The First U.S. Memorial for Lynching Victims Will Open in Alabama

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by OckyDub, Oct 5, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]
    An Alabama-based civil rights organization will construct a monument in Montgomery to commemorate victims of lynchings across the South. TheEqual Justice Initiative will also construct a museum nearby focused on African-American history, the group announced in a press release on Monday. Both are scheduled to open in 2017.

The memorial will be the first in the country to pay tribute to the more than 4,000 black victims of lynching who were killed between 1877 and 1950. The 6-acre monument will feature a series of columns, each representing a county where “racial terror lynchings” took place, according to the Equal Justice Initiative. The names of the victims will be engraved on the columns.

[​IMG]

Bryan Stevenson, the organization’s director, said in an interview with theAssociated Press, that by acknowledging the darker aspects of the country’s history, hopefully the U.S. can work toward a more unified future.

“I don’t think we can afford to continue pretending that there aren’t these really troubling chapters in our history,” Stevenson said. “I think we’ve got to deal with it.”

A few blocks away from the memorial in Montgomery, a new museum, called From Enslavement to Mass Incarceration, will rise on the site of a former slave warehouse, near a former slave auction house and a river dock and train station from which slaves were trafficked. The museum will trace the history of slavery to the mass imprisonment of black Americans today, which scholar Michelle Alexander has dubbed the “New Jim Crow.”

News of the museum comes days after the grand opening of the National Museum of African American History and Culture, the first Smithsonian Institution dedicated to the contributions of black Americans. During remarks at an opening ceremony on Saturday, Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama said the museum helps America acknowledge the full truth of its past.

“As President Bush just said, a great nation doesn’t shy from the truth. It strengthens us. It emboldens us. It should fortify us,” Obama said. “It is an act of patriotism to understand where we’ve been.”

mojoreece and Jdudre dapped this.
  2. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Future headline, "Lynching Memorial Vandalized"

alton and Jdudre dapped this.
  3. Jdudre

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    True but it's one of those things that you gotta just have in the back of your mind that it's going to happen.

4. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Sad but true. I hope there is a strategically placed closed circuit camera type of system, artfully hidden and difficult to detect, that is installed(and if this is not installed, the funds should be raised for it-I would contribute a buck or two) so that when the inevitable pieces of scum do vandalize the place, they will be on camera and will be stupid enough to let some aspect of themselves be recognizable, because most white people do not do the 'no snitching' thing and will turn these people in. (In fact, lots of white people absolutely love to snitch and have a reason to call the police breathlessly (especially if reward$$$$ are involved), so there will be someone who will turn on them lol).

They should then just be handed over to the local black populace, who can determine a 'fitting punishment' imo, but this last part likely won't happen.