ThisisRnB Presents: The 20 Best R&B Albums of 2016

Discussion in 'Music and Podcasts' started by Nigerian Prince, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Discover some new R&B music from this year and jam some favorites you already have.

ThisisRnB Presents: The 20 Best R&B Albums of 2016 | ThisisRnB.com - Hot New R&B Music, Videos, News

In ABC order (unranked):

Alicia Keys – HERE

After an extended hiatus growing and raising her family, Alicia Keys returned in a more natural and inspired state than we quite possibly ever experienced from her, at least since her breakout 2001 debut, Songs in A Minor. Equally reflective and conscious, the songstresses’ 2016 full-length release HERE embodies her New York City hip-hop flared roots in a way she had yet to deliver as a whole concept, while cohesively allowing her to tell her stories of then and now. It’s poetic and unifying, meaningful and bold, artsy and raw.

“This album is so much about life, New York City, us as people, all the stories I saw growing up,” she previously explained during an interview on the “TODAY” show. “It sounds like the New York that I know. It’s aggressive, it’s raw, it’s me being my most truthful…It is such powerful music.” –Jamie Wexler

Anderson .Paak – Malibu

Yes, Lawd! Funk and soul really came back into the mainstream in 2016, and leading the charge was the extremely talented, eclectic dynamo Anderson .Paak. We can argue if he should even be considered for a R&B music list, but lets skip that unnecessary banter and get right to the music. This man’s sophomore independent project Malibu was exceptionally DOPE and easily one of the standout albums of the year. The multi talented gifted artist will certainly never be boxed in after this year, and nor shall his Malibu project, which boasted such breakthrough cuts as “The Bird,” “The Season/Carry Me,” “Am I Wrong,” and “Room In Here.” –Jamie Wexler

Anthony Hamilton – What I’m Feelin’

Sangin’ that pierces your soul is Anthony Hamilton’s specialty. On the soulful crooner’s fifth album What I’m Feelin‘, he explores a range of grown folks business. Yet, he knows that his melodic messages bear unique interpretation. “We all listen and hear what we hear differently. Share my experience—whatever it is. I’m talking about God, break-ups, make-ups and all that,” he says. Indeed it’s a sonic gumbo of blues, gospel and soul delivered with dedication.

Hamilton’s passion for life is undeniably what he’s feelin’. On the gritty, “Ain’t no Shame” he sings, “They say that life is for the living … I’m only here for the moment and I wanna try it all.” Other standouts include the honest “Walk in My Shoes,” the reverent “Grateful” and the old school infused title track. –Raquelle Harris

Beyoncé – LEMONADE

The epitome of showmanship, Beyoncé attempted to replicate the release strategy she employed for her self-titled 2013 album again with one of the year’s most talked about projects LEMONADE. Starting with her “Formation” single and its powerful imagery, controversy over its apparently anti-police rhetoric didn’t stop “Formation” from taking over radio (or stealing the Super Bowl Halftime Show).

LEMONADE, initially released to the world by way of a short film on HBO, had Beyoncé praising the resilience and defiance of Black women (“Sorry”), warning her lover not to take her for granted (“Don’t Hurt Yourself”), and even crafting an anthem for Black people in general (the Kendrick Lamar-assisted “Freedom”). Each of the ten tracks could exist on its own, but collectively they told a love story, about the good, the bad, the ugly, the redemption, and the reconciliation. But the album’s greatest accomplishment was how it showed Queen Bey could defy classification in any genre – “Daddy Lessons” tiptoed into country music; “Hold Up” had an island groove element not heard from her since 2003’s “Baby Boy;” and collaborations with Jack White (“Don’t Hurt Yourself”) and The Weeknd (“6 Inch Heels”) ventured into rock. –Bradford Howard

BJ The Chicago Kid – In My Mind

Motown Records’ BJ The Chicago Kid had been putting in work on the R&B front for a good minute, but his name perhaps wasn’t known in the mainstream until his appearance on ScHoolboy Q’s 2014 breakout radio single, “Studio.” From that point on, BJ stepped up his momentum and feature appearances; and in 2016, he released his major label debut, In My Mind.

