Surprise! Duke's Next Incoming Class Won't Get to Choose Roommates

Discussion in 'Career, Work, Finances and Education' started by mojoreece, Mar 1, 2018.

1. mojoreece

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Surprise! Duke's Next Incoming Class Won't Get to Choose Roommates
    Posted by Sarah Willets on Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 4:28 PM
    [​IMG]
    Duke University announced today that the Class of 2022 will be getting random roommate assignments. SURPRISE!

The change could encourage students to get out of their comfort zones, but seems bound to cause some headaches, too. I for one found my freshman roommates through a Facebook questionnaire. Half ended up being some of my best friends, half ended up dating drug dealers who took over our dorm to film shitty experimental movies (Oh, college!) So, really this thing could go either way.

In a letter to incoming freshman, Larry Moneta, the vice president of Student Affairs, and Steve Nowicki, the dean and vice provost for Undergraduate Education, said the change is being made amid "increasing numbers of students who have pre-selected roommates, often with very similar backgrounds to their own."

Moneta tweeted out the full letter:

"Our experience over many years assures us (and thus, you) that you’ll be fine...better, in fact!” they wrote. “We believe you’ll enjoy the opportunity to meet someone you’ve not previously known and will have a great opportunity to explore your roommate’s history, culture and interests.”

Lifestyle preferences, like preferred sleep hours, as well as medical needs "and other requirements for distinctive accommodations," will be taken into account in making the assignments. The school will also work with assigned roommates who "have compatibility challenges." What could go wrong?

2. mojoreece

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    I wonder how this is going to work. I know for me if I went to Duke as a freshman I would want someone that was of a same background as me. It would make living at Duke mush easier.

3. machoBLKnerd

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    i went to duke for undergrad and explicitly asked for a blk roommate. they gave me a single. in my second year, i roomed with a white guy i didn't know since my homies were on the football team or in frats both of which came w/ housing, so i had to fend for myself. i blacked out on the white roomie after some racially insensitive shit, and they gave me a single after i made a petition. it was interesting situation. it's great that duke recognizes that many of our self proclaimed preferences are indeed (unexamined) prejudices. however, it also ignores the reality of white supremacy and that black ppl in particular often need shelter in an anti-blk world.

#3 machoBLKnerd, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    mojoreece dapped this.
  4. acessential

Squad Leader Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I lived in a shared suite my freshman year with 7 other guys. All random. 4 white. 1 Chinese-American. Two were international students from Saint-Martin, but they were ethnically Indian. They were all very much the stereotypical "bro" type though. I didn't have a terrible experience. I would hang out with them here and there, but we just didn't click like that. And they definitely made a lot of racially insensitive comments. But, I actually got along best with the two Indian dudes. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with with them being non-white and from the Caribbean, but I have a feeling it might have played a role.

But even then, I haven't talked to any of them in years. I made my core group of friends from my scholarship program that was targeted towards low-income, first generation college students. We were were mostly black or Latino. Even though I went to a PWI, I honestly didn't have any white friends until my senior year. I went to an expensive ass private school, so I couldn't really relate to most of the rich white students. It was easier to make friends with other low-income students and students of color. I'm still friends with them today.

DC. and mojoreece dapped this.
  5. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Is choosing your own roommate a common practice? Is this a Duke specific thing? It might be relevant to when/where I went to college, but we were all given random roommate assignments. This happened at both schools I attended.

DC. and mojoreece dapped this.
  6. DC.

DC.
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    I feel like they are just asking for world of hurt and headaches to be honest. 100 dollars says by the end of the first week the person in charge of the dorms will have meetings left and right with students requesting roommate changes. I mean I hope this works for them but still. Living in the dorm some years ago myself at college, it was usually a hit or miss with me. I only ever had a true bond with my black roommates which were far and few in between. But most of my friends I did make from the same residence hall we lived in, but were never roommates. In fact I still keep in touch with one of my RA's from my freshman year. But soon after I had to request singles. Having roommates is great and all but I feel like if you going through too many adjustments in one sitting, new job, new school etc, it helps to have your own space to properly assess the world around you at that time.

acessential dapped this.