The Gun Control We Deserve

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by BlackExcellence, Jun 21, 2016.

1. BlackExcellence

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    The Gun Control We Deserve

"Clamping down now makes sense as a way to stack the deck against escalations in civil unrest, whether catalyzed by climate change, economic disruption, or further instances of racist police violence. The bottom line is that, in the worst case scenario, America doubles down on the carceral security state and uses “gun control” as a warrant for doing so. Meanwhile, the prerogatives of white supremacy—a foundational organizing principle of the US far more insidiously lethal than mere physical weapons—would be preserved."

NikR dapped this.
  2. Sean

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    This falls into the category of being too long to read. lol.

3. NikR

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    hmmm.. i guess i won't send you Ta-Nehisi Coates' tour de force "the Case for Reparations" then. Too bad. It's a good read. And at least one Associate Justice of SCOTUS cites TNC's broader work. All I'm saying.

#3 NikR, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  4. NikR

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    Yeah, this is sad.

"the neoliberal dystopia. In this scenario, the circle of compassion of “gun control” advocates is further constrained by identifications along narrow lines of race and class. The problem of “gun violence” is reduced to the problem of high-profile rampage killings: in other words, to irruptions of violence in spaces that nurture, facilitate, or at least symbolize the flow of human capital (such as schools, shopping malls, and office parks). Although such events represent only a minuscule fraction of gun fatalities nationwide, their undeniable horror and the widespread media coverage they attract generates donations, votes, and political capital for those politicians, Democrat and Republican, who are savvy enough to tap them. "

This part hit me hard, since it essentially describes where we are now. One of my former preceptor's (a doctor who supervises) mothers was murdered in a mass shooting. He sometimes gets interviewed or releases statements.

Sadly, there isn't much to do about this on the national level. But there might be ways to combat this on a more local level. Remember, all politics is local. It's hard, but local. Every little bit counts.

Good read

BlackExcellence dapped this.