Best Posts in Thread: Tinder and the other apps can be frustrating!

1. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    One of my straight (Caucasian) friends of 12 years found his current girlfriend on Tinder. They don't have a whole lot in common besides their sense of humor, which is kinda enough. I don't really care for her, she's a smart ass and unnecessarily sarcastic ALL THE TIME but to each his own. Happy for him because he was single for awhile before meeting her.

I say all that to say its possible, granted there is a difference between straight white people and gay black men on the apps.

But to be honest, apps like Tinder and Jack'd are built around superficiality and meaningless conversations. If you do a google search on mainstream websites discussing Tinder, most call it a "hookup app." I think I only met 3 guys on the app over maybe almost 2 years being on it. None of them led to a second date.

But you're young so you may have a different experience. The app blatantly favors younger people over older people by charging people over 30 years old $10 more for the premium features than users 29 and under.

I do think Angela Yee's advice is correct....to a certain extent. While being social and meeting tons of people with low expectations is always good to do, personally I think the lines are far less blurred for straight people than for gays. When men approach women on apps, its clear what the intentions are: sex or dating. On the gay apps, you have people: Looking for social media followers, using the app just as entertainment when bored with no intentions of meeting ppl, catfishing, say they're looking to date but are really just gay friend collectors, etc. Not to mention the whole Top/Bottom compatibility issue that Straights don't have to worry about.

Anyway, I think I'm back to just meeting ppl in person where I can. That's what worked for me back in the early Discreet City days. It wasn't until I hit that apps that I started comparing myself to the nikkas with the model profile pics who never replied back to messages, taking a dent in my overall confidence.

Infinite_loop, I-Stay-Woke, SB3 and 3 others dapped this.
  2. RolandG

Bae Material Squad Leader The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    It's complicated
    Tinder sucks. Period. But i've never been a fan of apps anyway. As @Nick Delmacy said, there are few guys on there who have any intentions of dating or even meeting in person. Angela Yee is definitely on to something. I've registered for an app but not one that is like the norm.

I registered for the Meetup App which is for finding people with shared hobbies or interests. NOT THE MEETUP DATING APP!!!!!. There is a difference. If i want to find cool people that like horror movies, it's easy to find people who want to meet up for a horror movie. If you like hip hop dance, there are groups just for that. Granted, the members are just as likely to be white and straight but i've met two cool friends off there that I meetup with regularly based off of an initial interest in playing tennis. One of them is black and is gay but not flamboyant at all. I would've never met him because he's not on any of the dating apps. Actually, he initiated our first meetup outside of tennis to grab some food and then invited me to a Juneteenth concert yesterday. We just clicked in that way. Not saying anything romantic will come out of it but maybe it could. It was just cool to meet him without any picture games, catfishing, delayed responses, etc. I would encourage people to just try it. It may work for you.

Apollo, Nigerian Prince, Sean P and 2 others dapped this.