Lauryn Hill Fans can Get a Refund

Discussion in 'Music and Podcasts' started by OckyDub, May 10, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    I saw her in concert once and she did the EXACT same thing. From that moment forward, I was no longer a fan and encouraged others to not see her in concert.

Concert Review: Lauryn Hill shows up more than 2 hours late to Atlanta show
    May 9, 2016 | Filed in: concert review.

[​IMG]
    Lauryn Hill will open the Chastain season on Friday. Photo: AP

By JEWEL WICKER/ Jewel.wicker@ajc.com, originally filed Saturday, May 7, 2016

It’s 11 p.m.

Lauryn Hill’s microphone has just been cut nearly 40 minutes into her set because of Chastain Park Amphitheatre’s strict curfew.

The singer continues to perform for a few minutes longer, despite the fact that the crowd’s booing is far more audible than her singing. Finally, she turns to the side of the stage, flashing her hands repetitively as if she is asking for 10 more minutes.

It doesn’t work.

Eventually, she gives up and takes a few pictures with fans as people start to head towards the nearest exit.

This is the end of what was a disastrous start to Chastain Park Amphitheatre’s 2016 Delta Live Nation Concertseries.

It’s no secret, Lauryn Hill has a reputation for being late to shows. But that didn’t make waiting more than two hours and 20 minutes for the singer to take the stage for the concert any more bearable.

At a certain point, not even the singer’s DJ, who was playing popular songs such as Wayne Wonder’s “No Letting Go” and Ludacris’ “Move [Expletive],” could make waiting for that long bearable. There was no opening act.

As people began to boo, the DJ encouraged the crowd to sing along to Prince’s “Purple Rain,” then “I Wanna Be Your Lover.” This worked for a while.

But by the time Lauryn Hill took the stage around 10:20 p.m., commenting on how nice the venue was, the crowd was back to booing. The singer never acknowledged her late arrival. In a video that has surfaced on Twitter, Hill seems to place the blame on her driver.

“My driver got lost, I can’t control that,” she says.

Hill performed for nearly 40 minutes, delivering adequate vocal performances of a few popular songs during the short set, including “Mystery of Iniquity” and “Everything is Everything.” Despite Hill’s late start, the crowd was more than happy to sing along to “Ex-Factor,” and an impressive guitar solo during the song made it the standout.

Her band, which featured a three-piece horn section and three background singers, was amazing. Her two dancers were a good addition.

Blue and fuchsia lights illuminated the stage, while candles sat atop a table in front of the singer as she played guitar for a portion of the show. Even though she was performing in an amphitheater, Hill still managed to make the stage feel intimate.

Nothing about Hill’s time on stage was bad. That’s what makes this so frustrating. This probably would’ve been a good show had fans been privy to the entire set.

But, nothing Hill did was good enough to make her tardiness acceptable, either.

In the end, attendees may forget how cool it was to see Lauryn Hill perform a few of their favorite songs for less than an hour, but they’ll definitely remember how inconsiderate it was of her to make them wait.

2. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Lauryn Hill fans can get refund for Atlanta concert
    By JEWEL WICKER/ Jewel.wicker@ajc.com, originally filed Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Lauryn Hill fans that attended the singer’s disastrous Atlanta show at Chastain Park Amphitheater can receive a full refund.

Hill showed up more than two hours late to a recent show at the venue and was only able to perform for less than 40 minutes due to the amphitheater’s 11 p.m. curfew. She later issued a statement telling fans that she will make it up to them. No further details have been released at this time.

Live Nation’s Director of Marketing, Holly Clausen, said she can’t speak on all venues and musicians, but they’ve never had an artist show up nearly two and a half hours late to a scheduled show before, so they’ve never had to issue refunds in this manner.

“We’re doing this because she only performed for 37 minutes,” she said.

Clausen said it is “not for public knowledge” whether Hill was paid for the show.

Refunds are available at the point of purchase, including the venue’s box office, Ticketmaster and Live Nation, and Groupon.

Fans who purchased their tickets through the amphitheater’s box office will have to return on the date the venue is hosting a show. The next event is Willie Nelson’s May 20 concert.

According to Baltimore’s Fox45, the singer has cancelled an upcoming show in Baltimore that was scheduled for May 12. She is scheduled to perform tonight (May 10) in Richmond.

grownman dapped this.
  3. mojoreece

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I love Lauren and would like to see more from her but she got to get her"energies into alignment. I understand being an Artist and stuff happens but I dont know how any one could be 2hours late for your own show. I mean dont you have to pay for overtime of the hired crew and venue space. Its disrespectful to the fans time because most of the common folk have reg jobs where you cant be 2hours late with out a legitimate excuse; Or else your wont have a job. Its a matter of professionalism no mater the industry you work in.
    I bet Beyonce ant gon be 2 hours late;her show prob run like clock work #getintoformation.:kermit:

4. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Dude I saw her and she was close to 2 hours late and ONLY performed for about 30-40 mins. This was easily over 8 years ago. Most people have the exact same comments about her and her shows. This is how she roles and I will continue to tell people or give warning before giving this lil man their money.

mojoreece, Sean P and ControlledXaos dapped this.
  5. Sean P

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    She was only 30 - 45 minutes late for the show that I went to last year or the year before. Sadly, what she offered on stage wasn't worth the wait. I saw Grace Jones in the 90s and she was over an hour late for the show; she made up for her transgressions, however. I think that Lauryn is done at this point. Somehow, she still believes that she is at the height of popularity… She's in the process of getting a serious reality check.

mojoreece dapped this.
  6. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Its sad that she was never able to continue her success and potential post-The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.

One time or two times under legit circumstances is passable. Otherwise, if you dont see performing as a job and the same rules applies to any other job, stop performing.