What is "sounding" gay? Is there a Gay Voice?

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by Dante, Nov 19, 2015.

1. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    I am constantly frustrated by the concept of voice. I do think there is a such thing as gay voice but I sometimes cringe when I hear the phrase because it reminds me of my experience growing up and people teasing me for talking white. Which has remained with me even in adulthood. I have a deep clear voice and routinely engage in the "proper" vernacular and use speech patterns that showcase my mastery of the English language and I get that I talk white all the time, but in some circles that translates into talking gay. Particularly, when I am around black stereotypical ghetto women. <---I use this only as a descriptor for purposes of this commentary only. White people often praise my voice as commanding but then offer the unnecessary anecdote of "you speak so well."

I think there is a stereotypical gay voice in which men use and exploit a coded language that emphasizes gay speak and there are voices that are construed as proper which can mean gay or white which is weird and frustrating.

[​IMG]

Discordant dapped this.
  2. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:

Thank you!!! Why is this still a topic of discussion. Whether a muhf@ka naturally developed an effeminate voice or purposely uses one, we all know what the f@#k "Gay" sounds like. smh
    [​IMG]

Cyrus-Brooks and SB3 dapped this.
  3. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Just like we all know what 'sounding gay' is, we all know what 'sounding white' is. Speaking proper English and 'sounding white' are not one in the same.

Like I've alrdy said, I think ppl want too many gray areas. We all know what 'sounding white' means. Why can't everyone just keep it moving while knowing this, instead of trying to always add a 'but', as if every damn thing needs deep discussion?

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  4. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I often argue with people, especially white people that there is no such thing as "ebonics." Black Americans have regional accents just like any other Americans. There is no one black accent.

SB3 dapped this.
  5. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    Exactly. Black Americans have Northern Accents, Southern Accents, Midwestern Accents, regional and ethnic dialects...there really is not reverse to the "Talking White" narrative. I am from West Central Florida, I don't have a southern accent but when I am around people who are from the North they notice that I say things like "Y'all" and people make fun of me for saying "folks."

SB3 and Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.