The album instantly became the R&B project that reminds us there’s still room for old-school loving and grooving music amidst contemporary R&B that drips sex with no feeling. Mind you, BJ has needs like the rest of us – look no further than “Love Inside” and “The Resume” – but he also wore his heart on his sleeve rather than bragged about being heartless. Songs like “Woman’s World,” “Heart Crush,” and “Jeremiah/World Needs More Love” all revive that classic Motown sound. –Bradford Howard

Bruno Mars – 24K Magic

Put your pinky rings up to the moon! Bruno Mars gave us an album full of funk this year and it’s near impossible to not listen to 24K Magic on repeat all weekend long. The Hawaiian born and raised singer/songwriter delivered arguably his best album to date after a 4-year wait since his last full LP release. Whether you’re dancing all night long to “Perm,” serenading bae with “Versace on the Floor,” or pining to get your girl back with “Too Good To Say Goodbye,” there’s a song on this album for everyone. Our only complaint is that the album only has 9 songs. We can never get enough of Bruno! –Jamila Wright

dvsn – SEPT. 5TH

The mysterious duo of dvsn – initially identifiable only by a literal “division” symbol – caught everyone’s attention with their initial debut singles “Too Deep” and “The Line.” dvsn’s ability to merge melody and sensual sound, along with an air of mystery, caught the ears of many – including Drake, who promptly moved to sign the group to his OVO imprint.

Though it was snubbed by the Grammys, dvsn’s SEPT. 5TH debut album, released back in April, was easily one of the most refreshing debuts of the year, if not the decade. Thankfully left to their own devices without a Drake feature, producer Nineteen85 and vocalist Daniel Daley added a “Spring Training” period to Cuffing Season. From baby makers that allowed Daley to coach his lover (“Do It Well”); to songs about the arduous but necessary process of love (“Try/Effortless”); to an obvious reference to the ’80s R&B era (“Another One”), SEPT. 5TH had something for everyone… and often left listeners wanting to cuddle up mid-listen. –Bradford Howard

Fantasia – The Definition Of …

2016 has been the year for breaking away from the traditional definitions of music. Fantasia is one of those who broke through with her latest album, The Definition Of …. Balancing confidence, humility and courage, the rock soul siren is a woman who has love and lost, yet she’s still winning. She has long since surpassed her “American Idol” title. Featuring multiple genres from gospel to country, Fanny’s latest has songs that will appeal to music lovers who favor eclectic taste.

With low sales compared to its predecessors The Definition Of … is an underappreciated gem. Tracks such as the racy “Sleeping With the One I Love,” the insightful “Ugly” and the rousing “I Made It,” stand out on a display of bold artistry. –Raquelle Harris

Gallant – Ology

Red Bull Sound Academy alumnus Christopher Gallant initially put many fans onto his talents with his 2014 Zebra EP. After a slight hiatus he returned in 2015 with back-to-back impressive songs, and kicked off 2016 with the smooth Jhene Aiko-assisted “Skipping Stones.”

The foremost weapon in Gallant’s talented arsenal? A falsetto that shakes the spirit whenever it takes over a song. His debut album Ology, released in May as the mainstream follow-up to the Zebra EP, put that falsetto on full display to the world, pairing it with deep metaphorical lyrics and lush instrumentation that ventured into R&B opera at times. It grips listeners from its opening cut “Talking To Myself” and doesn’t let go for 16 tracks that are just as ethereal as their titles imply (“Jupiter,” “Percogesic,” and “Bone & Tissue,” to name a few). –Bradford Howard

John Legend – DARKNESS AND LIGHT

If you let John Legend tell it, there are two sides of his personality that people experience at different times. With his fifth studio album DARKNESS AND LIGHT the singer-songwriter has seamlessly blended both into a full project for the first time in his career. Inspired by the iconic Marvin Gaye album What’s Going On, which carried seductive vibes along with a political weight, Legend re-imagined his sound, along with producer Blake Mills, to a sonically vast project that tows the line of edgy pop-soul and powerful modern blues.

“They say, ‘Sing what you know’ / But I’ve sung what they want,” Legend declares on the opening song. “Some folks do what they’re told / But, baby, this time I won’t.” It’s a coming out or coming into focus project for the crooner, and as cliché as it sounds, his light is blindingly bright. –Jamie Wexler

K. Michelle – More Issues Than Vogue

After nabbing a spot on both our 2013 and 2014 lists for Rebellious Soul and Anybody Wanna Buy A Heart? respectively, K. Michelle’s third album, More Issues Than Vogue, follows in close for 2016. Locking down another successful year filled with tours, positive album sales and a renewed season of her hit VH1 show, “K. Michelle: My Life,” the continued reign of Kimberly Michelle Pate is one that can be hated, but won’t be contested. Filled with lyrical sassiness, realistic heartbreak, and sounds for your late night rendezvous, tracks like “Got Em Like,” “Ain’t You,” “Nightstand,” and “Rich” secured the album under the “press play” category for 2016. –Ni’Kesia Pannell

