Sun/star Sign Astrology and the Ways It Influences Perception

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by Jaa, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Jaa

Jaa
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I've never been a strong believer in astrological sign-based psychological and compatibility beliefs. They can be fun to read and joke about with friends, but I never placed much stock in the possibility of people born at certain times sharing certain personality traits and being more/less compatible with certain others. However, I know many people find some degree of truth in astrological trends and personality types.

How do you feel about signs? For those who believe in them, is it because you've accumulated anecdotal evidence? Would you choose or rule out a potential friend/date/relationship based on signs? Can you or someone you know generally guess the signs of others? Is it possible that some sign-based beliefs sometimes involve confirmation bias, luck or coincidence, or are not unlike a psychic giving a client a vague reading that can broadly apply to a wide variety of people and personalities? Do you ever encounter people that counter what you expect, like a prude with a sign associated with freaky sexual habits or a lazy bum with a sign known for high levels of motivation?

If I personally encountered multiple situations which aligned with compatibility trends, I'd probably give them more credit myself. Really, my skepticism has lead me to not really look into the signs of my acquaintances, so maybe my experiences align more than I think. At the moment, I'm leaning toward coincidence and chance more than actual birth date-based connections, but I won't begrudge someone using personal anecdotal evidence to provide a bit of guidance. If some can guess others' signs with a high degree of success, maybe there's something to it.

Below is a link to a black gay blogger's horoscope guide. A few descriptions in the Capricorn section maybe kinda sorta fit me. The blog has some entertaining stories (and occasionally NSFW pictures) if you're curious. I think it's been linked here before.

Immanuel's Gay Horoscope Guide

EDIT: He made a few errors. Leo is July 23 - August 22 and Virgo is August 23 - September 22. I think all of his "x month/22" - "y month/21" ranges should actually begin on x/23 and end on y/22.

#1 Jaa, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    @yahoo.com and Jdudre dapped this.
  2. cypher21

cypher21 Deactivated Account
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    VIRGO (September 22-October 21)

Good Points: Detailed, meticulous, good dressers and good conversationalists. Gay Virgo men are usually successful in the profession they choose and are hard workers. They are good listeners and give good advice. They are ruled by the planet Venus so sex is very important to them. Sexually they might not be the freakiest but they bring passion to their game.

Bad Points: Gay Virgo men have a tendency to be overly critical of friends and lovers. “You are wearing that sweater? That shit went out of fashion in 2002!” They can also be fussy and obsessive compulsive. Oh, and that holier-than-thou attitude can be a front. Behind the scenes undeveloped Virgos can be some of the biggest sluts around — they just keep their stuff on the down-low.

I'll have them know I am a COMPLETE saint....
    [​IMG]

...I find the right guy....
    [​IMG]

touches me in my warm places and kissing me tender...
    [​IMG]

and gently bending me over
    [​IMG]

give me that sweet D--WAIT!! This isn't what I wanted to post!?!
    [​IMG]

yeah....*ahem* This is waaaay off...LOL

I think some of this stuff does apply to alot of people sometimes but alot of it is just vague enough to describe other in a general sense but we all (most of us) are complex beings and I don't try to box other into Star Sign personalities. I do think its fun to read every now and then though!

#TeamVirgo
    @DreG @SB3 @Nick Delmacy

#2 cypher21, Jan 25, 2016
  3. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    The only things I'd disagree w are the 'not the freakiest'/'biggest sluts'. I personally think its more like, 'behind closed n COMFY doors, virgos are some of the biggest freaks, due to being naturally, more 'prudent' w strangers, but waaay less pressed in a 'comfort zone'. The perceived virgo 'hangups' are waaaay more abt what we wana let ppl in on/see of our public image, but those lucky enough to get in w us quickly learn how we modestly keep our dirt 'over there' n are as loyal as they come.

- yea, i used quotation marks incorrectly. Sue me.

