Terry Crews: ‘Masculinity Can Be A Cult’

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by OckyDub, Apr 16, 2018.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Terry Crews knows just how damaging toxic masculinity can be.

The actor and activist participated in a discussion at Tina Brown’s ninth annual Women in the World Summit in New York on Saturday afternoon. Crews ― along with panelists Joanna Coles, chief operating officer at Hearst Magazines, and Lauren Duca, a journalist ― discussed the recent Me Too movement and how it’s affected cultural perceptions of sex, consent and gender roles.

True to form, Crews took a moment to point out how masculinity contributes to issues of sexual violence and gender inequality.

“Masculinity can be a cult,” Crews said. “And when I say ‘cult,’ it’s no different than David Koresh. It’s no different than Jim Jones.”

He said that men ― whether consciously or unconsciously ― rarely see women as “all the way human.”

“This is what you have to understand ― there is a humanity issue here,” he continued. “[Women are] like, ‘Why don’t you hear me? Why don’t you see my feelings?’ And [men are] like, ‘But you’re not all the way human. You’re here for me, you’re here for my deal.’ It’s real.”

Crews’ comments were met with applause from the crowd at Manhattan’s Lincoln Center Theater.

“I am guilty,” Crews added. “I believed, simply because I was a man, that I was more valuable than my wife and the other women in my life.”

As an example, Crews recalled when he used to play football and he and his teammates would go to strip clubs. They’d be having fun, Crews said, until the stripper began talking to them about her life outside of the club.

“Once she starts talking about that she has kids or she starts talking about anything in her life, it’s like, ‘Stop, stop, stop.’ Because [she’s] becoming a human before my eyes,” he said. “I don’t want you to be a human. I want you to be an object. I want you to be something pretty to look at. But as you talk, you’re making things too real for me.”

Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  2. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    But isn't that more of a reflection of how he treated those strippers? I can understand and see from the point of view that he's at the strip club to get entertainment and not let's talk about feelings. But just out of common curiosity it would have been fine for him to just let her talk. So was it that he felt she was "less than" because she was a stripper or because she was a woman or both?

I get tiiieeeeed of people who seem to want to blame men and masculinity for all of their problems. Can there not be a range of masculinity?? It always gets lumped into one box. Masculinity wasn't even the problem here.

Cyrus-Brooks, SB3 and mojoreece dapped this.
  3. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  4. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    What Terry Crews describes really only applies to most heterosexual men, and is irrelevant by in large to homosexual men, even those who are masculine. It's my observation that the great irony of being a straight man is that pussy is both an object of desire and derision. Many of not most of them are forced to put up with the woman attached to it whether they think of her as a person or not. I think that's an appropriate punishment.