KING – We Are KING

If travel to parallel galaxies happened like trips to the Caribbean, We Are KING would be the in-flight soundtrack. Comprised of Anita Bias and twin sisters, Amber and Paris Strother, KING creates soundscapes of lush vocals enveloped by dreamy instrumentals. Their debut album is an exquisite rarity that has earned a Grammy nomination for Best Urban Contemporary Album.

Layered synths and pulsating percussion appear throughout the album creating infectious vibes. We Are KING expresses love—platonic and romantic—that makes your soul soar. Beyond love, it embodies awareness of our world. You know you have “The Right One,” as they sing, “People come our way and try to stop our love, but they don’t know that love is what we are.” Slow, hypnotic sounds soothe on “Love Song” and “Carry On,” while the album’s euphoric finale “Native Land,” honors our ancestors’ lessons.

Props from industry heavyweights like Prince, Erykah Badu and ?uestlove is a clear measure of KING’s deserved status among royalty. –Raquelle Harris

Maxwell – blackSUMMERS’night

You gotta dig deep to get Maxwell. The seasoned curator of neo-soul and R&B is a perfectionist, making his sultry aura seem innate. Yet, the seven years it took for him to drop the second installment of his Grammy nominated trilogy, blackSummers’night, is proof of his methodical madness. And it’s a madness that we crave.

Per usual, Maxwell is serving irresistible seduction and sensuality as his silky tenor floats over heavy bass laden ballads and mid-tempo grooves. Glimpses of his previous masterpieces show up throughout the album making it familiar, yet exhilarating. His ability to go next level appears on the stimulating “All the Ways Love Can Feel” and the bouncy “III,” along with the alluring “1990x” and the bold, “Gods.”

Giving us just enough, blackSUMMERS’night has us hot and ready for the climax of this tantric trinity. –Raquelle Harris

NAO – For All We Know

This year brought English singer/songwriter and producer NAO plenty of well-deserved attention due to the release of her debut album For All We Know. Described as “wonky funk” by the emerging star herself, NAO’s album seamlessly merges together funk, R&B, soul and electronic elements that are refreshing to hear in this era of heavily hip-hop influenced R&B music. With songs like “Bad Blood,” “Girlfriend,” and “Inhale Exhale,” the singer’s silky smooth vocals make you feel every emotion while simultaneously making you want to dance like no one’s watching. If you don’t smile while listening to this album, you’re not living life right because NAO proves that if anything, what she’s best at is making music that makes people feel good. –Jamila Wright

Rihanna – ANTI

Rihanna came to slay in 2016 with the release of her long anticipated R8 album, which we all know now to be, ANTI. Serving us one of the biggest songs of the spring and summer, “Work” featuring Drake, the Bajan superstar caught all by surprise with the project’s alternative R&B/pop sound. The songstress created an album with the perfect mix of dance tracks, love ballads, and Bad Gal anthems that resonated strongly with her Navy. Becoming the soundtrack to much of this year, there was no escaping some of the most infectious singles such as “Needed Me,” “Kiss It Better,” and “Love on the Brain.” From start to finish, RiRi’s 8th album showcased not only her versatility and usually overlooked vocals, but a new sound that we’re completely obsessed with. –Jamila Wright

Ro James – ELDORADO

Breakout star, Ro James, delivered his debut album ELDORADO this year and it was filled with some serious gems. The 24-year-old singer’s huge hit, “Permission,” was just a teaser for the amazing crooning James gives us on each song on the album. Taking us on a ride through love, life, drinking and partying, Ro tells a story with each song that makes his debut both parts personal and relatable. Stand out tracks include “Burn Slow,” “Already Knew That,” “Holy Water” and “Everything.” All of which, leave lasting impressions and lyrics that get stuck in your head all day long. Seeing that this is only the beginning for the newly Grammy nominated artist, we can’t wait to see what he has in store for his first headlining tour and 2017. –Jamila Wright

Solange – A Seat at the Table

Success builds in silence, striking when least expected. Solange’s A Seat At the Table came through with a boisterous bang, shaking up 2016 with its empowering mantras and thematic thunder. It’s a black woman’s defiant declaration of all that she holds true for herself, shunning what the mainstream tries to dictate. Ironically, it’s her most commercially successful release to date.

