Let's talk about the kids

Discussion in 'Career, Work, Finances and Education' started by jpo, Aug 15, 2016.

1. jpo

jpo
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    The interesting discussion going on in the thread about no spouse, no kids, no caregiver raises the point that so many of us don't have kids. True that many of us are now adopting kids, raising families. Many more today than was the case when I was a young man. And for a variety of reasons I have noticed that among African American gay men there are many more older guys who have kids than among white gays. But nonetheless, I would guess that most of us don't.

During the recent UK Tory party contest for a leader to replace Cameron, Theresa May's opponent implied that May's lack of kids made her less qualified to be party leader and Prime Minister. The backlash was strong and her opponent, whose name I don't recall, dropped out. May is now PM.

Once again I thought, we live in a world where people are defined, at least in part, by their status as parents.

So I wonder hoe folks on CA deal with what I have experienced as a common workplace experience - conversations among co-workers that focus on co-workers' kids and their activities, problems, successes? In my case, Mondays were generally full of conversations about sports events, carpools, kids movies. Fridays' conversations were about plans for the same activities.

So, what do we do? Do we change - or attempt to change - the subject? Do we sit there mute? Do we make polite comments?

I am interested in what others do faced with a similar situation.

Spoiler alert, I generally tuned out, much to the annoyance of some of my colleagues.

2. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    We act accordingly and keep showing up! My friend's daughter is 4 now. She's gaining a sense of independence, and I see my friend alrdy dealing because she isn't as needed. Both of her kids (her son is a 2 yr old terrorist, utterly ridiculous) kidnapped me yesterday. I was forced to play w dolls and toy trucks, and to buy something I cant even remember, as an Xmas gift.

My point is, as much as I love those kids, the older I get, the less likely I want to be a dad. Love being an uncle.

It's def relevant for ppl to speak up. Not everyone wants kids, and not everyone can conceive kids. So when ur at the water cooler, speak ur reality, so that ppl are consistently reminded that not everyone runs in the same lane in life.

#2 SB3, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    Caliblk, Dante and Tyroc dapped this.
  3. Tyroc

Tyroc Deactivated Account

Daps Received:
    People always automatically assume I'm a father based on my naturally paternal demeanor and are usually disappointed when they find out I'm not.
    When the subject comes up and it does frequently, I tell them the truth
    none living and if they want me to elaborate, I get real and tell them there've been abortions and miscarriages.
    I find amongst my peers and coworkers of color that it's more of a surprising issue than with whites and asians.
    I don't shy away from conversations about their kids and am an active participant since for me it makes them more relatable and likable.

Dante dapped this.
  4. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    U have to get used to it, as a REAL LIFE, masc dude.

Tyroc dapped this.
  5. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    I definitely think children and childrearing is multifaceted because it can be assessed from a number of different vantage points. First, I think it is generational, thanks to modern medicine, women can have children later in life, a lot of women and men in my peer group, millennial types are foregoing having children until their 30s. I think about this all the time, my mom and dad had me and my brother at 21 and 24 respectively, my mom was just graduating college. When I was 21 I couldn't imagine being responsible for another human being. I look at my peer group, none of my close friends gay and straight have children. Also my peer group is highly educated and mostly married couples without children. It reminds me of the Time Magazine story Having It All Without Having Children. On the flip side though is my brother who at 28 has two kids, not married, never attended college, has a great job, he lives a simpler life to so to speak. Not only is it generational but also there are divides between the classes, socio-economic statuses, educational levels, and religiosity.

Dante dapped this.
  6. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    @jpo You don't have to change the subject at the water cooler, maybe just take it in and offer a word here and there when it fits. I've never had kids myself because I never wanted to be chained to a loud mouthed ghetto shrew through a kid like so many brothers I've known. Plus, unlike a lot of guys, I always remembered growing up that a box of condoms was in the single figures while child support is in the five or six figures lol.

That being said, like a lot of "gay uncles" here on CA, many of us have pretty much raised sibling's kids or tutored or mentored. You'd be surprised the insight you might be able to contribute from the unique perspective of being "on the outside"; for example, having tutored math, I've given a lot of coworkers insight on helping their own kids with homework, etc. or study habits.

Tyroc dapped this.
  7. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Co workers with a kid or kids generally volunteer conversations about their personal life. When the conversation involves their relationship and/or kids, I'm more into being receptive and "watching tv" mode than anything, unless they are talking about their siblings and nieces and nephews (which I will verbally engage talking about my siblings and 21 nieces and nephews and several great nieces and nephews, too).

I used to feel some kind of way in the workplace when it came to my personal life and other co workers, especially when Mother's Day and Father's Day and when someone would ask "Do you have kids?". But I am now over it, bc work is about me doing my job and I make it so that it stays right there.

8. NickAuzenneNOLA

The Great Debater The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I do not have children as of yet but I definitely plan to both biologically produce and adopt as I believe I'd be a pretty great father and I want to leave a living legacy. For me children have always been in the cards but I understand that most LGBT people of color sort of resigned to it never being possible for them and instead of mourning that adopted the "kids are unnecessary I'm gay" attitude. Now that it is an option we see more and more adoring and I think that's beautiful.

acessential and Dante dapped this.