Joy Reid apologizes for accusing ‘Miss’ Charlie Crist of being closeted gay man

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by OckyDub, Dec 3, 2017.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

MSNBC pundit and “AM Joy” host Joy Reid issued an apology Sunday for old blog posts she wrote about Florida Gov. Charlie Crist in which she implied that Crist is a closeted gay man.

Mediaite.com reported that Reid wrote the columns between 2007 and 2009 for The Miami Herald and was commenting on persistent rumors that Crist — who governed as a Republican but who has since switched to the Democratic Party — was hiding his allegedly gay orientation.

In a statement to Mediaite, Reid wrote, “At no time have I intentionally sought to demean or harm the LGBT community, which includes people whom I deeply love. My goal, in my ham-handed way, was to call out potential hypocrisy.”

She continued, “Nonetheless, as someone who is not a member of the LGBT community, I regret the way I addressed the complex issue of the closet and speculation on a person’s sexual orientation with a mocking tone and sarcasm. It was insensitive, tone deaf and dumb. There is no excusing it — not based on the taste-skewing mores of talk radio or the then-blogosphere, and not based on my intentions.”

In the disputed blog posts, Reid called Crist “Miss Charlie” and playfully urging the then-Republican governor to come out of the closet, writing, “Miss Charlie, Miss Charlie. Stop pretending, brother. It’s okay that you don’t go for the ladies.”

In 2007, when Crist was putting his weight behind a state anti-same-sex marriage amendment in Florida, Seattle Stranger columnist Dan Savage declared that Crist was “fair game” for people making fun of the rumors about Crist’s alleged sexual relationships with other men.

LGBTQ blog Towleroad compiled an extensive list of rumors about Crist and their sources. Crist has never come out as a gay man. He married in 2008 to Carole Rome, but filed for divorce in February of this year.

#1 OckyDub, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  2. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Regardless if he is a closeted homosexual and she was calling him out on his hypocrisy, why did see emasculate him by referring to him as a female? Why perpetuate a stereotype?

These Black male queer folk will learn sooner or later, that many Black woke liberal women still view them as less than a "real man" or "a waste".

3. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Because gay men casually do it to each other all the time...

:sass2::sass1:

Cyrus-Brooks, mojoreece and ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  4. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Oh no doubt and she felt comfortable and familiar because like she said she got gay friends and family.

Cyrus-Brooks and ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  5. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Last two posts above me are the truth. Of course she learned it from 'the gay community' itself. Hell I don't even think she had to apologize really.

6. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Well I don't think anyone really cares due to the man in question. If this was Tyler Perry or Tom Cruise...

7. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Well I always give the accuser the benefit of the doubt when it comes to a squirming politician who has been anti-gay.

Tyler Perry or Tom Cruise? Let her besmirch Beyonce and see how the gays react. She will be getting death threats and finding blood splattered on her front door.

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  8. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Even though Joy Reid claims she wasn't demeaning the LGBT community she was clearly mocking and questioning Mr. Crist's masculinity by calling him, "Miss Charlie." By extension she was lampooning the masculinity of gay men. She could've made her point about Charlie Crist's hypocrisy without insulting his masculinity. Black women like this will scream and holler about "toxic masculinity" and patriarchy but will verbally bludgeon men by questioning their manhood then wonder why men react badly to being challenged in such a way.

OckyDub dapped this.