Regardless, I’m Still An R. Kelly Fan

Discussion in 'Music and Podcasts' started by OckyDub, Dec 2, 2015.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]One day as a freshman in high school, my friend Toby and I were in social studies class. The teacher had us pair up to work on an assignment. We finished the assignment and was chatt’in it up with the girls next to us, Erica and Monica. As the conversation progressed Monica asked Erica about her date that past weekend with her “man friend.” Erica begins to brag about their date; the movie, dinner and the sex afterward in his car. She also bragged about how he gives her money and so one. As she mentioned his named Toby and I looked at each other somewhat confused because we never heard of the guy. Toby asked “what grade is he in, does he go here?” Both Erica and Monica laughed; Erica replied “no nigga, he grown.”

As I maneuvered through high school, I found out even though Erica was not the norm, here situation wasn’t unique. Many teenage girls dated or had sex with older guys from the neighboring college or the surrounding military bases. Some even became pregnant. In my junior and senior year I noticed many of my male friends actively pursued older females from the same neighboring college. Not to mention that one female cougar teacher who was known for her after school activities or those two cheerleaders who had “interactions” with some members of the football coaching staff.

Just as I heard my boys talk about how they would love to fuck Adina Howard, I heard girls talk the same about R. Kelly and the Public Announcement. This all took place in the early 90’s. In 2015 why are we still shocked that teenagers do at times have consensual sex with legal adults (over the age of 18)?

Many teenagers don’t have the full mental capacity to understand the gravity of their actions. This doesn’t mean in every case and scenario they’re helpless victims or non-willing participants.

I just want to point out the below list of states in the US where the age of consent is sixteen. Yep…six-fucking-teen years of age.

Alabama
    Arkansas
    Delaware
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Mississippi
    Montana
    Nevada
    New Hampshire
    New Jersey
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina
    South Dakota
    Vermont
    Washington
    Washington DC
    West Virginia

If you can get a driver’s license in these states, you can have sex with someone over the age of 18. I similarly want to mention that in all the provinces of Canada the age of consent is also 16. I’m bringing this all up because R. Kelly was celebrated at the 2015 BET Awards for his undeniable contribution to music and the internet along with social media lost their minds. This was because of the past statutory rape allegations, settlements and infamous piss tape featuring the pied piper of R&B.

Let’s be real, do I think Kells used his fame and money to get in the panties of some of these teenage girls…yes. From that perspective, he broke the law but again this was not forcible rape. I’m not saying I don’t have some problems with his actions but to call him a pedophile (as if he is molesting 5 yr olds) or a sexual predator (as if he is stalking women and raping them at knife point)…sorry, I just can’t go down that lane. Now I will say this, if R. Kelly would have sexed up some 15 yr old white girls or some 15 yrs old boys, dude would have been put on a rocket and shot out into the deepest parts of space.

Personal I think R. Kelly has a sexual fascination with underage girls that he acted on; which in our society is problematic. How does one weigh that against the great music he has created over the decades? What about all the other current artists who continue to work directly with R. Kelly that you may be a fan of?

Speaking of music legends; how do the people who’re outraged at the lack of banishment for R. Kelly and his continued success reconcile their logic as it pertains to Elvis Presley (Priscilla was 14), Marvin Gaye (got a 16 yr old pregnant), Rick James (abused women), James Brown (beat his wife), or Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page (had a 14 yr old girlfriend) and the countless other male artists who have either been with underage girls or abused women?

Also where does the line get drawn? What about attempted murder, assault, drug use, child abuse, etc? There are literally numerous mainstream celebrities in present day music and film who have committed crimes (some violent), yet no blogs posts or mainstream media articles expressing outrage.

How do we as a global society, un-hear musical greatness from these tarnished artists and erase their influence upon the world?

Read the whole post here.

2. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    In the span of a 24 hours Cypher Avenue defends pedophiles and argues that having sex with HIV+ men is safer than having sex with HIV- men.

#2 Nick Delmacy, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    Tyroc dapped this.
  3. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    I just wish sometimes folks actually think and examine a topic instead of speaking in social media sound bites.

#3 OckyDub, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  4. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    While it may have won the logic battle, this post ended up being all like:

#4 Nick Delmacy, Dec 3, 2015
  5. Sean

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    How do we as a global society, un-hear musical greatness from these tarnished artists and erase their influence upon the world? We can't! Just like no one can change the fact that Lance Armstrong won all those Tour de Frances, and all the other famous people who achieved great successes and may have contributed to society, we can't change the perceived greatness of R. Kelly's contributions to music. But we can choose not to revel in celebrating a disgraced individual, like BET and this article did. I can be a fan of someone's great contributions without being a fan of them, especially if their questionable private actions became public. And I can appreciate someones legitimate contributions to society, regardless of that person's character. It's quite simple. Give them credit when it is appropriately due, but don't throw a party. I am actually a bit disappointed that this was article was posted. I think it unintentionally tiptoes around misogyny. We can all acknowledge that men and women sleep with teenagers who may or may not be of the age of consent. Regardless of how you slice it, consenting or not, there is an inherent problem with someone who has an affinity toward individuals who have less mental and emotional capacity to not only make sound decisions about sex, but any other adult matter as well. There's no question that power structure created in these types of relationships highly favors the adult, meaning that even with the best intentions, this is still predatory behavior on the part of the adult. A no, it's not physically forcible rape, but psychologically, it very much so is.

#5 Sean, Dec 3, 2015
    Tyroc dapped this.
  6. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Nick DelmacyWhile it may have won the logic battle, this post ended up being all like:
    SeanI am actually a bit disappointed that this was article was posted. I think it unintentionally tiptoes around misogyny.​
    Personally I don't mind examining and talking about a topic that makes folks disappointed or uncomfortable. That has been my blogging history...not about to change or shy away from it. I've gotten more backlash from far less. As far misogyny, can we at least attempt to not tiptoe around the fact that females also like sex an objectify men and other women?...which on many levels is natural sexual human behavior. I know it may not be PC but plenty of teenage girls like f**king boys their own age and older men. This is the apart of the world society we leave in. The US is unusual in that thinking 18 is a magical number that somehow equates to sexual maturity or sexual adulthood. Simply focusing on the "dirty old man R Kelly" is not completely thinking about the issue. This to me is not properly laying responsibility to all parties.

#6 OckyDub, Dec 3, 2015