Pete Rock Wants Mumble Rappers to Make Better Music

Discussion in 'Music and Podcasts' started by OckyDub, Sep 8, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]
    Older (some might argue, washed) rappers have always talked down on younger generations. But when Pete Rock speaks, it’s in an up-and-coming artist’s best interest to, at the very least, listen.

The NYC hip-hop legend recently took to Instagram to voice his disapproval for mumble rappers, calling them out for not truly respecting or understanding the culture. At a certain point in his rant, Rock says, “i can clearly see yall dont care about the culture so why you in it? Yall not gonna last doing dat!”

The “They Reminisce Over You” producer didn’t name any names, but it’s pretty clear who he’s talking about: most notably, two names from the 2016 XXL freshman list, Lil Yachty and Lil Uzi Vert. Lil Boat and Lil Uzi don’t mumble on every single song; they definitely have some solid verses here and there, but many times they just say some hype words over a hot beat. The other day, Rock called out Yachty by name after going after Young Dolph.

Pete Rock also referenced upcoming music in his repertoire that he’s getting ready to unleash. The 46-year-old musician is linking up with fellow New Yorker Smoke DZA for a new album called Don’t Smoke Rock.

Rock also recently reunited with his former rhyming partner C.L. Smooth. The two haven’t put out an album since 1994’s The Main Ingredient, after which they split to pursue solo careers. Before that they released the critically acclaimed projects All Souled EP out in 1991 and Mecca and the Soul Brother in 1992. The last tease we got of a reunion came in 2007 when they worked together on the song “Love Is a Battlefield” for Smooth’s album The Outsider.

"Mafuggas still talkin shit and im like...................... huuuh boy lol! Why cant we all just respect some shit? I mighta been wrong the way i went about it but im a lil tired of people taking this culture for a joke. Feeling like Kaepernick right now real talk mayne. Im obviously passionate about good music and good lyrics. Cant understand the mumble rap shit da hell is that? Lol cmon man i can make yall sound real good i can clearly see yall dont care about the culture so why you in it? Yall not gonna last doing dat! The hate dont bother me cuz they are just dedicated fans,its quite funny how random mafuggas outta nowhere just gettin @ me hahahaha when you know your power the feeling of confidence really sets in. Im trending on twitter over this silly shit hahaha Wow! Ok i'll take it cuz im bout to drop some shit anyway so all this is right on time lol. DSR=Dont Smoke Rock with Smoke Dza is the truth! if my words carry weight then heed this shit right here,respect some shit mayne! Make better music and write better lyrics. Cops gonna target us regardless but stop giving them a reason or should i say dont make it easier for them,yall gotta start caring about whats going on around yall. Prove people wrong cuz we are always judged and looked @ a certain way. The ignorant artist shit really makes me upset the hateful comments only make me more relevant lol . If im washed up then why my name in ya mouth? Im just sayin lol. Have a great day everyone. "

Pete Rock Wants Mumble Rappers to Make Better Music - XXL

2. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I agree with Pete (and other back-in-the-day rappers)for the most part but one thing they need to understand is it's unjustifiable to say these new rappers "wont last" doin' what they do. Rappers gain longevity via their fans. Just like we supported the Pete Rocks, and LLs, and Lytes, etc back in our youth, these dude nowadays go hard for these new dudes. Their style may not have lasted in our time, but a lot of our fav rappers probably wouldn't make it in today's Hip Hop game. It's all about the environment at the time. Years from now when our (Gen X) rappers are dead and gone, today's rapper gonna be sayin the SAME SHIT about the new rappers that'll be out. LOL

OckyDub dapped this.
  3. OhSheit

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I just can't fuck with it. I want it to be over.