Occidental College professor argues that men must renounce their masculinity

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by OckyDub, Nov 15, 2017.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    ""Lisa Wade rejects the notion of "toxic masculinity," saying it is time to recognize that "it is masculinity itself that has become the problem.""

[​IMG]

A feminist professor at Occidental College recently argued that men must renounce their masculinity and “denounce anyone who chooses to identify with it.”

Lisa Wade, a sociology professor at Occidental, published an essay for Public Books calling for people to “attack masculinity directly” to help the nation survive in the wake of President Trump, who she says perpetuates a “vile enactment of masculinity.”

“If we’re going to survive both President Trump and the kind of people he has emboldened, we need to attack masculinity directly,” she said, clarifying that she doesn’t want to see a “kinder, gentler version of it,” but that she wants it done away with completely.

Calling masculinity a “dangerous idea,” Wade argues that the Trump presidency was caused not merely by toxic forms of masculinity, but by the fact that masculinity itself is toxic.

“We are here in Trump’s America in part because we have been too delicate in our treatment of dangerous ideas. The problem is not toxic masculinity; it’s that masculinity is toxic,” she writes, adding that masculinity is “simply not compatible with liberty and justice for all.”

“We can only give masculinity so many modifiers for so long before we have to confront the possibility that it is masculinity itself that has become the problem,” she says.

Wade concludes her essay by urging people to “call masculinity out as a hazardous ideology and denounce anyone who chooses to identify with it,” saying that doing so is crucial for “gender revolution.”

Wade is best known for her book American Hookup (2017), a feminist look into the sexual culture on college campuses, which has been praised by numerous media outlets including The New York Timesand The Huffington Post.

More recently, Wade called for fraternities to be abolished because they “hoard power” for “wealthy white men,” and noted that she doesn’t “think it is a good idea to be encouraging young males to identify specifically as men.”

Campus Reform reached out to Wade for comment, but did not receive a response in time for publication.

Prof declares that 'masculinity itself' is 'the problem'

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  2. jusrawb

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    A world without masculinity whaatttttt? :scust:

3. jpo

jpo
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    I've read this twice - wish that I had not wasted my time. Wade deals in a concept with content. What is masculinity? She does not say. How are men (if we are allowed to use that term) supposed to think of themselves? As human? Is that the end of the discussion? The problem is that despite Wade's belief that the concept of masculinity can be eliminated as a category, the reality is that men will continue to exist. In some, if not many, cases a human will continue to act as a man, if indeed he is biologically a man. In those cases, how then do we categorize those acts?
    Of course, my problem with this disappears if in fact I am wrong and that there are not biologically determined differences between a human human and a human human. This nomenclature starts to get confusing.

4. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    She is crazy as a shithouse rat.

5. jpo

jpo
    The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    I need to remember that succinct is better!

6. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I guess the only thing good about this is a feminist has finally fessed up to what feminism is really about, destroying men and masculinity. The truly scary thing is woman is a college professor. So she gets to poison the thinking of young adults with her brand of "equality." I think this school should be called out for promoting a hostile environment for male students.

Pacifistgod, mojoreece, jusrawb and 3 others dapped this.
  7. Apollo

Apollo Enemy of the Status Quo

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    One Question, If we reject masculinity, shouldn't we also reject feminism? Shouldn't we also be calling out feminism as a hazardous ideology and denounce anyone who chooses to identify as a feminist?

Okay two questions, I wonder if toxic-feminism is part of the reason straight dudes don't want to get married anymore?

mojoreece, ColumbusGuy, OckyDub and 2 others dapped this.
  8. machoBLKnerd

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    the idea that masculinity is the problem and must be renounced seems to borrow from a similar idea on race. some scholars believe that whiteness (not to be confused w white ppl) is irredeemable, was constructed solely for accumulating resources through domination and, thus, must be renounced by white ppl as a remedy to white supremacy. but it does beg the question: if whiteness ends, then what? or what will white ppl be after whiteness? i have similar "then what?" questions about the suggestion to renounce masculinity.

that said, i also want to respond to what seems like a false equivalence in your comments between masculinity and feminism. power changes everything. when blk ppl say, whiteness must be renounced, it aims toward racial justice (whether i agree with the demand or not). if white ppl say, blkness must be renounced, then it sounds like assimilation or, worse, genocide b/c of a long history and the collective power whites have throughout the world. similarly, if feminists call for the denouncement of masculinity, it would be a very different ask than if men were to make the same request of feminism. it matters that women have not subjugated men for political, economic or sexual reasons. it matters a lot actually. so it's simply not an equal comparison. i have many critiques of feminism, but there's no denying that it has expanded gender norms for women in ways that masculinity norms have not been expanded. and while feminism can be annoying to us, it certainly has not been lethal or toxic to men, or women, so i'm not sure the second question is even a fair inquiry.

to be clear, i'm not suggesting we should be renouncing masculinity at all. i'm pretty invested in my maniless. i do, however, think men would feel less threatened by feminism if we initiated more conversations with each other and with women about how gender impacts our lives and the lives of others around us. i think it would change a lot of debates and defensive responses into meaningful discourse.

#8 machoBLKnerd, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  9. Sean

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    These thought pieces on changing centuries of social behavior are cute.