Roy Moore Visits Black Church

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by OckyDub, Dec 5, 2017.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]
    Alabama’s Republican candidate for U.S. Senate Roy Moore, who was a leading voice in the anti-Obama birther movement, made a campaign stop on Sunday at a predominantly Black church in Birmingham, where he worshipped with the congregation for the entire service, WBRC-TV reported.

Bishop Jim Lowe, of Guiding Light Church, thanked Moore for accepting his invitation and applauded the former judge for his conservative values, including his 2003 fighting to keep a Ten Commandments monument posted at a state building. “The law said he should remove them. He said, ‘no, this is the word of God.’ He wouldn’t support same-sex marriage. The law says support it. He said, ‘but the law of God is supreme.’ He’s on a cross. He’s being crucified now,” Lowe said.

2. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Good Black Christian Folk...
    :ravetho:

3. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    This is a perfect example of why I despise Christianity and why I criticize black Christians. They'll knowingly get in bed with a white "conservative" who claims to be Christian and that not to long ago would've lynched them or turned a police dogs on them. This same conservative is still actively working to keep blacks as permanent under-class but since they're a Christian who believes in god, Jesus, the 10 commandments, and hates gays. That makes their anti-blackness ok.

alton, jusrawb, I-Stay-Woke and 3 others dapped this.
  4. NikR

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    Except these people actually *aren't* Christians. Occasionally sitting in a pew, acknowledging 3 of the 10 commandments and applauding a serial child-molester/constitutionally-illiterate judge doesn't make one a Christian- it makes one a Christianist. There's a difference.

Regardless, these people disgust me.

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  5. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    How so and according to who? What is an example or benchmark for a good Christian? When haven't Christians conducted themselves in questionable manners?

alton dapped this.
  6. NikR

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    Keep reading what I wrote.

Andrew Sullivan expanded on this when he said, "I have a new term for those on the fringes of the religious right who have used the Gospels to perpetuate their own aspirations for power, control and oppression: Christianists. They are as anathema to true Christians as the Islamists are to true Islam."

Um, opposite to what I've written...? Consider, for example, a social worker that I met at a homeless shelter while I was interviewing for faculty jobs. Selfless. Helping needy people. Actually upset and seeking changes to the current world in an equitable way. And since I went to church this past weekend, take, for example, the methodist minister at a gay-affirming Methodist congregation in DC. I would give you directions, but Hillary attended once. And her cloven hooves still haunt the halls.

Well, I would mention the social worker from above again, but it turns out that he's actually, you know, Satan.

So you're right! Hail Beelzebub!

7. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    :sabu:

8. NikR

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    that-big-toothy-smile_760.gif

Boaxy dapped this.
  9. Cyrus-Brooks

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship

Sounds like the No True Scotsman fallacy to me. Every religious group claims they're following true religion and everyone else are apostates and heretics. They are Christians because they fly the banner of Christianity.
    hqdefault (3).jpg
    notruescotsman.jpg
    serveimage-380x214.jpg
    images.jpeg
    1lOdVRJ.jpg

jusrawb and OckyDub dapped this.
  10. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    PERIOD

:mynicca:

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  11. NikR

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single

Just because someone claims an identity or characteristic doesn't make it true, regardless of how strenuously they may state it.

After all, Rachel Dolezal is NOT black. Is she black because she flies the banner of blackness? She sure thinks that she does. Most of us know better.

So why can't we say that some people who call themselves Christians are obviously NOT Christians?

There's something else going on here. And that something else is likely disdain for people of faith.

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  12. NikR

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    To expand a bit, we just saw an example of how people throw words around. A few weeks ago, there was a poll found that "evangelicals" were more likely to support Roy Moore after the allegations of child abuse.

Now, who on earth could say that child molestation would make one more inclined to lend your credibility or support? How can you, as a purported person of faith, endorse a child molester? Well, it all started with the definition of 'evangelical'.

At vox.com, here: Roy Moore and the confused identity of today’s "evangelical" voter

"In today’s media, “evangelical” has shifted from the historic definition to become more of a rough political and ethnic signifier. What today’s “evangelicals” have in common is not so much Biblicism or action for the gospel, but a self-defined sense of religiosity and a dogged commitment to Republican politics. And being white."

So there you have it. "Evangelicals" today are clearly not Christians in the historic sense of the word; they are merely white republicans. They don't even go to church or pray! And these "evangelicals" are saying that they support Roy Moore in a reflexive, partisan manner.

Again, it's clear to me that these people aren't actually Christians. Others have come to that same conclusion. I'm praying to Beelzebub that you...oh who am I kidding?

