Most Underrated Rappers (In my opinion)

Discussion in 'Music and Podcasts' started by BlackOnyx1, Sep 11, 2015.

1. BlackOnyx1

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    When i first found out about this group H.W.A. (Hoes with Attitude) I was highly interested in them. They formed in the late 80's and lasted to the early/mid 90's (1994 to be exact) they were signed to Ruthless Records and worked with and were mentored by the late Eazy-E, they are from Chicago my hometown and I am friends with the two members (see pictures below the videos) (left to right, Jazz and Babygirl) I asked Jazz if her or babygirl talk to Go-Di (the one on the right) and she said no. Anyway, they released their debut in '90 Livin' In A Hoe House which sold 400,000 copies, followed by two EPs As Much Ass Azz U Want in '94 and I Ain't No Lady in '94. They were set to release a sophmore album in 95 but sadly Eazy-E passed away. I believe that had Eazy not passed away, they would have been big in the late 90's to the early 2000's. I feel that they are one of many most underrated rappers. from their style, image, videos, and lyrics they provoke thoughts and conversation and were very controversial.

hwa.jpg
    an quote from milkcartonpopstars blog: "These three lovely hoez burst onto the rap scene in 1990 with their independent album, "Livin' In A Hoe House" on Drive By Records. Originally from Chicago, they moved to LA to pursue a music career. The members were: Kim "Baby Girl" Kenner, Tanya "Jazzy" Kenner, and Dion "Diva" Devoux but like any good girl group there were some lineup changes later on. For the second album "Diva" was replaced by "Go-di", and when one of the girls got pregnant "Baby Girl's" cousin, Ty James took her place. Coincidentally, Ty was the daughter of the legendary Rick James!

The group's name was a take on NWA (Niggaz With Attitude) and much like fellow female rapper Choice, the hoez used explicit rhymes to combat all of the misogynist rap songs by men at the time. The hoez wanted it to be known that they were sexual predators and would not stand for men's shit!

Their debut album was nothing spectacular production wise, but lyrically HWA left a mark on the listener's brain. No topic was taboo, whether it be the struggles with a not so well endowed boyfriend ("Little Dick"), phone sex hotlines ("1-900-Bitches"), good pussy ("Tight"), cunninglus ("Eat This"), or the days in the life of a nymphomaniac ("Freaky Daze"). The album's first single and probably the least explicit song from the album, "Funk Me", received respectable radio airplay and video rotation on the Box.

In 1994 HWA returned with an EP titled, "Az Much Ass Azz U Want". The only single was "Just A Little Action". The hoez outdid themselves with the music video. Apparently the video was so raunchy that not even The Box would air it. Considering The Box generally aired all of the videos the other music stations wouldn't, one can only imagine how truly explicit this video must have been! I wonder if the album cover was any indication.........

Now under the supervision of rap legend Eazy-E on his Ruthless Records label, the hoez's second release boasted better production, lyrics and a nicer album cover! This EP has most definitely aged well like many of the other "West Coast" rap releases from the era. Lyrically, no new territory was explored, but the EP's purpose was to prepare the public for the upcoming full length album "Hoez In Training". Unfortunately with Eazy-E's untimely death the following year that album never happened and HWA split"
    de4a8d7b.jpg

#1 BlackOnyx1, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  2. DreG

DreG is a Featured MemberDreG Art Heaux
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Interesting.Never heard of them before.

My vote goes to Masta Ace.I was so thrilled when one of his songs was featured in the last season of Power.

BlackOnyx1 dapped this.
  3. BlackOnyx1

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    dope i'll definitely have to check him out, thanks for checking out my post

4. DreG

DreG is a Featured MemberDreG Art Heaux
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    No probs dude:salute: