You Need More Free Time - by New York Times

Discussion in 'Career, Work, Finances and Education' started by Infinite_loop, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Infinite_loop

Infinite_loop Is this thing on?
    Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    As part of my night routine to skim through my read-it-later app for articles I saved throughout the day, I found this gem. An interesting perspective given here and I mostly agree. Thoughts?

Original Article:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/10/opinion/sunday/you-dont-need-more-free-time.html?_r=1

You Don’t Need More Free Time

Gray Matter

By CRISTOBAL YOUNG JAN. 8, 2016

AMERICANS work some of the longest hours in the Western world, and many struggle to achieve a healthy balance between work and life. As a result, there is an understandable tendency to assume that the problem we face is one of quantity: We simply do not have enough free time. “If I could just get a few more hours off work each week,” you might think, “I would be happier.”

This may be true. But the situation, I believe, is more complicated than that. As I discovered in a study that I published with my colleague Chaeyoon Lim in the journal Sociological Science, it’s not just that we have a shortage of free time; it’s also that our free time, in order to be satisfying, often must align with that of our friends and loved ones. We face a problem, in other words, of coordination. Work-life balance is not something that you can solve on your own.

Our study, which drew on data from more than 500,000 respondents to the Gallup Daily Poll, examined the day-to-day fluctuations and patterns in people’s emotions, week after week. Two facts about emotional well-being emerged — one that was intuitive, the other surprising.

The intuitive finding was that people’s feelings of well-being closely tracked the workweek. As measured by things such as anxiety, stress, laughter and enjoyment, our well-being is lowest Monday through Thursday. The workweek is a slog. Well-being edges up on Friday, and really peaks on Saturday and Sunday. We are, in a real sense, living for the weekend.

The surprising finding was that this is also true of unemployed people. We found that the jobless showed almost exactly the same day-to-day pattern in emotional well-being as working people did. Their positive emotions soared on the weekend, and dropped back down again on Monday.

It seems obvious why working people cherish the weekend: It’s a respite from work. But why is the weekend also so important to the unemployed?

The key to answering this question is to recognize that not all time is equal. Time is, in many ways, what sociologists call a “network good.”

Network goods are things that derive their value from being widely shared. Take your computer: Its value depends in large measure on how many other people also have a computer. This is because you use your computer as, among other things, a communication technology: for Internet access, email, Facebook and file sharing. When everyone you know has a computer, the technology is indispensable. But if you were the only person with a computer, its value would be limited.

Free time is also a network good. The weekend derives much of its importance from the fact that so many people are off work together.

To help demonstrate this, my colleague and I conducted a second study, this time using the American Time Use Survey, which tracks how much time people spend doing various activities. We found that the weekly cycle in well-being from our previous study was mirrored in the pattern of time that people spent with family and friends — which was roughly double on weekends what it was during the week. According to our calculations, this increase of social time on the weekend accounted for roughly half the spike in weekend well-being.

Again, this was the same for the jobless. Monday to Friday offers five days when the unemployed are off work by themselves, searching job ads, doing household chores and so on. While the jobless have “free time” during the week, their friends and family still have to go to work. The weekend is when the jobless fall back into sync with society.

The weekend, then, is not just a respite from work, but also gives similar relief from unemployment. It is a time when people can get what they’ve been missing: time together.

This conclusion points to a key feature of the work-life problem: You cannot get more “weekend” simply by taking an extra day off work yourself. If we were to take more time off as individuals, we would be likely to spend that time, as the jobless do, waiting for other people to finish work. We are stuck “at work,” in a sense, by the work schedules of our family and friends.

Over the past few years, many workplaces have looked for ways to create more flexibility in individual work schedules. There is no question that doing so has many benefits. But my research suggests that a disadvantage of these efforts is that they may lead us even further from a weekend-like system of coordinated social time. They threaten, ultimately, to exacerbate the decline in civic engagement and social contact known as the “bowling alone” problem.

The solution might be found in a form of constraint: more standardization of the time for work and the time for life.

• Cristobal Young is an assistant professor of sociology at Stanford University.

2. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I think many people in the USA are over worked. The 8 hour work day is quickly becoming a thing of the past. Many people I know work overtime either voluntarily for monetary reasons(which isn't truly voluntarily when you think about it), or because the workplace coerces them to put in extra hours. Some people have to work 2 or 3 jobs just to get by.

Nigerian Prince and grownman dapped this.
  3. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    Horrible work-life balance is the primary reason why I left the legal field and law school on the same day. I was working as a paralegal for a medium sized disability law firm and attending law school. The firm was prosperous, everyone enjoyed decent salaries, outstanding benefits, profit sharing etc. But all of that came at a huge price. I worked 50-60 hours per week, studied for another 20 hours that I became miserably depressed. After a while, I discovered that the managing partners and associates attorneys were even more miserable than me. Despite having money or the options of going on luxury vacations (which were never actual vacations because we still worked) I finally discovered that it never ended. One day, I got so fed up that I typed my resignation letter turned it into my boss and walked out. That same day, I unenrolled from law school and never looked back.