- even if it doesnt work w u n a virgo, u might wana try to be his friend. Its a good look

DreG, cypher21 and Jaa dapped this.
  4. Tyroc

Tyroc Deactivated Account

Daps Received:
    GEMINI (May 22-June 21)

Good Points: Geminis are the communicators of the Zodiac. This is the gay man you want around when you want good conversation(yeah, we can talk your ear off), the latest gossip, and what’s the latest in news and fashion (I'm missing that gay gene). Gay Gemini men talk alot and even when they are older have an air of youth about them (I am well preserved). Sexually Geminis are game — they are imaginative and giving lovers who will try anything once (make that 3x) and tell you all about it (sharing is caring).

Bad Points: Geminis, especially younger ones who haven’t calmed down, can be moody bitches. Which twin is showing up today? Think you have that Gemini man tied down? Think again. They can be very unemotional (emotions are overrated). When a Gemini is bored with you they will take off and not look back (yup).

[​IMG]
    Gemini Celebrity: Maxwell (well preserved older dude, not unlike myself)

These magnets are the best +/- Gemini descriptors that I have found to date.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

cypher21 and Jaa dapped this.
  5. Dr. Strange

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Hmm, don't know how accurate this is. According to it I'm a Virgo and a Libra.

VIRGO (September 22-October 21)
    LIBRA (September 22-October 21)

My birthday is on the 26th.

6. SB3

Daps Received:
    Lol. Ur a libra. Sep 26th

cypher21 dapped this.
  7. Dr. Strange

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I figured lol. I just wanted to point out the discrepancy!

Jaa and cypher21 dapped this.
  8. Jaa

Jaa
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    He wrote the wrong dates for Leo and Virgo. Minor errors often slip through the cracks in long blogs.

Dr. Strange and cypher21 dapped this.
  9. cypher21

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Yeah I agree with you, at least for myself, cause I am very cautious about who knows what about me in person, even personality wise I play my cards very close to my chest...probably why people that don't know me think I'm "prudish" or a stick in the mud but I like to have fun like everybody..just depends who with...

:umad::ufdup:

DreG and SB3 dapped this.
  10. cypher21

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Not looking
    September babies!!! My due date was actually the 22nd and was almost a Libra but was born on the 21th (last official day of summer) so I like to think I'm little of both sometimes lol

Dr. Strange dapped this.
  11. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    I am TEAM CAPRICORN:

Good points: Level-headed, kind and sensible, a gay Capricorn man is the one you want in your corner. You will never go broke hanging with a Capricorn — money and security are important to them and they can advise you on how to get ahead in life. They exude class and success. Sexually they may be slow to warm up but once you get them going watch out. Their sign is not symbolized by the randy goat for nothing.

Bad points: Capricorns tend to focus too much on getting ahead and achieving social status in life, which can make them neglectful of their loved ones. It can also make them boring. Capricorns also have a tendency to be angels at home but hide their freaky side from partners. If they learn to not be uptight and let loose every once in a while they are much more fun.

Like it has been said here before, I don't really follow the Zodiac or Astrology but they are entertaining to read and almost always on point. This is the story of my life pretty much. My husband is a Virgo and his was pretty much on par too, minus the well-dressed. He wouldn't be well dressed if it weren't for me getting him clothes and telling him what to wear.

#11 BlackguyExecutive, Jan 25, 2016
    Jaa dapped this.
  12. Jdudre

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    TAURUS (April 22-May 21)

Good points: Taurus men are strong, self-assured and confident. They are not complicated people and are always the level-headed one in the bunch. Need good advice? Go to a Taurus, they won’t steer you wrong. Need a true friend? A Taurus is your man. They have good healthy attitudes toward sex and are usually good at it. You want to spice up your bedroom game? Go see a Taurus for advice.

Bad Points: Taurus men love luxury and fine things,which can lead them to overextend themselves financially. They are also stubborn — once they make up their minds about something that is usually it so don’t try arguing. Also, do not embarrass them or take their quietness for being a pushover. You could end up with a bull’s horns up your ass and believe me the experience will not be pleasurable.