Also, on fallacies. You know...lemme not even start. lol

13. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    So this will be my last comment because I understand the indoctrination.

Religion has always been political...this shit aint new. Politics and power in part is why the make believe Jesus was crucified.

...Christians are just regular fucked up judgmental people who use their cult to make themselves feel more important, relevant and to give them purpose via hope in a promised after life.

Christian folk are constantly telling others how they are

-of the wrong religion
    -of the wrong denomination
    -or how the "others" are not being a proper true anointed saved Christian

While they all are some how an authority on true or real Christianity. Another 'true / real' Christian could easily dice your comment to shreds with the same jargon about how your understanding and faith is flawed because you're a sinful unnatural abomination possessed by a homosexual demon spirit.

To them...you're a fake Christian and have zero authority on the subject.

They would be wrong why? Your sexuality is in direct contradiction to the written words in the Bible...which is what your faith is based on. There are books, chapters, verses that clearly state your sexuality is not in line with God.

alton, jusrawb and Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  14. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    ^^ Actually while I don't like any organized religion that is not true. Some Christians do that. You cannot act like all Christians are not individual people who even have different definitions of what Christianity is. That would be like saying all blacks are a hive mind and are 'all X' or 'all Y' and we know better than that, now don't we? Way to demonize every Christian though...gotta love that 'them' stuff.

Nik took you apart on this one lol.

:troll:

..Oh ...and Fuck Moore.
    100dap

NikR dapped this.
  15. NikR

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    So I guess I'll see you in 6-12 months, when we have our next round of...this.

16. Cyrus-Brooks

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship

The funny thing about religions is no one truly follows them and everyone claims they do. The road to hypocrisy is paved with holy books. Anyone claim a religious identity because religion itself is phony construct. Rachel Dolezal can't claim to be black because a simple DNA test would show she likely has little or no African heritage. Comparing race and religion is comparing apples to oranges.

I make no secret about my disdain for organized religion. If people of faith can "love sinner and hate the sin." I can love the believer and hate the religion. Seems fair to me.

alton, OckyDub and I-Stay-Woke dapped this.
  17. NikR

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    I didn't make a comparison- I was pointing out the problem with the thought process, "well if they say it it must be true". Knee jerk acceptance of identity does simplify the world- you can quickly determine if someone fits the part they claim to play whether you feel they have the trappings of said identity. Unfortunately it often doesn't lead to expanding of that definition.

You say you actively disdain religion. I suspect it goes further- that you disdain anyone who claims to even feign to attempt to use Christianity as a set of guiding principles to improve their or anyone else's lives. So it really doesn't matter if self-identified Christians aren't actually who they say they are (demonstrably; see above); after all, they fit neatly into your remarkably negative view of Christians in general. And so the conversation just...ends. But I guess there are worse things in life.

#17 NikR, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  18. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    At this point, to pick apart these illogical statements would take way too much time that I'm not willing to invest but god bless you.

Cyrus-Brooks, alton and ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  19. jusrawb

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    We shouldn't generalize any group of people but there are stereotypes where the majority of the groups hold some truth to. Yes all Christians aren't bad but no body even knows what a true Christian is. Religion topics are interesting but exhausting and pointless. I think we can all agree the black church has many flaws. I say let the religious people have there beliefs but the whole "separation of church and state" is BS! That's the problem remove the religion from the democracy. Its like having a roommate, you can decorate your room with all the white Jesus you want but the common area of the house should be neutral.

Cyrus-Brooks and OckyDub dapped this.
  20. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Bless your heart as well.

OckyDub dapped this.
  21. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Im right there witcha, bruh. Shit like this pisses me off to no f#$kin end.

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  22. Boaxy

Boaxy SO FIERCE
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    I've noticed as of late, ever since Obama left office. The black church has for some reason sadly stepped onto the more conservative side as far as social politics go. I don't know why, but it's just something I've noticed.

23. Cyrus-Brooks

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship

There in lies the problem. There are many Dominionists trying infiltrate the public domain and influence laws and policy. There are too many Dominionists like Roy Moore, Ted Cruz, etc who are already in government, politics, and the courts trying to subvert the principal of separation of church and state trying to turn this country into a Christian theocracy. These people can't be compromised with the must be fought.

jusrawb dapped this.
  24. Cyrus-Brooks

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    A similar phenomenon happened when George W Bush was in office. I got 3 words for you FAITH BASED INITIATIVE. These pork chop preachers chasing that government dollar. In order to get money they gotta tow the conservative party line when they're in power.

25. DFW Brutha

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    an the congregation said...
    [​IMG]

Boaxy dapped this.