The Gift - HIV Documentary

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by Lancer, May 6, 2017.

1. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I think the differences between when this docu was made and now is that, you can get all you want on your mobile phone, drug use has greatly been introduced and keeps rising, HIV/AIDS is highly glamorized than it was back then, and Gift givers are in higher demand and even exulted now. In my opinion its only going to get worse with no relief in sight.

Boaxy dapped this.
  2. Boaxy

Boaxy SO FIERCE
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    Thanks for sharing.

I remember when I first saw that years ago on youtube when I was still in High School.

During the time this documentary was made, HIV/AIDS was still a thrilling and scary topic and thing to discuss. Especially around the gay male culture, and how sadly there is this tag associated with it.

At this time, bug chasers were just people that I think were sadly impatient and uneducated, and thought if you are sexually active in the gay community, there was no way that you were not eventually going to become HIV positive. So that's when bug chasing and gift givers became something common, enough for this film to be made.

Fast forward to present day, with Prep, and HIV awareness, and ARV meds which make living with HIV very simple, this documentary is interesting to look at now, with all of that.

Bug chasing, and gift giving seems kinda a washed and swept away topic now, and it's not really as a hot topic as it was back then.

But the message is still useful and it's thought provoking.

Goldentree dapped this.