[​IMG]
    Taurus Celebrity: Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson
    While I do love Astrology, and the like I general look at it as just fun and not something to be taken to seriously, But the above description does fit me most of the time.

Jaa and cypher21 dapped this.
  13. bpaisle

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    LEO (August 22-September 21)

Good points: You better be rested to keep up with a Leo. They are fun-loving and social and enjoy having a large circle of friends and associates. They are generous with their time and attention and make great companions and lovers, as long as you let them take the lead because like lions they are the King of the Jungle. They have also ferocious sexual appetites so be ready to be eaten alive!

Bad points: Their larger-than-life egos can be irritating. Leos can sometimes paint the picture that they are successful but don’t have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of. Also, when in a relationship with a gay Leo man be prepared to be in an unequal relationship. In their minds they are running things and you are the sidekick.

wesleysnipes.jpg

Mmmmmmm I think he got more stuff wrong than he got right lol...
    and why Wesley though

Jaa dapped this.
  14. @yahoo.com

@yahoo.com When the lights get low, I Burn Brighter.
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    I am a scorpio and this sums me up quite well. I normally hate these things, because let's be truthful they can be very general and very biased by the author who is not really into astrology. But, this one, is on point and it sums up overall some of the other signs I have had intimate interactions with well.

Jaa dapped this.
  15. Discordant

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    ARIES (March 21 to April 21)

Good points: Men born under the sign of the ram are natural-born leaders. They are usually active, confident, love to socialize, and even if they are short statured seem to be taller than they are. People who are born under the sign of Aries or having Aries in their chart, for instance as a rising sign, are also highly sexed. So to keep one be a good conversationalist and try to keep sex fun and varied (Some Aries love role-playing and threesomes).

Bad points: Gay Aries men can have a short attention span, so may come across as insensitive. This short attention span also makes them more likely to come on strong at the beginning of a relationship and then disappear, leaving you wondering “What the fuck just happened here?” Although they come across as confident their egos can be quite fragile and they need a lot of stroking, which can be tedious to friends and partners. And watch out because this sign can be possessive.

Looks mostly right. I'm not possessive though. Territorial, maybe, but not possessive. Could also be because I'm an ENFP. I've also found March Aries, like myself and my sister, are a bit more relaxed whereas the April ones are the stereotypically more rambunctious Aries. I don't believe that they can predict the future, but knowing that air pressure, temperature, and even the position of the moon can affect mood and temperament, I don't find it a stretch that it can affect a fetus going through the whole 9 month period in the womb, giving similar generic personality traits.

That said, I don't give it too much thought when potentially dating someone. I have other non-physical criteria that I'm more interested in.

Nick Delmacy and Jaa dapped this.
  16. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Since its on topic, Imma just sit this right here and slowly walk away...

[​IMG]

17. Jaa

Jaa
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I'd probably go nuts dating somebody who swings between these extremes. I'd need them to give me space when they're feeling like the blue one.

In your early dating days, did you think to yourself, "This guy could use some help in the fashion department?" If he were stubborn and resistant to changing his questionable fashion, how would you have felt? Would it have just been a harmless personality quirk?

He actually got the Leo dates wrong. They're around July 23 - August 22. August 23 - September 22 is actually Virgo. Actually, I see ranges go up or down by a few days at different places (between 20 and 23), but those are the accurate months, at least. Unfortunately I didn't notice until @Dr. Strange pointed out the mistake. How do you feel about the Virgo description? Or maybe you already knew you were a Leo and didn't notice the date error so the writer is just straight up wrong. These writings aren't exactly scientific.

Hmm. Excerpts from a Google Books preview, responses to the question "What smells and tastes on your partner do you enjoy?":
    Reminded me of @ockydub's "Who Likes Musky Nutts?" post. A bit different from most of the responses in the "Scent of a [Gay] Guy." thread. Also, A Sexual Memory of an Aries:
    Reminded me of you posting about a web series using rape as eroticism, or that web series guy getting turned on when pinned against a wall or whatever he said. Clearly there's an audience that appreciates a little aggression or forcefulness. It's not uncommon to hear an interest in people who take charge and take the lead, hopefully without it getting as extreme as these web series situations.

