Why White People Are Afraid...

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by Sean, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Sean

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I came across this article doing some research and it aligns with my thinking as to why white people are generally afraid of black people and generally, anyone considered an outsider. What do yall think?

Why White People Are Afraid

NEWS & POLITICS
    Why White People Are Afraid
    What do white people have to be afraid of in a world structured on white privilege? Their own fears.
    By Robert Jensen / AlterNet
    June 6, 2006
    Print
    COMMENT NOW!

It may seem self-indulgent to talk about the fears of white people in a white-supremacist society. After all, what do white people really have to be afraid of in a world structured on white privilege? It may be self-indulgent, but it's critical to understand because these fears are part of what keeps many white people from confronting ourselves and the system.

The first, and perhaps most crucial, fear is that of facing the fact that some of what we white people have is unearned. It's a truism that we don't really make it on our own; we all have plenty of help to achieve whatever we achieve. That means that some of what we have is the product of the work of others, distributed unevenly across society, over which we may have little or no control individually. No matter how hard we work or how smart we are, we all know -- when we are honest with ourselves -- that we did not get where we are by merit alone. And many white people are afraid of that fact.

A second fear is crasser: White people's fear of losing what we have -- literally the fear of losing things we own if at some point the economic, political, and social systems in which we live become more just and equitable. That fear is not completely irrational; if white privilege -- along with the other kinds of privilege many of us have living in the middle class and above in an imperialist country that dominates much of the rest of the world -- were to evaporate, the distribution of resources in the United States and in the world would change, and that would be a good thing. We would have less. That redistribution of wealth would be fairer and more just. But in a world in which people have become used to affluence and material comfort, that possibility can be scary.

A third fear involves a slightly different scenario -- a world in which non-white people might someday gain the kind of power over whites that whites have long monopolized. One hears this constantly in the conversation about immigration, the lingering fear that somehow "they" (meaning not just Mexican-Americans and Latinos more generally, but any non-white immigrants) are going to keep moving to this country and at some point become the majority demographically.

Even though whites likely can maintain a disproportionate share of wealth, those numbers will eventually translate into political, economic, and cultural power. And then what? Many whites fear that the result won't be a system that is more just, but a system in which white people become the minority and could be treated as whites have long treated non-whites. This is perhaps the deepest fear that lives in the heart of whiteness. It is not really a fear of non-white people. It's a fear of the depravity that lives in our own hearts: Are non-white people capable of doing to us the barbaric things we have done to them?

A final fear has probably always haunted white people but has become more powerful since the society has formally rejected overt racism: The fear of being seen, and seen-through, by non-white people. Virtually every white person I know, including white people fighting for racial justice and including myself, carries some level of racism in our minds and hearts and bodies. In our heads, we can pretend to eliminate it, but most of us know it is there. And because we are all supposed to be appropriately anti-racist, we carry that lingering racism with a new kind of fear: What if non-white people look at us and can see it? What if they can see through us? What if they can look past our anti-racist vocabulary and sense that we still don't really know how to treat them as equals? What if they know about us what we don't dare know about ourselves? What if they can see what we can't even voice?

I work in a large university with a stated commitment to racial justice. All of my faculty colleagues, even the most reactionary, have a stated commitment to racial justice. And yet the fear is palpable.

It is a fear I have struggled with, and I remember the first time I ever articulated that fear in public. I was on a panel with several other professors at the University of Texas discussing race and politics in the O.J. Simpson case. Next to me was an African American professor. I was talking about media; he was talking about the culture's treatment of the sexuality of black men. As we talked, I paid attention to what was happening in me as I sat next to him. I felt uneasy. I had no reason to be uncomfortable around him, but I wasn't completely comfortable. During the question-and-answer period -- I don't remember what question sparked my comment -- I turned to him and said something like, "It's important to talk about what really goes on between black and white people in this country. For instance, why am I feeling afraid of you? I know I have no reason to be afraid, but I am. Why is that?"

My reaction wasn't a crude physical fear, not some remnant of being taught that black men are dangerous (though I have had such reactions to black men on the street in certain circumstances). Instead, I think it was that fear of being seen through by non-white people, especially when we are talking about race. In that particular moment, for a white academic on an O.J. panel, my fear was of being exposed as a fraud or some kind of closet racist.

