Transgender Man Sues ‘Old-School’ Barber For ‘Humiliating’ Discrimination

Discussion in 'LGBT News and Events' started by OckyDub, Mar 31, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Remember when we talked about this previously? Now he is suing. Just an observation, she looks like a female and the barber said they ONLY cut male hair. So is this sexual orientation discrimination or gender discrimination?

A transgender man is suing a Southern California barbershop after an employee identified him as a woman and refused to cut his hair.

Rose Trevis says that she “felt very upset” after a barber at Hawleywood’s Barber Shop refused to make an appointment for a haircut because “we don’t cut women’s hair.” Trevis alleges that a second barber “examined plaintiff from head to toe” and then stated that the shop did not serve women because it is an “old-school barber shop” with the right to refuse service to anyone. When Trevis and his partner Laura Lozano objected to the discriminatory policy, the second barber said, “We don’t care…women are not even allowed in the shop.

Hawleywood’s describes itself as a “men’s sanctuary.” The company website states “You all know how distracting a woman can be and who wants a straight-razor shave with a buxom blonde in the joint?”

The lawsuit states that Trevis felt “ashamed and humiliated” by the incident.

grownman dapped this.
  2. Tyroc

Tyroc Deactivated Account

Daps Received:
    I guess my Yelp! reviews are a waste of my thumb and I should have been suing anytime I felt discrimination.

If s/he were threatened, harassed or physically harmed then I could see making a big deal but when you look like you look and want to be accepted as something outside of the box, then you need to develop thicker skin.

Even before I worked in the courts, I could never wrap my mind around frivolous law suits.

grownman dapped this.
  3. mojoreece

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Hey if he feels like he was wronged than go at it maybe it will help some other trans people. I dont understand why a barbershop would openly refuse business to someone. Most barbers dont make that much money so every head I would think counts. Every barber shop I went to there was at least one female customer and recently ive seen a lot more coming in after doing the big chop or just with natural hair. I guess the barber not about that money. I for one would not want to get cut by someone who has a phobia against me. You not about to f$@* my Steve Harvey afro up lol.

grownman dapped this.