Only Child

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by cypher21, Apr 19, 2016.

1. cypher21

cypher21 Deactivated Account
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Is anyone here an only child? I noticed from a previous thread that alot of people have siblings, nieces, nephews...If so did you enjoy being one growing up and now? Are you a waling stereotype of a spoiled, selfish, or shy person?

I have to admit growing up I always wanted an older brother, or any siblings for that matter. It got lonely sometimes. Personality wise I do believe it sharing, but I also think people such have their own things and space, I enjoy alots of space.

Anyway was just wondering, let me know.

Tyroc dapped this.
  2. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I was an only child until I turned 16yo, so yeah, I basically grew up an only child. I kinda wanted to have a sibling growing up, but not really. I had enough friends as a kid. As I got older (into my preteens) I started fallin' into depression and then could've used a sibling. My cousins were rarely around because their dad was always stationed in Germany and when they were stateside they always lived far away. I completely missed out on my little bro's growing up years because I went into the military when he was like 2yo, so it's pretty much like I never had any siblings at all. We're kool with each other, but we're not close. No animosity/ rivalry or anything, we're just not close. We're both kinda like "the only child".

Discordant and Tyroc dapped this.
  3. cypher21

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Yeah I get what you felt...I sorta went through the same thing when I was a teen, cousins weren't around as much started drifting away, didn't have alot of younger family or friends to fall back on.

Discordant dapped this.
  4. Tyroc

Tyroc Deactivated Account

Daps Received:
    I was lonely when I was a kid and begged and pleaded and wished on stars for a sibling because everybody around me had one or multiples.
    When I finally got my wish, I had to become fully responsible for her and I couldn't imagine what my life would have been without her.
    When I was the only child, I was extremely shy and still am to an extent but having to be the older brother and caretaker I had to learn to overcome that impediment.
    Every time when she got in trouble over the years, my Mother would always say to me in private.
    "Don't you wish you could take that wish back!"
    But I didn't and wouldn't.

DreG, cypher21, alton and 2 others dapped this.
  5. cypher21

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    That's sooo sweet....:mjcry1:

I guess part of the reason I would like to have child would be to have someone to take care of like that and bond with since I'll never know what it's like...I know it's not the same experience obviously but having some close blood family in your life helps I'm sure.

6. Tyroc

Daps Received:
    In my life there have been abortions and a miscarriage. I'm not one to dwell on the what if's but I do sometimes wonder what my own children could have turned out like.
    Then the reality of remembering who the mothers could have been and I come falling out of that dream.
    if you do decide to become a father, think about all of the options available, start saving and developing lots of patience.

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  7. cypher21

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Not to boast, but I've always been told I am a very patient person, and do not misunderstand me, I understand fully the responsibilities and sacrifices that come with parenthood. That's just one of many the initial reasons why I developed a desire to raise children but it doesn't matter now.

8. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    You can always adopt at some point, right? If you feel like you would be a good parent and have a desire to raise a child, why not? There are many kids out there who could use a real parent. I myself could not keep goldfish alive, but if you would make a good parent, why not be a parent if you want to?

Tyroc dapped this.
  9. Tyroc

Daps Received:
    Nothing wrong with stating your strengths!
    Keep in mind that I make a pretty good Godfather.

10. cypher21

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Would rather keep this about only children and not having children so I'll just leave it at that

11. Tyroc

Daps Received:
    My apologies.
    200_s.gif

12. Artistic Arsonist

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I'm an only child in a way. I have a half brother, but he's always lived in a different state, so I would only see him during occasional visits. So I was pretty much raised as an only child. Am I shy? Yeah, a little, but not as much as I was. Am I selfish? I don't think so. Am I spoiled?...Maybe.

13. HarlemDon

HarlemDon Lurker

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    Dating:
    Single
    I am an only child. The question has always been asked "Do you like being an only child?". The truth is I don't know any other way. I had a stepbrother for a brief period, who was also an only child also and we constantly clashed and I was not feelin' siblings after that. Maybe if I had a chill older sib to show me the ropes would have been cool though.

Spoiled? I can say that I received a few more material things than some others in my neighborhood but it was never taken for granted or abused it.

At one point, I expected my friends to give to me like all of my family did my whole life. I had to teach myself to share with my friends until I felt like I gave too much. Not too long, I found the balance and it made my life richer.

My friends that came from big families, I was always secretly jealous cause they seemed to have had mad fun because their sibs were also their friends.

cypher21 dapped this.