clearances and were as trustworthy as Mother Teresa.

Then there are people who live quite well with absolutely no credit accounts or scores, Dave Ramsey being the most current famous example. Ramsey, of course, could buy this young lady a million times over.

Good discussion overall, I just hope people don't judge others based on bad interpretations of stats, math and assumptions.

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  29. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Stanford-Binet. lol. I took the WAIS when I was 18. twelve different parts, half an hour each part. Administered by a licensed Psychologist and costing ALOT for 1981. My best friend was obsessed with the whole thing and made me do it to shut him up-and so he could come out as 'smarter' lol.

That thing took eight. hours. to. complete. And it was all verbal or manual, like an oral test but with performance sections as well. Even the math questions were oral-you had to do it in your head as it went along! There was a math question that was very long and I got almost to the end-until I messed up. I knew the answer was somewhere between about 25 and 75 so I just guessed '51'-and I was right. The look of shock on his face..he blurted out 'That's right!' and he was not supposed to say anything. Sample question: Word association- apple? (the best response was 'orange'-which I got). But you were rated not only by accuracy, but also by time. The longer it took the lower your score on a question.

The worst part was a performance part where you had to put together shapes to form something, and these shapes did not have any flat parts or anything like a jigsaw puzzle and I just could not get one and the time expired and I could not get it. It was an elephant. A fucking elephant.

Anyway, I got a 134 on that test-the 98th percentile(my friend got a 120 on his, 90th percentile, and he was so pissed).

Anyway, I have lost dozens of IQ points over the years, but I still have that test and could wave that shit in front of someone's face and say, "Sorry, I won't consider anyone with an IQ under the 90th percentile-please get an officially recognized IQ test administered by a professional and get back to me if you qualify-and if you don't qualify, don't bother-I have preferences and one of them is for someone with reasonable intelligence." lol

That is about where I put this 'credit score' thing too. Just like I killed off a lot of brain cells, this woman could run up some huge debts-she is only 22-as if a credit score is really something that can tell much about how a person really is at that age LMAO. That she would consider this makes me question her intelligence though for real.

tl;dr....too bad.

30. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Not long, did read lol

Somebody at Washington Post is following CA (lol):
    Some guideposts for those lost in Crazy Credit Town

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  31. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
  32. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Just saw a bunch of posters in MD encouraging people to leave DMV and come to your town (I don't have a clue what the ad slogan "Where standing out means standing alone" was supposed to convey; move to Columbus and be left out? Lol). I don't think you want a bunch of DMV/Georgetown types flooding in 'cause they'd be just like the girl in the original post.

33. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    The slogan should be 'Where standing out never means standing alone' and yes the city wants millennials and 'creative class' elitist types and is actively courting them smh. See Short North.

*I can absolutely see the city getting it wrong and the signs not having the 'never' though lol. Whenever the city does something I sort of cringe and watch with one eye covered.

34. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Freudian on my part, I guess lol. It was just surreal to be deep underground in D.C. and see a poster touting the one "C" city that non-Ohioans never remember ("Cleveland? Cincinnati? Canton? Circleville?"). The word "never" only makes it worse (be your own unique self, just do it with a crowd of other unique so that you're all similarly unique").

And bringing it back to the thread topic, you can have great credit and still be cash poor. Just ask millennial in Columbus, Chicago, DC ... anywhere where you are paying more than 25% of your monthly income on housing/renting. I refuse. There has to be an affordable median between cash poor in the Big City and these fucking idiots on HGTV who are living in rehabbed busses and calling them "tiny homes."

35. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    ^^ It is called a micro apartment or micro house.

microapartment.jpg

Your whole life...in one small room

microhouses.jpg
    Or your whole life in a house the size of a medium sized walk in closet.

* I bet many millennials would take that apartment. If I was just out of college and had little in the way of 'stuff' and the location was optimal...I might go for it-as long as it was not $10.00 a square foot or something which would totally defeat the purpose.