Even if I thought I knew what I was talking about and was being appropriately anti-racist in my analysis, I was afraid that some lingering trace of racism would show through, and that my black colleague would identify it for all in the room to see. After I publicly recognized the fear, I think I started to let go of some of it. Like anything, it's a struggle. I can see ways in which I have made progress. I can see that in many situations I speak more freely and honestly as I let go of the fear. I make mistakes, but as I become less terrified of making mistakes I find that I can trust my instincts more and be more open to critique when my instincts are wrong.

Robert Jensen is a journalism professor at the University of Texas at Austin. He is the author of, most recently, The Heart of Whiteness:Â Confronting Race, Racism and White Privilege (City Lights Books), from which this essay is excerpted.

mojoreece dapped this.
  2. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Very interesting. As I am not a member of the middle class any longer, none of this applies to me! Right? No? :troll:

Anyway, we all have lingering things in us. You cannot be raised in this society and be completely perfect. Even if it does not involve thoughts, it involves feelings-involuntary things. It is best like this guy said to recognize the feelings and then you can deal with them.

I think it is similar to being gay and being raised in an anti-gay society-you have to unlearn your own homophobia. Especially being older, I had to really unlearn that. I was uncomfortable seeing men dance, kiss, etc. around me when I first went out to a gay bar. I could barely look. Much of it is conditioning and you have to un-condition yourself-reprogram yourself. To do this you have to realize you have been programmed and conditioned to begin with. It is the same with race for white people.

I think whites are afraid of losing something. Think of it in a larger sense- how would you feel if things were not just 'made equal' in a national sense(with whites generally losing)...how would you feel about 'making things equal' in a Worldwide sense(nearly all of us would be on the losing end). We are 4% of the population of the World. Imagine how much we would lose. It would be fair and egalitarian, right? But how comfortable would you be giving up your "American Privilege"? Yeah whites don't want to lose a lot. Especially since most whites do not have the money-the elite whites(the 2%) have most of it. Get things equal among whites, and then see how many whites would feel about a more general equality-this is not mentioned. Personal wealth is a very touchy subject. But yeah, I am all about equality-not just regarding race, but regarding all parts of economic inequality. Racism and the legacy of racism is just a part of that problem.

And yeah, I wonder how I am seen-if I am seen as some fake SJW or something. But I can't really control what other people think of me-trying to learn to live closer to my sig.

And I do think that whites fear 'losing control'. Let's face it: if you look at whites and the history of whites, we are not exactly the nicest most forgiving group. I think we project things and our fears onto other groups. Frankly I think if I were black I might very well despise white people- other minority groups and people of color actually seem more forgiving to me than whites . JMHO.

These things are difficult to talk about but the conversations must be had. Yes, it makes me uncomfortable a bit responding to this article and post. But I am working on it and it will always be a work in progress. At least we have some other commonalities though as a base.

And I was raised as a kid in a time when there were numerous urban riots and these riots were a big change for adults at the time-blacks were not the victims and it shook white people and there was fear. I think the biggest thing I picked up subconsciously growing up was 'don't upset the black people'. As if blacks were really kind of very angry with whites and don't upset them-especially black men. Not hate, but sort a sort of fear. Things are better, but tensions rise( it is necessary for progress I have come to believe) and these things linger and carry over through generations. I hope that right now we are in a one step back phase, and we will enter a two step forward phase.

And I have not exactly had a huge amount of dealing with black men, especially straight black men, but black men are one group that has actually never done anything bad to me at all.

*I do wonder why I am the only white gay guy who participates on here and what other people, both black and lurking white, must think. And then I just think 'Oh well if they want me to leave they are grown ups and can speak up-I have made that clear several times' and wonder why I assume the worst of things sometimes(a fault of mine) and just go on about things.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    TL/DR: I basically agree with the article.

Sean and grownman dapped this.
  3. Sean

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    @ColumbusGuy I certainly appreciate your candor and willingness to respond. I'm not sure how many other white people are on here, but I can also appreciate your participation on these forums and the perspective you share, one that we may not otherwise be exposed to.

ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  4. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Thank you for that. I appreciate being able to participate here(I think I may participate too much and need to just read more, post less though).

There is much to learn here for many people, including white gays. Partly because of the way the site is run and also by the decorum of the posters on here. If nothing else, those two things should stand out to anyone who is at all familiar with any site dealing with any gays.

5. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Why doesn't anyone else respond to these difficult threads? is it the topic? My responding? Did 'y'all' just mean Y'all?

*crickets* *tumbleweed blows by*