College football player visits elementary school, has lunch with boy with autism

Discussion in 'Sports and Athletes' started by OckyDub, Aug 31, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]
    TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Florida State University wide receiver Travis Rudolph and other FSU players visited a Tallahassee middle school and the star athlete saw a young student sitting by himself.

Sixth-grader Bo Paske has autism and often eats by himself, his mother, Leah Paske, said in a Facebook post.

A photo posted by Paske on the social media site shows Rudolph joined the student for lunch.

"He is a super sweet child, who always has a smile and hug for everyone he meets," Paske wrote in the Facebook post.

"I'm not sure what exactly made this incredibly kind man share a lunch table with my son, but I'm happy to say that it will not soon be forgotten," Paske wrote. "This is one day I didn't have to worry if my sweet boy ate lunch alone, because he sat across from someone who is a hero in many eyes."

She was grateful of Rudolph’s kindness.

"Travis Rudolph thank you so much, you made this momma exceedingly happy, and have made us fans for life." she said.

Full FB Post:
    "Several times lately I have tried to remember my time in middle school, did I like all my teachers, do I even remember them? Did I have many friends? Did I sit with anyone at lunch? Just how mean were kids really? I remember one kid on the bus called me "Tammy Fay Baker" bc I started awkwardly wearing eye liner in the sixth grade, I remember being tough and calling him a silly name back, but when he couldn't see me anymore I cried. I do remember middle school being scary, and hard. Now that I have a child starting middle school, I have feelings of anxiety for him, and they can be overwhelming if I let them. Sometimes I'm grateful for his autism. That may sound like a terrible thing to say, but in some ways I think, I hope, it shields him. He doesn't seem to notice when people stare at him when he flaps his hands. He doesn't seem to notice that he doesn't get invited to birthday parties anymore. And he doesn't seem to mind if he eats lunch alone. It's one of my daily questions for him. Was there a time today you felt sad? Who did you eat lunch with today? Sometimes the answer is a classmate, but most days it's nobody. Those are the days I feel sad for him, but he doesn't seem to mind. He is a super sweet child, who always has a smile and hug for everyone he meets. A friend of mine sent this beautiful picture to me today and when I saw it with the caption "Travis Rudolph is eating lunch with your son" I replied "who is that?" He said "FSU football player", then I had tears streaming down my face. Travis Rudolph, a wide receiver at Florida State, and several other FSU players visited my sons school today. I'm not sure what exactly made this incredibly kind man share a lunch table with my son, but I'm happy to say that it will not soon be forgotten. This is one day I didn't have to worry if my sweet boy ate lunch alone, because he sat across from someone who is a hero in many eyes. Travis Rudolph thank you so much, you made this momma exceedingly happy, and have made us fans for life! #travisrudolph#gonoles #FSU #autismmom #fansforlife"

College football player visits elementary school, has lunch with boy with autism

Winston Smith, Nigerian Prince and SB3 dapped this.
  2. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
  3. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
  4. Fanon

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    That was very thoughtful of him.

5. Sean

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I got teary toward the end

SB3 dapped this.
  6. SB3

SB3 is a Featured MemberSB3
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Im a softy for stuff like this. I vividly remember how cruel some kids were to other kids in school. Im really glad that dude did this.

Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  7. jusrawb

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    That's dope, there needs to be more stuff like this in the media

SB3 dapped this.
  8. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    This is very nice, but I would never have done this without getting info on the kid first. I know this sounds bad, but I have worked with autistic teens before and you just do not know when it comes to autism, what the reactions may be. Each kid with autism is unique in their autism. I have had a teen with autism go from quiet and fine and then turn on me and attack me just. like. that.

I would have asked someone first something like 'Why does he sit alone? Would it be ok to sit with him? I know the player acted out of kindness and I am glad it worked out ok of course and it was a nice natural gesture of human kindness so good for both of them.

*maybe he did ask and that is not part of the story? I don't know-but glad it all was good.

9. SB3

Daps Received:
    Yea, I was gonna say, 'who knows how much info he had?' Hell, it couldve been a PR stunt for all we know. But, the fact that he's in a traditional school is most likely a reflection of his behavioral characteristics.

I just appreciate humanistic kindness stories. Im an angry, ridiculous nyc person 99% of the time, but I love shyt like this.

I remember in 7th grade, this unpopular, extremely overweight girl was having a bday party, n I said I'd go when she gave me an invitation in school (on the record, I was nice to everyone). My mom heard me on the phone saying I said I'd go, but backing out because none of my friends were going, and she MADE me go to this girls party! I ended up having a good time w some of the less popular, but nice kids.

Nigerian Prince and ColumbusGuy dapped this.
  10. BlackguyExecutive

BlackguyExecutive Je suis diplomate
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG]

I normally keep my CA musings to myself but I actually shared this posting with my husband, who is a social worker by profession who primarily worked with persons with disabilities. I am always amazed at how he connects with disabled people, he always tells me that such small random acts of kindness can change a disabled person day, week, month, or even year. Beautiful story.

Nigerian Prince and SB3 dapped this.
  11. SB3

Daps Received:
    Thats dope man. I, like many of us, have disabled loved ones. It takes a strong, kind spirited person to deal w the disabled (physically or mentally) and you just hope they're being treated w kindness and respect. Kudos to ur husband.

Nigerian Prince dapped this.
  12. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Damn, and I get nothing. lol. Is that because everyone knows that I am really an @sshole? Uh...nevermind.
    :franko1:

BlackguyExecutive and SB3 dapped this.
  13. SB3

Daps Received:
    Kudos to u too man! Working w special needs ppl is no easy task, and I take my hat off to you.

14. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I was just joking. I know I am an @sshole on here lol.

15. SB3

Daps Received:
    You're really not.

16. ColumbusGuy

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I can be at times though g@ddamit so fuk you and fuk your opinion!

:bronbad:

*just ask our esteemed board founders lol. Nick basically said I was like a BGC troll!
    :sucka:
    though I was kinda trolling him a little bit....