Holler if you hear me

Discussion in 'Television and Web Series' started by jusrawb, Dec 29, 2015.

1. jusrawb

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    http://www.bet.com/video/celebrity//holler-if-you-hear-me/part-one.html

Have you seen this documentary? Unfortunate BET didn't air it on tv but you can watch on the website. I was born and raised in the church, mom and grandma are pastors. Christianity was my biggest reason of not coming out earlier. After doing research and soul searching I no longer practice Christianity. I want to know do any of you practice religion and if so which one and why?

mojoreece dapped this.
  2. Nigerian Prince

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I liked this documentary a lot.

I do believe in God but I am not necessarily a religious person. I do believe in a higher being and for me that is God. Religion is nothing more than a man-made construct. It is all of the rules and regulations. I think quite a few Christians pick and choose what they desire to follow. Then they go ahead and make homosexuality the #1 sin when all sins are equal. Then it brings up that discussion of well... is homosexuality a sin? What do you think?

grownman and NickAuzenneNOLA dapped this.
  3. Jaa

Jaa
    The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    @jusrawb

There was actually a thread about this in early November, though some may have missed it and this will bring the documentary to their attention. I'll post a link below. That discussion seemed to mostly feature talk of people abandoning religion while you are asking who's practicing. This could go in a similar direction. I posted there about how I was raised in the Catholic Church but stopped practicing altogether after leaving for college, partially because I disturbed by their stance on homosexuality but mostly because I generally felt out of sync with organized religion and its purpose. I was also bothered by its use as justification to attack others.

Holler If You Hear Me: Black and Gay in the Church

4. Cyrus-Brooks

Cyrus-Brooks is a Featured MemberCyrus-Brooks The Black Vulcan
    Squad Leader Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I saw it and was unimpressed. I was raised in the Baptist Church but I'm no longer a believer. I've been an atheist for 12 years now. What caused me to become an atheist was realising that all religions are different versions of the same falsehood. They're divisive, destructive, bring out the worst aspects human beings. They promote stupidity and cruelty. I've come to despise them all especially the Abrahamic religions. The monotheistic faiths are the worst when it comes to this. The issue of human sexuality, homosexuality in particular are perfect example of why I have a visceral hatred organized religion.

Jaa dapped this.
  5. NickAuzenneNOLA

The Great Debater The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dating:
    Single
    I was born Catholic, went on briefly to a COGIC church when I was 21 and upon realizing the highly sexist/contradictory environment decided to not subscribe to any denomination. I agree with Cyrus, religions are dangerous, judgemental, dehumanizing and violent in many ways. Where I don't agree is having absolutely no relationship to God or a higher source. I do think that's important to your own daily self-realization. I understand why most are disenchanted with religion however. I go to an inclusive nondenominational church currently.

mojoreece dapped this.
  6. Cyrus-Brooks

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I don't have a "relationship with god" because I don't believe there is a god. There is no scientific or historical evidence to point the existence of any god or gods. Quite the opposite god is conspicuous by his absence. But even if I thought there was a god I wouldn't worship it. Why does an omnipotent, eternal being require worship? Given the history of what has happened to black people in this country and worldwide the god that allows such things to happen isn't worthy of my worship.

7. grownman

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I tried to watch it last night but it was removed. I grew up Pentecostal(the worst of the worst) No, I don't practice a religion but I can appreciate different aspects of some.

Cyrus-Brooks dapped this.
  8. Cyrus-Brooks

Daps Received:
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Pentecostal, yikes! The fire and brimstone denomination. I've had the displeasure of meeting some Pentecostal people they make Baptists look like Catholic school boys.

grownman dapped this.