Procrastination

Discussion in 'Career, Work, Finances and Education' started by cypher21, Nov 9, 2015.

1. cypher21

cypher21 Deactivated Account
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    When you know you should be doing something else but ya just don't want to do it...(kinda like what I'm doing now!) How do you handle procrastination at work, school, home or whatever! I'm asking y'all to share because I have nothing to add to this conversation, but everything to gain from it! Lol

2. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    This is bold and blunt but it is something that we all need to hear in order to grow...

3. Infinite_loop

Infinite_loop Is this thing on?
    Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    Procrastination sucks, honestly. I used to be a chronic procrastinator. I have dealt with this problem since college and had to develop a strategy to survive and not let my grades into freefall.

Step 1: Identify why you procrastinate

I found out I most procrastinate when it is a task that is mental taxing(a large and ambitious personal project, a difficult conversation and/or negotiation, budgeting :nerd:) . I tend to overthink and stay in analysis paralysis forever.

Step 2: Develop a SIMPLE solution
    Don't overthink it, otherwise it is back to square one. For instance if it's budgeting just opening your bank statements read through them for 10 minutes. That's all you need. You'll gain more insight and be motivated to do it. YOU just have to start somewhere.

Step 3: Use the power of your environment
    I know myself. If I drive home after work to "chill for a little bit" before going to the gym, I know that will never happen lol. So, I always go to the gym before going home. Even studying, I go to a Starbucks, library, meeting with my team all before getting home. When I go home I am in full chill mode.

Re-arrange your environment to fit your need:
    if you want to stay motivated, get a gym buddy
    if you want to sleep earlier, don't take your laptop in the bedroom
    if you want to lose weight, don't put sugar drinks and bakery in your fridge. Instead put water and fruit.

So, in all it is about knowing yourself and what works for you and unfortunately(or fortunately), it is only by trial and error that you will do.

TheEdge, cypher21 and Kouncelor dapped this.
  4. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I try to treat tasks as something I WANT to do as opposed to something I HAVE to do. If I feel like I have to do something, I'll drag my feet. But if I treat it as something I want to do, I'll be more likely to complete it. Even with mundane things like school work. I think of it as an opportunity to learn something new, to sharpen my intellectual skills, or to be the person in class everyone likes to ask for help. All things I actually want to do. I have to force myself to think differently.

cypher21 and Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  5. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
  6. Jdudre

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I have ADHD so procrastionation is like my wing man in life. Whenever am doing something epically, if I don't like it or don't want to do i find my self an the Internet or just doodling. To fight that I usually "look" for the sign that my I am being to wander and I take break from what am doing and I move around for a bit and then I get back to it.

cypher21 dapped this.
  7. cypher21

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    That boy needs help lol...:snoop:

8. OhSheit

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I'm taking the time out to tell you that I should be studying for this test I have tomorrow but fuck that. I'm finishing up listening to this Grimes album, then I'ma jerk off and take a shower later and depending how I feel after this shower maybe I'll hit the books. Wish me luck. :)

9. TheEdge

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    @Infinite_loop Pretty much nailed it on solutions. You have to get rid of the things that make you procrastinate. Like i turn off myself and leave it in another room when i am studying. Thats way i am not tempted to pick it up and check Facebook.

cypher21 dapped this.
  10. cypher21

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Haha sounds like me lol Stay focused l!! Good luck!