Therapy in the Black community

Discussion in 'Mental, Medical and Sexual Health' started by Jdudre, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Jdudre

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    NikR, Cyrus-Brooks, Jaa and 2 others dapped this.
  2. grownman

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    First, if any well meaning post rises up-there I am. We can't get enough of feeding our physical and mental health.

I read the article, and it was just another testimant concerning seeking mental health. Black Americans, and possible other minorities have a extreme resistance when it comes to getting ardvice from outside sources.

The article touched on religion as one of the culprits and in my story it's true. Growing up in a Pentecostal church is no joke. The "supernatural" is a strong component of the faith and receiving help from any other source is a lack of it.

A believer should be able to "fast and pray." Also, "3 or more touch and agree, it shall be done." Whatever the problem you were facing would disappear.

Yeah i know ,exactly. Lol. It wasn't until l went to college that my "eyes became open," figuratively speaking. Lol. I also chose psychology as my major. But, I got sidetracked and fell off course. That's another story.

NikR, Cyrus-Brooks, Jaa and 1 other person dapped this.
  3. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I think African Americans are starting to come around to the importance seeking help for depression and other mental illnesses. Many of us definitely need it. There are two problems when it comes to this, access and community stigma. Many of us still can't access mental health services because it's expensive also the black community still is very suspicious of psychology. Some of still rely on magic (religion) to cure our problems. I myself am in therapy. It's helped me to deal with and process a lot of the things I dealt with growing up. I'd recommend every black gay man go to therapy. The hostile environment that we find ourselves in is enough to cause all sorts of psychological problems. I've dealt with depression, anxiety, and even suicidal thoughts for many years. It's good to see more African Americans acknowledging the importance of mental wellbeing.

NikR, Jaa and grownman dapped this.
  4. grownman

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I love that you are open to share your story with us. I was seeing one as well, about six years ago. I stopped going after one session because 1. I couldn't afford it- lost my job and insurance .2. I was embarrassed about the things that I was shared.

So yes, I was moving in the right direction.

NikR and Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  5. NikR

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Single
    Kudos on bringing up this topic. And I'm giving a round of applause to people who read and replied to this tread. I see you @Jdudre , @Cyrus-Brooks , @grownman .

I think the article gets it right. And I agree with the above comments. It's true that knowing you can lean on a faith community does make people more resilient. But I think some people, esp older folks, discount the medical field too easily. Some things you just won't talk about at church- but you can tell a trained professional. I'm glad there have been examples of seeking 'outside' help on this thread. The level of self-awareness here is amazing.

grownman and Jaa dapped this.