Non-Heteronormative Black Gay Fiction

Discussion in 'Books, Comics and Graphic Novels' started by acessential, Jan 6, 2017.

1. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    So I'm halfway through the first black gay novel I've read in a very long time and it's pretty heteronormative so far. I don't want to read another, "I was a skinny, average looking, slightly fem guy with a big butt who loved to cook and clean for my man. He was a 6'3" muscled Adonis who loved sports, bossed me around, fixed cars, and dicked me down." What is this, Noah's Arc? Any suggestions for fiction novels that don't follow the same trope? "Romance" novels are okay, but bonus points for novels where "finding love" isn't necessarily the central theme.

Jdudre, ControlledXaos and BrentForays dapped this.
  2. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    LMAO...
    Wait...wait...

This (the novel) was written by a gay dude so is this still considered heteronormative or homonormative?

@ControlledXaos @Rico @BrentForays @African King

3. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I'm thinking it's homonormative by my understanding of the term. It takes me a while to figure out how to work new vocabulary words into a sentence.

Lol at skinny fem big booty chefs

OckyDub dapped this.
  4. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    We need a Bechdel test for black gay men.

Criteria 1 should be the story can't be based around finding love or "happily ever after."

5. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Well, the only non-heteronormative black gay fiction that I've read all fell under the erotic fiction category. They were usually about a gay guy who was supposedly straight until he started noticing guys for the first time. So I guess from the "Top Whore" perspective.

There was also a mystery/thriller novel that I reviewed for the site years ago called The Messiah.

CYPHER AVENUE ESSENTIALS: The Messiah – A Novel by Lee Hayes

Synopsis: Struggling to revive his stalling career, investigative reporter Dante Graves works to break the case of the Messiah serial killer, teaming up with the murderer’s only known survivor, and discovers clues leading to his own lover, a respected doctor.

[​IMG]

6. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
  7. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I try not to read based on genre, either a book is good or it's not. But if you must have a "gay" book
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

acessential dapped this.
  8. acessential

Daps Received:
    I thought the term "homonormative" was already coined. I thought it meant same-sex relationships that are more palatable to heterosexual society. (Mostly white, male, middle and upper middle class, monogamous, clean cut a la Neil Patrik Harris and David Burtka).

But I guess the argument could be made that gay couples who fit clearly defined gender roles are more likely to be accepted by straight folks and are thus "homonormative."

Winston Smith and OckyDub dapped this.
  9. acessential

Daps Received:
    I swear I've been sitting on Giovanni's Room for a while. I need to actually sit down and read it.

10. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Yep. This is my year to right all unread wrongs.

acessential dapped this.
  11. eli94

eli94 Squad Member

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    One of these book reviews is actually how I found CA lol! Cant remember the book but I think it had a map on the cover...

As for your question OP, I havent really read many black gay books or even lgbt books in general sadly. Recently ive tried to change that tho. I read "Blackbird" by Larry Duplechan - the 1 that was made into a movie. It was ok.

This might be cheating ... But Im gonna recommend "Fire Shut Up in My Bones" by Charles Blow. It's a memoir by a bisexual NYT writer. Not really based on his sexuality and not fiction, but suuuuch a good book.

Also, how yall feel about E Lynn Harris? Lol. I read his book "And This Too Shall Pass" recently. I thought it was funny - the way he kept reiterating that the men were masculine was hilarious to me. A typical line (Im paraphrasing): "His virile scent was intoxicating to Sean, and he found himself aroused." I was like, really?

Eta - ive read some other good "gay" books (ie books where the main char was gay.) but most didnt have any black ppl in them although some did have other poc. let me know if u want those.

#11 eli94, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017