In the Moonlight, Ocky Williams is still Light Skin

Discussion in 'Podcasts' started by OckyDub, Feb 9, 2017.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

After a brief drought, I’m back with some follow up reflections on the film Moonlight. In the podcast I touch on:
    • My connection with the film as it relates to my coming of age as a non-heterosexual Black kid.
    • How self-identified Black Queer men label this film as a “Black Queer Coming of Age film”, while not acknowledging that none of the male characters in the film would self-identify as ‘Queer’.
    • The displays of drama and victimization in films and television series.
    Like, subscribe and share the Ocky Williams Channel.

Regardless if you agree or disagree with my commentary or opinions; feel free to drop me a line and make your views heard in the comment section below.

Read the whole post here.

OhSheit and Champagne Papi dapped this.
  2. hannibal

Most Comedic Player Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I'm about to hate watch this!

3. Comment Imported From Main Site

Daps Received:
    This movie is about a young man with a troubled family life that is perceived different and persecuted from his mostly male classmates, and how he grows up with these challenges that shaped him. The so called gay theme is not the main focus, and when it is presented, it is showcased with great restraint. The movie resonates because many people can understand and can relate and feel empathy for this character. It is a movie with great sensitivity and realism without the caricatures or stereotypes. In short it is a great film regardless of one's sensibilities on the subject. Hence, all the acclaim it has received. It was certainly earned.

4. FREEDOM TRAIN

FREEDOM TRAIN Squad Member

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    MOONLIGHT WAS A GOOD MOVIE. I'M SURPRISE IT WON THE GOLDEN GLOBE AND EVEN NOMINATED FOR AN OSCAR. BUT I CAN'T BUT WONDER IF THE MOVIE ' BIRTH OF A NATION ' WOULD HAVE DONE BETTER AT THE BOX OFFICE , IF IT HAD SOME NUDITY AND [IN MY OPINION ] AT THE END OF THE MOVIE SHOWED HOW NAT TURNER WAS ACTUALLY KILLED AND MADE INTO OIL , IT MIGHT WOULD HAVE GOTTEN SOME NOMINATIONS FROM SOME AWARD SHOW. MAYBE THE NAACP AWARDS MIGHT GIVE IT SOME ATTENTION ON THEIR SHOW. SO SORRY FOR THE ACTORS PAST PROBLEMS. I REALLY THINK WHAT KILLED IT WAS THE FACT IS SHOWED A BLACK MAN GETTING SOME REVENGE FOR HORRIBLE TREAT DURING SLAVERY. > AND WE ALL KNOW THAT " SLAVERY WAS WRONG " AND " WILL NEVER BE RIGHT ". <