Never a stranger to keepin’ it 100, Solange is simultaneously vulnerable and invincible. Early in the album, she warns you to stay woke on “Weary” as she sings, “Be leery bout your place in the world/ You’re feeling like you’re chasing the world/ You’re leaving not a trace in the world/ But you’re facing the world.” The revealing “Cranes in the Sky,” which has earned Solange a Grammy nomination in the Best R&B Performance category, is another highlight, along with the daunting “Mad” and the whimsical “Borderline (An Ode to Self Care).” Candid interludes featuring Mama Tina, Daddy Knowles and Master P drop gems of resilience and wisdom.

A Seat at the Table has a significant number of guest appearances, but Solange has clearly claimed her spot. –Raquelle Harris

Tank – Sex, Love & Pain II

Though many artists are not equipped to produce a solid sequel to their most popular album, but the self-proclaimed R&B General, Tank, proved that he was more than able to do so. Taking 2016 to drop his follow-up to to 2007’s Grammy-nominated Sex, Love & Pain, the singer-songwriter did more than impress listeners with his current day interpretation of sex, love, and pain. Setting the bar for what 2016 would receive from R&B, Tank’s ability to deliver an album of the same quality given almost a decade ago was nothing less than possible with Sex, Love & Pain II. Featuring strong tracks suck as “F***in Wit Me,” “Relationship Goals,” and the album’s title track, Tank gave us plenty reason to approve the second installment to the critically acclaimed title. –Ni’Kesia Pannell

Tweet – Charlene

Tweet’s re-arrival onto the music scene was one well needed and even more appreciated. Noted as her third major release, the veteran songstress made R&B lovers remember just why we needed both her voice and wordplay back for the long haul. Stacked with the ability to still connect with those who grew up on her music as well as those just being introduced, Tweet’s release of Charlene in Q1 of 2016 was the sweet sounding savior that R&B needed. –Ni’Kesia Pannell

Yuna – Chapters

Malaysian singer-songwriter, Yuna, really broke through in 2016 with her third U.S. album Chapters. The songstress and her lush vocals made R&B heads perk up and pay attention to her blissful sound, which has evolved into a confident representation of change and growth through lessons in love. Yuna found herself and found new success, in part to an A-list feature from Usher on the standout “Crush,” and second stellar duet “Used To Love You” featuring Jhené Aiko. Both cuts are pinnacles on the album, but also fit organically into the cohesive project.

“When I moved to America, I was exposed to R&B producers and hip-hop producers. I was scared to get into it, but now with Chapters, my confidence has grown,” Yuna told ThisisRnB in a recent interview. “I finally found a way to balance between Yuna the singer-songwriter and these hip-hop beats. R&B producers helped me to find my sound and we came up with this amazing album. The first two albums, I was still looking for my sound, with this one, I’ve finally found it.” –Jamie Wexler

Honorable Mentions (Some of these projects don’t exactly fit under the category of contemporary or traditional R&B, but they were some of the best projects of the year as well.)

Childish Gambino – Awaken, My Love!
    Blood Orange – Freetown Sound
    NxWorries – Yes Lawd!
    Terrace Martin – Velvet Portraits
    Usher – Hard II Love
    Frank Ocean – Blonde
    JoJo – MAD LOVE
    Eric Benet – Eric Benet

Readers’ Choice Poll Results (Top 20 R&B Albums of 2016)

01. Usher – Hard II Love
    02. Fantasia – The Definition Of…
    03. Solange – A Seat at the Table
    04. Beyoncé – LEMONADE
    05. Alicia Keys – HERE
    06. Bruno Mars – 24k Magic
    07. Rihanna – ANTI
    08. dvsn – Sept. 5th
    09. The Weeknd – Starboy
    10. Yuna – Chapters
    11. Ro James – Eldorado
    12. Tank – Sex, Love & Pain II
    13. Anderson .Paak – Malibu
    14. Maxwell – blackSUMMERS’night
    15. BJ The Chicago Kid – In My Mind
    16. Gallant – Ology
    17. K. Michelle – More Issues Than Vogue
    18. Frank Ocean – Blonde
    19. Joe – #MyNameisJoeThomas
    20. John Legend – Darkness and Light

Let me know your favorites in the comments section!

OhSheit dapped this.