The Other Immigrants

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by Winston Smith, May 31, 2016.

1. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    One thing that gets ignored in all the talk, Democratic or Republican, regarding U.S. immigration policy is that many LGBT folk come to the U.S., legally or illegally, as immigrants, refugees or asylees to escape repression and even death for simply being gay or transgender. If Latinos are feeling the heat because of Donald Trump's anti-Mexican, racist rhetoric, imagine how gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender immigrants must feel; escaping Uganda, ISIL/ISIS-controlled territories, Russian-influenced or other repressive regimes to come to America only to see butt hurt xenophobes decrying their religious right to further repress you or check your ID and junk Nazi/KGB/Stasi-style in the men's or women's restroom at the local gas station. All in the name of Jesus, Allah, Moses, SkyCake or whatever deity of choice must be defended for sure some warped interpretation of "religious freedom."

I thought about this when I was perusing the web site of ColumbusGuy's hometown newspaper, the Columbus Dispatch. There's a great story today about a couple of Ugandan refugees who escaped repression to come to Ohio, build new lives and continue to speak out for those left behind:

Two immigrants from Uganda have found themselves LGBT activists

I won't get too much into my personal connection to the issue, but the treatment of LGBT immigrants, asylees and refugees is an issue that's special to me. Even before I came to terms with my own orientation, years ago, I served with a gentleman from Sudan in the reserves who had lost his entire family to the Arab-Islamic slave traders and murderers. He was brought here by a church group to build a new life. Hearing him tell his story, I remember coming home from drill that evening and just tearing up. It's one of the few times as an adult man I've openly sobbed, thinking of how he escaped the kind of treatment that had (just) passed into the realm of history for me as an African-American. And that was just the horrors experienced by a straight African brother. Take that experience and couple it with the challenges of being gay in the "Old World."

As the election year drags on, and we hear more and more muddled talk about borders and immigrants, remember the immigrants that Trump et al rail against are not just stereotypical Mexicans crossing the Southwest borders, or Chinese asylum seekers. Many of them are our LGBT brothers and sisters, and most of those immigrants will have black and brown faces. These immigrants of colors come from the most repressive and dangerously homophobic countries on Earth (as you can see from the linked map from the ILGA, an international coalition of LGBT organizations).
    [​IMG]
    So, as we enter the summer pride season, in addition to health, homelessness and other LGBT issues besides tight-ab, speedo-clad go-go boys on rainbow floats, remember there's a fight to be waged for sane immigration policies. It isn't just about Mexicans or Chinese immigrants wanting to stay here to work here, it's also about many gay folk want to stay here to simply live and breathe.

Cyrus-Brooks, NikR, Discordant and 3 others dapped this.
  2. Lancer

Best Thread Creator The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I 101% approve this message! We tend to forget that its hard out there for other LGBT people looking for safety in developed countries. I can not speak much about the US however in Europe, Germany set up a separate refugee camp for LGBT refugees coming in. This was after they noticed that the LGBT refugees were being bullied by the other refugees, because in Islam it's considered 'Haram'. My thing is you are STILL carrying your backward believes into a new open society, and then expect them to welcome you when you got far Right groups pushing hard to send you back!?! That's a jist for another time:)

3. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Well I came here to post this very story from our paper, and here it is. Thanks Rico for posting this.

Columbus may have it's problems, but it really is not a bad place at all really to live and be a minority(of any type really) and the city is increasingly diverse. The second largest Somali population in America lives here, and part of the diversity is due to OSU(largest/second largest single university campus in the US.). Out of about 850,000 in the city itself, about 125,000 are foreign born, and it is more of a live-and-let-live city than people might think. Fastest growing city in the Midwest and one of the 15 fastest growing major cities in the US(one of only 2 outside of the sunbelt) and a very good economy.

The downsides of course are midwestern winters(we still can't drive worth sh!t on snow and ice here and they don't do a great job on clearing the roads either) and the flat landscape-not much variety at all there. And the worst part, we are still part of Ohio. The city should have the slogan 'We are really NOT like the rest of Ohio!' lol (Go much outside the immediate built up area and you are located in, well... see my location.)

*The two guys in question are going to cut the ribbon at the Gay Pride in Columbus coming up shortly, and because of this I actually have reconsidered and may go to the thing after having decided not to.

Winston Smith dapped this.
  4. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    That's great about the ribbon, maybe I'll roll through. You just have to think of yourself and Central Ohio as the Buckeye equivalent of Texas (i.e. Austin's attitude that we're not like the rest of these guys). I crack on cowtown sometimes, but I hate Chicago so f---ing much, it makes your burb look like Shangra La in comparison. Last time I was there, I admired the chillness of all these diverse folk from all over in a Walmart I was at. Chicago likes to put itself out there as Obamaville and liberal, etc. but the people here are so goddamned xenophobic (all races). That just makes the original topic of this thread even more stressful, as every ethnic group here wants to keep "them" out. Like I always say, if NYC and Chicago were the main characters of Steinbeck's novel, Chiraq is definiitely Lenny. Plus, these are some of the dumbest, fattest mofos on Earth. I saw a statistic that said 70% of the black women here are obese (y'all bros in ATL that hate when women throw it at you when you don't want it just be thankful it ain't Precious trying to give you some play).

But i digress, back to the original theme (lol). I know Columbus and Minneapolis (NOT Chicago, NYC or LA) were chosen as the places for many of the refugees to resettle for the reasons you state. That's why I support a structured, disciplined immigration policy. I am not naive enough to believe that everyone that comes here is an angel, but I've met far too many immigrant families that contribute to the entrepreneurial richness of the country (and you know how hard I stan for small business). If we could institute a program where we take one immigrant from some other country in exchange for every three U.S.-born Trump supporter and inner city gangbanger, Id readily support such a policy!

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  5. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    There have been some problems. There was a problem with Somalis and other African immigrants and the established black community initially, but these seem to have calmed down. There also was tension between a part of the black community and gays(especially white gays..see 'Flag Wars")over gentrification but things have calmed since then. I think people at least want to work together or try to so most serious problems seem to be avoided. I think the biggest problems are related to real and perceived social and economic class and money rather than anything else. The established gay 'community'(at least much of it ) can seem elitist and entitled to me a bit also, but that is kind of typical of 'the gheys' anywhere really.

From what I have seen the vast majority of immigrants, whether they are African, Asian, Hispanic, etc are very hard workers. My parents (fairly new)neighbors are immigrant hispanics who started their own construction business and now have a flourishing small business doing construction work and employing a number of other immigrants. They bought the house, and updated it and expanded the second floor-when I visited over the weekend they had invited my father over for a full tour of the place, and he said they have done an amazing job-that house looks better than it has in over 20 years on the outside, and is better on the inside than it has ever been(the house was built around 1960).