WATCH: Gay Rapper “Cakes Da Killer” in Hot 97 Radio Interview
Focusing on the hip hop side of this story, its great to see that so many men are stepping out into the world of rap music. As I’ve mentioned before, when I first started learning about gay culture and the gay scene, there were only a handful of successful rappers in the game. Even then, most of them received very little attention from mainstream heterosexual media.
Now we have artists like Le1f, Fly Young Red, The Freaky Boyz and Cakes Da Killa performing on The Late Show with David Letterman and being interviewed on mainstream radio programs like The Breakfast Club and Hot 97 Radio.
Thanks to Queerty for the heads up, here’s a recent interview with Cakes Da Killa, an artist who’s been building his fan-base since his debut in 2011.
I’m not a big fan of Cakes as a rapper, mainly because of the Lil Kim/Nicki Minaj content and not the fact that he’s effeminate, but I still think he’s very talented at what he does. As evidenced at the end of this video, he can spit hot fire!
Much of his content is sex-related so it’s not surprising that this interview quickly devolves into discussing gay and lesbian sex instead of rap music. its still great that gay rappers are getting the opportunity to perform on a larger stage!
NOTES AND OBSERVATIONS:
• At the 15:00 mark, Cakes Da Killa is brilliantly challenged and defeated on being feminine and into “girlie” things.
• The Heterosexual interviewers seem to think that Cakes is the only gay rapper out with talent who’s very comfortable with his/her sexuality.
• Cakes Da Killa came out at only 8 years old after his mother found a note from a fellow young gay male friend.
• Straight Men seem to think all gay people want to hook up with each other.
•Cakes Da Killa has some serious skills on the mic.
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite celebrities!