Jamie Foxx Will Star in Todd McFarlane's Long-Awaited Spawn Reboot

Discussion in 'Movies and Shorts' started by OckyDub, May 29, 2018.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    I'M PISSED!!!!
    :birdman2::nopekid:

[​IMG]

Todd McFarlane has spent years talking about a Spawn reboot that has often felt like it was never going to happen, but now it’s taken a pretty huge step forward. McFarlane has found the man who will don the Hellspawn mask: Jamie Foxx.

Deadline reports that the previously-rumored Foxx will play Spawn in McFarlane’s directorial debut, adapting the iconic character he created at Image Comics in 1992. Deadline describes the movie’s version of Spawn as Al Newman, rather than Al Simmons as he is in the comics. He’s a CIA operative betrayed by his employees and left to die, only to wake up in hell and be offered a chance to return to the mortal world... only to be betrayed again, and have his soul placed inside a Hellspawn warrior, leading a life of vigilantism as the anti-hero Spawn.

It’s not the first time Foxx has been linked to the character—in the run-up to Amazing Spider-Man 2, Foxx told the press he was “actively pursuing” the chance to play the character, as McFarlane’s talk of a new movie continued to skulk around in the shadows for years and years. Here’s the statement Foxx provided to Deadline about his casting:

A few years back I flew out to Arizona to meet the man behind one of the most incredible comic book characters in the universe… Todd McFarlane. He was taken aback when I told him with the enthusiasm of a young child that more than anything I wanted to put my name in the hat to embody his beloved character Spawn…. I told him no one would work harder than me if given the opportunity… well… the opportunity is here!! I’m humbled and ready to transform… and to top things off the young Jason Blum is lending his brilliance to the project! Time to be great!!!! #Spawn.​

Now, five years later, he’s finally getting his wish.

For his part, McFarlane told Deadline, “At the end of the movie, I’m hoping that the audience will say either, is this a ghost that turns into a man, or is it a man that turns into a ghost? I’ve got a trilogy in mind here, and I’m not inclined in this first movie to do an origin story. I’m mentally exhausted from origin stories.”

The Spawn reboot, said to be going for an R rating and a slim budget, does not yet have a release date.

[Deadline]

2. hannibal

Most Comedic Player Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Like for real? They couldnt just get Jai awhite back?

Winston Smith and OckyDub dapped this.
  3. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Jamie Fox means lots of one liners and comedy, smh

4. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    it appears in the story that Foxx has almost no lines and won’t be on screen that much. Sort of like Marlon Brando in first Superman film. Using his star power name with little screen time.

Other red flags:

- 10 million dollar budget in 2018 film dollars (that’s romcom money not superhero/comic flick)

- First-time director; if you have a stage or tv background like Jordan Peele, no problem. Being talented in one area (comic book artist) doesn’t necessarily translate into other media (**cough**Under the Cherry Moon**)

- “Writer-Director” aka “no adult supervision”