Black Guys...What We Do

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by OckyDub, Feb 24, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Agree, disagree?

[​IMG]

mojoreece, Mendizi, Jdudre and 4 others dapped this.
  2. Sage

Sage Squad Member

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    Seems about right. We do all of those things as renaissance men. I've seen the racist version of this meme that is far from flattering. I recall one of the panels said "What we know they do" and featured brothas f*cking.

Cyrus-Brooks and SB3 dapped this.
  3. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    The 'what our white friends think we do'...not really. Can't speak on the others. Ok maybe the society one somewhat. I have heard the term 'Basketball Americans' used I will admit.

Mendizi and BlackOnyx1 dapped this.
  4. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    cpnoway:beli:

Cyrus-Brooks and ControlledXaos dapped this.
  5. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    'What the govt thinks we do'

Cyrus-Brooks and ControlledXaos dapped this.
  6. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Yeah...it is sad how many negative terms there are for blacks in this nation. Just being white and being around whites and blending in...people just sort of think you are one of them and think like them and you end up hearing crazy stuff. You did not know that was a term used? I have heard it in this shit hole place I live now(I am actually in exile outside of Columbus now, not in town anymore and this place is a redneck hell).

There are all kinds of 'code words' that whites use to refer to blacks, besides just 'Canadian' and stuff.

#6 ColumbusGuy, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  7. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Reminds me of the Successful Black Man meme. meme-615x627.png

People really don't realize now diverse we really are because most other cultures get their images about us from the news, sports, and TV. None of which are full visibility of who we are.

DreG, Mendizi, LeMignon and 4 others dapped this.
  8. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I agree. I think the meme is pretty accurate. Unfortunately there is no shortage of racist stereotypes about black men. I can't tell you how many times people assume that I'm great at basketball or other sports based on what I look like. People, especially white people tend to make all sorts of assumptions about me based on black stereotypes.

9. SB3

Daps Received:
    When white ppl say 'yo' in an attempt at addressing me 'more black-ish'...

DreG, ColumbusGuy and Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  10. Cyrus-Brooks

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I thought I was the only one annoyed by this. I hate when white people try to speak to me using black slang. I've told them on a few occasions to talk to me like a human being and stop trying to relate to me.

DreG, Sage, SB3 and 1 other person dapped this.
  11. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Yo @SB3 @Cyrus-Brooks ...(just kidding) ..and anyone else who cares to respond...Has anyone white made the mistake of saying anything like, "My n_ _ _ a"? (I hope not) in front of you? I have heard stupid white kids say that to each other-but never in front of anyone black. I don't think they realize how ridiculous they look when they do that stuff.

I just want to know what black gay guys (or any blacks) would do if they heard that. Would you respond differently to a white kid vs a white adult using it?

Also what about 'SGL'..same gender loving...since that was basically coined for blacks who did not want to use 'gay' as part of the 'mainstream' is that a term that only blacks should use? I thought it seemed like a good term and did not realize the origins of it until recently. Some words or terms like this are not so obviously wrong for whites to use as some others.

*I still am unsure about 'black' or 'African American'-I have been corrected by blacks on both. I tend to use 'black' because everyone else uses 'white' and not 'European American'...plus not all blacks here identify as 'American'.

I have actually only heard 'Basketball Americans' only once IRL, but you don't have to look far on youtube comments, or many news outlet comments to see that and worse. One of the main reasons I try to avoid comment sections.

12. SB3

Daps Received:
    Never got 'basketball americans', smh. I had an Italian boss once who said 'nigga' in front of me. I personally didn't sweat it because I literally knew a bunch of his blk friends. And Brooklyn Italians are the white hoodrats.

I've never used SGL. Sounds ridiculous to me.

I use black. Both African American and SGL sound waaay too forced and 'pc'. One thing I'm emphatically NOT, is 'pc'.

13. SB3

Daps Received:
    It's one of my biggest pet peeves. Once again, white privilege popping up. Get to know some damn black people!

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  14. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I only heard that term once IRL...and it was from a group of people at, of all things, a Special Olympics event-from the crowd(parents, relative, etc) in this shithole rural county I am stuck in. smh.

I happened to stumble across something online about 'SGL' and I did not know from where it originated -until today. 'PC' stuff just goes way too far IMO. It just goes from sensible to stifling and overbearing.

I just speak IRL and pretty much in person the same, pretty much like I am on here. I mostly just want to be clear and understood and not come off as stupid. I do fall into using words like 'y'all', 'redd up',etc., but that is cultural and it just comes out at times. I don't want to sound like some bumpkin who just fell off the turnip truck-which is how some of them sound around here where I live right now. I also tend not to use much gay slang unless I am joking. I just don't because it does not come natural to me I guess.

I do get told I talk to much-don't know when to shut up...but I don't get it???:yeshrug:

Of course I think being older I was raised a bit differently. We had to wear coats and ties to go to the main library, out to a restaurant, go on an airliner, etc. when I was a kid and we knew to address adults and strangers politely-if we didn't we could get the belt.

