'TOXIC BLACK MASCULINITY' WILL BE ADDRESSED IN 'INSECURE' SEASON 3

Discussion in 'Television and Web Series' started by OckyDub, Jun 12, 2018.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married

Co-creator and star of Insecure Issa Rae revealed that Season 3 of the HBO show will address black masculinity.

"I don't want to give anything away," said Rae, who has so far shared little about the much-anticipated return of the hit series just two months from now, in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter on June 7. "I love black masculinity as it relates to black women. I think that's something interesting that we haven't gotten a chance to explore yet—and specifically toxic male black masculinity as it relates to black women. I'm trying to find a way to explore that and get a rounded storyline that isn't preachy."

Rae said the upcoming season will tackle the journey of becoming an adult as well.

"I think we've watched our characters really fumble and fuck up—and in some ways, in your 20s, you are allowed that," Rae said. "This season is about not acting like you're naïve anymore or that you don't know better. So it is about, what does it look like to know better and to do better?"

Issa Rae says 'Insecure' will address black masculinity in Season 3

2. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    My computer is acting up, so I didn't see your post when I updated my status. But you were the first person I thought of when I read her Newsweek interview. I've never seen the show, so I can't judge, but the interview doesn't make me inclined to seek it out. Of course, no one in their right mind endorses toxic behavior of any kind. But as youve stated before, the problem with a lot of feminists isn't TOXIC masculinity as it is masculinity itself. And let's not get started on toxic black female behavior towards gay men, or white feminist hate mongering of trans women (**cough**Joy Reid**cough**cough**Germaine Greer**cough).

I also saw Jay Ellis trying to clap back at brothers who preemptively criticized the show. (*Eyeroll*) Nigga please, your whole career has been nothing but being naked eye candy and side piece roles ("The Game", etc.)

3. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Well, having seen all the episodes. They have made some great points on sexuality and masculinity in the past that I was shocked because I hadn't seen them presented to a Black audience before. Therefore; imma reserve my judgments.

4. machoBLKnerd

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    @Rico below is a 2-min clip from the show that captures how they attempt to engage blk masculinity/sexuality in nuanced ways. i also thought it was clever that the storyline of the show is based on infidelity and, surprisingly, the person who cheated is the girlfriend, not the boyfriend. while i don't love the show, i do appreciate the clear intention to bring a complex storyline around gender, sexuality and race to the screen.

Juan-Carlos, BrentForays, Dante and 3 others dapped this.
  5. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Yeah. I been down with Issa since the youtube days so hopefully she'll be able to define what she's thinks tawksik masklinity is because I'm still trying to get what these folks mean by that.

6. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    ControlledXaos and OckyDub dapped this.
  7. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    August 12th!!!!!

8. takeyourmeds91

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    So you don't think toxic masculinity is a thing?

9. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    I think it's something but I am looking for the tangible answer. My issue is that it's seems like almost everything is "toxic" and there's no gray area.
    If I'm straight and cat calling some chick on the street and she doesn't respond or responds in a way I don't like and I then turn around and insult her that is definitely toxic.

But the people who are labeling things as toxic or hyper masculine never really have a definition of what it entails.

OckyDub dapped this.
  10. takeyourmeds91

The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Oh okay, then yes, I completely agree with you. The whole conversation is hard because it turns into the chicken or the egg, which came first? Are women self-selecting for what's considered a strong, masculine man or are men forcing the idea on women? Either way, it's being perpetuated on both ends and all parties involved need to be held accountable for their shit.

OckyDub dapped this.
  11. Jai

Jai Being strong minded.
    The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Asexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I've seen both seasons and Issa is too cute. I don't dislike the show but it's hardly revolutionary but it is nice with some interesting sex scenes. Big Titty Tasha!!

Sometimes I think people are just trendy tho because I hear things about the topics and sex scenes with black people being like never done before but I remember when Soul Food aired on Showtime and it centered on it.

Toxic Masculinity huh. These days everyone is so hypersensitive, everythang is toxic when someone does something they don't agree with.

Meh, I'm a stubborn midget and I'm more interested in this show she was planning on doing about a bisexual black man. Now that's something I'd like to watch them Hoover over the heads of the black community.

I had recently been wondering if I should make one of my characters gay and I've been observing some of the toxic Masculinity topics and probably try to slide them in my own works maybe.

Either way, I think I'll hold off on any real judgement of S3 until it airs.

I can expect lots of naked Jay Ellis I bet since this is HBO.

I also thought that scene where the guy nutted in her eye was a bit over the top but eh..it's HBO..

Dante and OckyDub dapped this.