I once lightly placed my hand on someone's upper chest/neck/throat at a certain moment while my other hand migrated elsewhere on his body, and he later happily reflected something like, "It's like you knew what to do without me even saying," though at the time he did say something about not doing it too hard or leaving a mark, notably not telling me to stop. I really didn't have choking in mind when this happened but he certainly seemed receptive to it.

#17 Jaa, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  18. SB3

Daps Received:
    I actually hadnt even seen the opening of the thread before I posted. I just saw that I was tagged n responded to that post.

My point though, is that while I know the 'typicals' of a few signs pretty strongly, I DO NOT endorse astrology running ur dating life!

Just stay away from those damn aquas...

Tyroc dapped this.
  19. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    In your early dating days, did you think to yourself, "This guy could use some help in the fashion department?" If he were stubborn and resistant to changing his questionable fashion, how would you have felt? Would it have just been a harmless personality quirk?

@Jaa In our early days, I was a little taken back by his lack of style and his failure to recognize that no one wears bootcut jeans anymore or that his shoe game was 10 years old. But I was also comforted in that those kinds of material things didn't matter to him. On one of our first gift exchanges I got him some new clothes and a outfit that I thought he would look good in and he was surprised at how different he looked with an updated wardrobe. He was pretty open to changing his style but it is all my doing. He still does not like to shop for anything clothing wise. For example, he needed a new brown belt because his broke and instead of going to get one, he just used a black belt for everything. I finally was like, here you go, I bought you a new belt. If he really liked his clothes it wouldn't have matter that much to me. Clothes are clothes.

In my current line of work, clothing matters especially when I was serving as a cultural attache but he is getting better and I still add my 5 cents on his attire particularly, when we are doing something official. Outside of that, he can wear what he wants and because of me he has some modern cuts in his closet.

Jaa dapped this.
  20. bpaisle

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    @Jaa "He actually got the Leo dates wrong. They're around July 23 - August 22. August 23 - September 22 is actually Virgo. Actually, I see ranges go up or down by a few days at different places (between 20 and 23), but those are the accurate months, at least. Unfortunately I didn't notice until @Dr. Strange pointed out the mistake. How do you feel about the Virgo description? Or maybe you already knew you were a Leo and didn't notice the date error so the writer is just straight up wrong. These writings aren't exactly scientific."

LMAO I didn't even notice it. I just copied and pasted it. My birthday is on August 20th so I'm like right on the cusp between the two. I think that people put too much stock into horoscopes. A lot of it is mostly generalizations. For example, you always hear that Leos are always loud and outspoken. I'm actually pretty reserved. I also think that people take whatever their horoscope says and find something in their life to relate it to.

Jaa dapped this.
  21. Tyroc

Tyroc Deactivated Account

Daps Received:
    Ah, but the thing beauty of the wordings between the blue and the orange? yellow?
    Is that it's not really an extreme swing, more like a fine line and definitely depends on perceptions.
    Two differing views can exist in one.
    One example is that I have an open mind and can objectively see both sides of a disagreement between two people, however some see that as two faced and feel that I have to or should choose a side.

Jaa dapped this.
  22. Discordant

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Interesting. I actually do find scent important. It's one of the things that plays into my attraction. I don't like musty, though.

23. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I'm on again off again when it comes to Astrology. Some of the basics for me in any given Zodiac "guide" (Libra) are pretty on point but a lot of sh!t is just generalized stuff that can kinda apply to anyone. I will say tho, I was born from two Virgos, and many of my close associates as well as one of my best friends, are all Virgos. Straight/ Gay/ male/ female, they're all control freaks and/or LOVE cutting someone down at any given chance. LOL