Yeah you and Cyrus-Brooks do not come across as the 'PC' types.

* shit I wish I had been tall enough and coordinated enough to play basketball.

Sage and SB3 dapped this.
  15. Cyrus-Brooks

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship

No I haven't had any experiences with a white person addressing me as "my n***a." I let it be known that something like that doesn't fly with me, and most have enough sense not to even attempt it. Also I make no distinctions between white kids and white adults when it comes to the N-word. They should have enough sense to know that kind of talk is unacceptable. Some black people think it's OK for their white friends who are "down" to use it. I'm not one of them. I also don't like non black Latinos using it either. That's why I make it a point to only use that term only around other black people and even then I try to use it sparingly. I agree with @SB3 thoughts on the term SGL. I understand why that term was created but it just seems clunky to me, just like the non-hetero alphabet soup you see used nowadays LGBTQXYZABC. I use both black and African to describe black people or people with African ancestry no matter what country they live in or ethnicity they may also identify example Afro-Cuban, Afro-Latino, Afro-Brazilian, Afro-Caribbean, African American, black American, black British, black French etc. I've never heard the term "basketball Americans" but I'm not surprised by it. Like I said before there is no shortage of ways used to demean and dehumanize black people in general and black men especially.

SB3 and ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  16. SB3

Daps Received:
    @Cyrus-Brooks is the resident pit bull...im just a chocolate lab who speaks

DreG and Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  17. Cyrus-Brooks

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Lol. The thing about Pit Bulls is they're actually friendly dogs. They become mean when they are mistreated. People are the same way.

43e944bdf42c15627bbb553de5fd217d.jpg

Tyroc, ControlledXaos, SB3 and 1 other person dapped this.
  18. Sage

Sage Squad Member

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I have not heard "basketball American" before this conversation, but I'm certain that someone is using it to demean someone else. The irony is that I might use that term to describe a person who loves to ball. They wake up thinking about being on the court, spend as much time as possible on the court and are mad and/or sad when they must leave the court. Like the basketball equivalent of a gym rat. I'd probably use it as an inside joke and a term of endearment for a friend.

Haven't had to deal with "nikka" but I did have to check a Philipino guy once. He felt the need to give himself a pass for "ni**a" as opposed to "ni**er" because, you know, that a versus er thing makes all of the difference. His world almost changed for the worse that day.

19. Champagne Papi

Champagne Papi is a Featured MemberChampagne Papi side-n*gga paralegal
    Most Comedic Player The 1000 Daps Club Best Gifs

Daps Received:
    What a quality meme, Lol

20. Sean

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    These seem categorically accurate to me. @ColumbusGuy, I've never had a White person slip up and say anything to me, but while attending a reception in London, a woman was telling a story and referred to a certain group of people as "wetbacks" more than once. In the company of members of Parliament and Lords, I politely informed all of them that the term was derogatory and explained its origin.

I was taken aback when I heard the woman use the word, to say the least. She said it at least twice and I just started laughing on the inside after I'd heard it again. Lol. It just rolled off her tongue with such ease, and no one thought anything of it. It was insulting as fuck, being an American, and black at that. But as Donald Glover said, there are things about racism that can be so funny. And this was one of those moments.

Tyroc, ControlledXaos and OckyDub dapped this.
  21. Mendizi

Mendizi Squad Member

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I remember when I was at college, I was told by a tutor that I was going to fail my course and that I should not go on to the advanced course. He said to me that I should choose something else. I was actually shocked by this but then realised he actually had a stereotype of what a black person was. After going through a few suggestions i.e. music and fashion, I said sport. And he replied "Yes, that's what you people are good at".

I am totally bad at sport though lol! Needless to say I actually aced the course that I was doing and was doing very well until this idiot made this comment.

Tyroc, ControlledXaos and DreG dapped this.
  22. Omega Level

Omega Level DRACARYS
    The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    Single
    I have a question that could be loaded and just very different to one person over another depending on who you ask.

Isn't there a difference between race, ethnicity, and nationality?

I never quite understood the term "african american" because if a white person was born in Africa and became an american citizen, aren't they literally "AFRICAN AMERICAN". And also some Puerto Ricans and Dominicans saying that that is their race, but isn't it in fact just their NATIONALITY? (the place they were born?)

Also -

• Whats the difference between Latino and Hispanic?
    • When you say "Afro-Brazilian", thats a black person from Brazil I guess. So white brazil would be "white-brazilan"? and what would the brazilian person race be if Brazil is just their nationality?

Yea, I know it can get to the point where its all semantics, but its always intrigued me. Most people never think too deep about it I guess.

Like if I was born in Rome as a black man and came to America people might laugh when I say I'm Italian. I guess I'm black italian. And if thats the case, we should do away with "African American" cause that wouldn't be just someone with black skin. (I'm crossed eyed now and got a headache) LOL.

SB3 and Tyroc dapped this.