"Shape Up: Gay in the Black Barbershop"

Discussion in 'LGBT News and Events' started by cuspofbeauty, Apr 26, 2016.

1. cuspofbeauty

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I hope its safe to post this.

I don't think I have ever worried about my barber finding out I was gay. The conversations that go on are a whole different story. Now that i think about it, I have always gone to a Latin barbershop. I couldn't understand what they were saying anyway. The past five years my barber(owner) has been black and the environment is not heavy. You can be yourself.

What have been your experiences?

Jaa, ChrisM, Tyroc and 2 others dapped this.
  2. grownman

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Awesome! I will definitely look into this.

My exp: I went to my neighborhood barber a Jamaican dude from 8-18, off and on. He was extremely quiet-and so am I. He had a small building that he rented out and was the only person cutting. So, I didn't have to deal with that growing up. I also have male cousins or friends that could cut. But, started going bald early and now shave my own head.

cuspofbeauty dapped this.
  3. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Ive been shaving my head the last couple of years, but when i grow my fade out, i go to a Dominican barber. He's abt 50, smokes hella weed, n drinks coronas while cutting. Faded, bearded n straight razored in 20 mins. Best barber ever.

When I was growing up tho, I went to a round the way shop. They were a bunch of early 20 something black dudes who kept the jokes flowing n talked hella shyt. I used to need breaks from laughing so hard, so that I wouldnt mess my cut up. Classic, good old, black barbershop times. And my barber was fine...matter of fact, they all were. Except the resident old head who owned the shop. Nuthin against older heads, ol boy just wasnt cute.

4. Tyroc

Tyroc Deactivated Account

Daps Received:
    If I had a buddy or a friend that went, I'd go with him for the experience.

I occasionally get random invites to come in and get a cut when passing by various shops but I've been cutting my own since the early 80's.

I used to go back with my father during the old school 70's when Playboy, Players and Penthouse were there for entertainment while you waited and a whole lot of sh!t talking mixed in with street knowledge and facts.

5. ChrisM

ChrisM Lurker

Daps Received:
    Interesting documentary. It would have been cool to see the movie Barber shop take on this issue. My experiences have been normal, go in the chair, tell him what you want, chat a little bit and be done. I moved and haven't found a new barber so I cut it myself after a new barber gave me a horrible cut. I do want to find a new barber though. I don't know what my new experiences will be.

I always had bad dandruff so that made me nervous because when he cuts it flakes would fall. I used to feel like people could see that lmao.

6. itsumoconfused

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Oddly enough with my most recent barber, I met him off of Grindr, and that has changed services or anything. I only pop in every few months for a shape up or most recently a complete cut, since I'm more keen on growing out my hair nowadays while I still have it and I just want it to be the way that it's supposed to grow. I was actually looking forward to collaborating a bit with him in some community affairs with the youngins in the neighborhood and setting up an online system, but that fell through thanks to work :(

7. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I am confused about this, why does my Barber need to know who I like in the Sheets!?!:whut:
    I have had the same barber since I was in Junior High but I do not see the need for him to get into that aspect of my personal life. I invite his family to functions and he knows my family very well but that is about it! This ''closeness''/need to be yourself or afraid in the barber shop is something that I do not see the need or reason for.

grownman, cuspofbeauty and alton dapped this.
  8. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I've been going the same barber for 10 years. I've had some really deep conversations in the barbershop regarding, racism, religion, economics, politics, cars, and other subjects. However recently the subject of homosexuality came up. My barber expressed some homophobic views. Which causes me to vote with my feet. Now I just keep my hair cut short. It's really easy to do sine I have clippers at home......problem solved. The added benefit is it save money on haircuts.

alton, Sean P, Lancer and 1 other person dapped this.
  9. takeyourmeds91

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    That sh*t gets annoying sometimes though. The jokes and games are cool for a second but I don't need you taking 5 hours to cut my hair cus you talking sh*t across the shop. I got stuff to do.

cuspofbeauty and alton dapped this.
  10. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Lol. I feel u, but I was a kid/teen, so I ate it up.