Best Posts in Thread: Is it important or not important for your sexuality to be known at the workplace?

1. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    To each his own...

I just don't think that it is necessary. For all jobs I've had, I keep it professional and then go home. I don't bring my outside life to work with me. One masculine Latino dude just casually let it roll off his tongue that he was gay and I was shocked. I didn't see that coming then one co-worker of ours started going around asking all us other guys if we were gay since she felt like these days you cannot tell who is and who is not anymore.

2. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    My company is very gay friendly but I don't think my local branch actually is. There's videos talking about it and anti harassment policies and sign offs that are required across the board. However I'm not going to blab it out.

I don't see any point in me talking about it now. I hope to get married but even after that I probably won't talk about my husband and my vacations much at work.

It'll be something that casually rolls out of my mouth and I'll keep it moving. I'm not going to be hiding it forever but I don't see talking about it without context or relevance.

Cyrus-Brooks, eli94, Kouncelor and 3 others dapped this.
  3. Nicholan

Nicholan Squad Member

Daps Received:
    I don't think it needs to be known at all. At the same time, I don't think that you need to go above and beyond to hide it either. At my job people may have suspicions, but I never actually have that conversation with anyone because I don't work with anyone who I'm close with like that. I go to work, mind my business, and then go home. My work persona is pretty private and my interactions are very surfaced anyway.

NikR, mojoreece, Cyrus-Brooks and 2 others dapped this.
  4. Discordant

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    My dating life doesn't really come up at work so it's never been an issue. But when I've befriended coworkers I usually let them know at some point, so long as it comes organically in conversation. There've been a couple of awkward moments when I ran into one of my students (I was a registrar) at a local club or bar, but it was less about them knowing my sexuality and more about maintaining the proper boundaries for my job. They respected that and I took them on as mentees.

mojoreece, eli94, Dante and 2 others dapped this.
  5. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    My first job out of college was the Military and I couldn't be known, it was during DADT. When I got out of the service I worked in the legal field and only a few people knew. My current job know as a diplomat, political officer, I am known because I have a husband and that is hard to hide in my kind of work. I came out by putting our picture on my desk and most people noticed it the first few days.

I honestly don't think its necessary and it only becomes necessary when it starts to interfere with your happiness and life. People don't realize that keeping secrets and holding in shame is harmful to ones health. If if safe for you to be open at work I say do it because then you don't have to walk around with baggage.

eli94, DreG, Discordant and 2 others dapped this.
  6. Infinite_loop

Infinite_loop Is this thing on?
    Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    I try to not mix church and state aka sexuality and work. It seems though that the culture in the Pacific Northwest is very open and accepting. I don't think it would be a big deal to even bring it at work. I just don't like to be prejudiced for my sexuality. Being black in tech is already hard enough.

7. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I agree with you ALL DAY!