The current status of our work life in America is ridiculous, people only work to pay bills, working longer hours for shittier salaries and with no benefits.

My current job requires that I work longer hours sometimes but it is work that I love but at the end of the day, I recognize that my job/profession is just that, a job. It is not my life. People around the world get that, that is something we need to start recognizing in America.

#3 BlackguyExecutive, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  4. grownman

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I can relate-currently work 12 hrs OVERNIGHT 3-4X a week. Not healthy. It's definitely a job and not a career. Also, in school now to figure out where the hell I want to go next.

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  5. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Yeah. The 8-hour/40-hour work week reality has shifted drastically. And with the hustle of maintaining a livelihood and to get by, that's not going to change anytime soon. It's a blessing to make a minimum of $40,000 a year (which is still not enough), with or without a college degree. Some people have no choice but to work 2 or 3 jobs just to make that much. And that has to really change.

Being currently unemployed (volunteering only two days a week for a few hours to avoid an employment gap and job searching two days of the week for a few hours), the rest of the time (sleeping, jerking off, watching tv, running errands, etc.) I've had through the past month is the most free time I've had since August-2003 to April 2004 when I was last unemployed. I'm loving it on that end. I can actually breathe a little bit. You can become a machine when you are employed. And if the "Keep Going" switch doesn't come off, that can be dangerous and can take away from some of the time you have on Earth.

For me, no matter what career field/job/profession you are in, you have to create a pathway in your life to make personal time for yourself. There is a such thing as work, but there is a such thing as a personal life. You owe it to yourself and your life in general.

grownman dapped this.
  6. BlackguyExecutive

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    Come join the Foreign Service. See my post I wrote a little while back - International Relations and the Foreign Service

grownman dapped this.
  7. Dante

Dante https://www.gofundme.com/qv7v5dw
    The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    Interesting. I just went through the tread. I will look into it. For the past 10 years I've been in Higher Education on the Administrative side (Student Affairs). I'm still aiming for that; however, anything is possible. THANK YOU SIR!

grownman dapped this.
  8. alton

Squad Leader The Great Debater The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    "One day, I got so fed up that I typed my resignation letter turned it into my boss and walked out. That same day, I unenrolled from law school and never looked back." LOL!!!!
    [​IMG]

Nah, but it's very true, dude. We (most of us) are working LITERALLY just to give our paychecks away to Rent & Utilities, then scrape together some food and wash clothes, maaaybe a cut or line up, with whats left over. It's frustratin' to get paid a nice salary and then be left with next to nothing come payday. Made even more so if you hate your job. Luckily, I like what I do.

BlackguyExecutive dapped this.
  9. BlackguyExecutive

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    It was sorta that dramatic. I was like can no longer do this anymore. Please consider this my 2 week notice. The managing partner just stared at me and did tried to bargain and I was like No Ma'am.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  10. Infinite_loop

Infinite_loop Is this thing on?
    Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    SGL
    I guess I can consider myself lucky since my industry(tech) has better work-life balance, relatively to other industries like consulting or law. I usually leave the office by 5pm and by that time, the parking lot is relatively empty and I am one of the last people to leave. Most of the time, software development is simply all about how much code did you push to Github today? and that sort of thing(Product vs how long were you at work). If you invest in your skills and learn good time management, you can work 30 hours/week of productive work and 10 hours of administrative stuff and meetings. Of course, there is crunch time during those busy release seasons( March and August) where you have to put an extra effort, but otherwise 40-45 hours/week of "work" is normal. With broadband internet, fast processors and the cloud, you can work anywhere anytime(there's a catch here since sometimes, you can't really "unplug" from work, but if you set expectations with your manager upfront, you can work around this constraint)

HOWEVER, Amazon is a different work culture beast. Just stay away from that place! lol

What I've found out is that those people who "work overtime" and "60-80 hours" a week at my job, and are wearing it like a badge of honor, usually take a 1h30 lunch, browse Quora/Reddit half the day, and distract everybody else by chit-chatting during quiet/crunch time hours( usually 8am-12pm). OR, they absolutely have no idea what they are doing and spend 3 days of work chasing a really simple bug in their code when they could've just asked a senior engineer to help them and solve it in 10 minutes.

11. Tyroc

Tyroc Deactivated Account

Daps Received:
    Life is too short.
    Extra time off only adds to the quality of my life.
    Leaving early at lunch tomorrow to come home and do a load of laundry, spend time with the dog, take a nap and get back up to head to the city and go to the movies and dinner.