Is it important or not important for your sexuality to be known at the workplace?

Discussion in 'Career, Work, Finances and Education' started by Dante, Oct 9, 2015.

1. takeyourmeds91

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I was just going to tag you for your experience. I've told a few of my classmates but I don't think it's something everyone knows; I also don't have a problem telling them straight up if they ask. My biggest issue is dealing with the folks that think they know something and do a lot of insinuating as if I'm trying to keep it a secret. It's not a secret but I'm not going to go out of my way either.

I've also been kind of concerned about residency. From what I hear, it's the norm to become really tight with your co-residents. If I don't tell them outright, they'll find out eventually but I also don't want to alienate myself when there's only a handful of us. I would assume the same is true in attending-land too.

Why does all of this have to be so difficult? haha

#36 takeyourmeds91, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    mojoreece and NikR dapped this.
  2. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    It's not a yes or no question, something personal that everyone has to chart for her- or himself, based on prevailing laws, office culture and employer. For example, though I supposedly work for an equal opportunity employer (public sector), the one openly gay young man (white) in our office just up and quit. No one outright said certain words or things to him (i.e. actionable speech under EEO), I saw how he was treated (how his work was structured and assigned) and the shit he was given to do compared to his pay grade peers. That he was surrounded by stupid black church heifers in our office couldn't have been healthy. I don't blame him for saying fuck all y'all and seeking greener pastures.

In that respect, I often see how, despite the anti-corporate rhetoric in this country, the private sector is WAY MORE enlightened on making LGBT folk comfortable and wanted in the workplace compared to government jobs where you have to put up with either white alt-right male assholes who are usually doing deviant shit behind the scenes themselves and torture gay/bi folk in the name of their fragile MAGA masculinity (usually law enforcement or military); or the stereotypical fat, loud-mouthed black woman at the BMV type coworker or supervisor.

Cyrus-Brooks and BlackguyExecutive dapped this.
  3. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    It is only getting worse. A lot of my LGBT colleagues are batting down the hatches and trying to ride out storms. Thankfully, many of my LGBT colleagues have highly specialized jobs that are essential to the good order and operations of the service. Although it seems that even people with those skills are being shifted arbitrarily. Most notably physicians who are supposed to be our healthcare providers in remote locations. We just have to ride out the storm.

Cyrus-Brooks and Winston Smith dapped this.
  4. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Amen Brutha BGE, can I get a hallelujah?!!

Lol, seriously I saw them passive-aggressive this young guy to death. Luckily, he's super talented and his partner (he's married like you) is doing well so he was probably like, screw this, I got non-govt options.

Well this is the kind of link I usually serve up to DreG, but since you used the phrase here's our theme song (Sorry, Snoop Dogg, I prefer the original lol)

BlackguyExecutive dapped this.
  5. Boaxy

Boaxy SO FIERCE
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    I understand not everyone will agree with me. That's fine. But I'm still keeping my opinion on this subject.

Whether you're working at "Pop Goes The Weasel Burger", or a Fortune 500 company.

Whether you're masculine, feminine, straight acting, discreet, whatever.

I feel (if you work in an open minded arena, and live in an open minded area) you should most definitely at some point whether it's verbally, non verbally, interpersonally, showing hints etc. Tell your coworkers and company of your sexuality.

There is a certain way to do this yes, but you should still be open to it.

If for any reason that you feel you can't, then I understand. My only issue is that I can imagine this might be a homophobic environment in which you can't. That's also sad, but I understand.

For example, being a teacher. Which this may be another topic I might bring up.

For many reasons.

1.Your career is a big part of you. Your sexuality is also apart of you. By hiding your sexuality, you're saying it's not apart of your for the job.

2.It clears the air and you know where you stand. I'd rather just be honest, than have people gossip and things such as that.

3.(Especially if you work for many hours, and the longer you work at a place. Have big connections with other people at your job) You should let this fact about yourself be known at your place of business or where you work. Being around people you see continually. You should be open like that.

So that's what I believe.