Man Booker Prize winner Marlon James reveals he was given exorcism by Jamaica's 'ex-gay' movement

Discussion in 'LGBT News and Events' started by cuspofbeauty, May 30, 2016.

1. cuspofbeauty

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Man Booker Prize winner Marlon James reveals he was given exorcism by Jamaica's 'ex-gay' movement
    'It is a really primitive and backward way of curing people,' says James
    [​IMG]
    James left Jamaica at the age of 37 because of cultural taboos surrounding homosexuality, being gay remains a criminal offence there, and to further his career in writing

Marlon James, the Jamaican novelist and winner of the Man Booker Prize, has said he undertook exorcism carried out by the “ex-gay” movement in Jamaica.

James, 45, became the first Jamaican to win the Man Booker award last year. His novel, titled A Brief History of Seven Killings, is a violent 686-page thriller written partially in patois about the assassination attempt on Bob Marley.

Speaking at the recent Hay Festival, the author has revealed that he struggled with his sexuality in his mid-thirties and was pushed into having exorcism which was presented as a type of therapy by the 'anti-gay' movement.

The ex-gay movement attempts to stop people from pursuing same-sex relationships and to eliminate homosexual desires and thus pushes them to enter into heterosexual relationships instead.

James recalled being in a room with two preachers and having an exorcism via “a mixture of prayer and support and shaming and vomiting” according to reports in The Times.

Initially, James said the exorcism made him feel cured. “I thought ‘Great, I am getting rid of demons’, until I read up on the whole ex-gay thing,” he said.

[​IMG]
    Marlon James: 'I don’t believe in PG violence’

“It is dangerously misleading and I think has been discredited. It is a really primitive and backward way of curing people.”

In the end, James chose to “get rid of the church part, not God, and that worked wonderfully”.

James left Jamaica at the age of 37 because of cultural taboos surrounding homosexuality - being gay remains a criminal offence there - and to further his career in writing. “Being a gay Jamaican… nothing happened to me but it could have,” he explained in an interview with The Independent in October of last year.

Cyrus-Brooks, Winston Smith and DreG dapped this.
  2. DreG

DreG is a Featured MemberDreG Art Heaux
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    SMH You got these folks trying to pray it away,and Umar Johnson trying to diagnose and reverse it.It's like I always say people will use whatever they have to in order to justify their ignorance.Delusions are real out here.

Cyrus-Brooks, Jai, ColumbusGuy and 2 others dapped this.
  3. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Umar Johnson lol. These hotep negroes kill me with their twisted views of African and black history. Basically I see people like him as chocolated coated Tea Party types; they don't really mind all the homophobia and bigotry of the Trump set, just so long as it's covered in blackface with an Afro.

Just put Jame's book on hold at my library, look forward to adding to my southern reading, right after I finish this biography of Richmond Barthe.

Cyrus-Brooks, cuspofbeauty and DreG dapped this.
  4. DreG

DreG is a Featured MemberDreG Art Heaux
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    As much as I hate to,I agree.I try not to make those kind of generalizations because I hate it when people feel like all Christians are small-minded blind idiots,or all gays or obnoxious queens,but a lot of these Black Pride posers do like to think that homosexuality is a learned behavior from Empire,but won't speak out misogony (as long as you're smashing a lot of women),homophobia,and black superiority.It gets tiresome listening to their preaching about enlightening others,because they often don't realize they've gotten so pretensious and proud they've become unbearable.

5. Jai

Jai Being strong minded.
    The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Asexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Their so pretentious, how they wear their egos on thei sleeves until they see your face.

Winston Smith dapped this.