Is it "Gay" for Men to Take Selfies?

Discussion in 'Group Discussions' started by ControlledXaos, Oct 6, 2015.

1. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Ok.... So I have read and heard without prompting that basically it's unmanly for grown men to take selfies. This seems to even include men who take them with other men. However group photos are okay, but expending a phone/camera with an arm to take a photo is now step towards "sissy."

This came from listening to the Rickey Smiley show this morning. Rickey seemed to really be upset with this practice. It's not the first time I have heard people mention it. I have never thought it was a big deal. I just have started taking photos in the past few years myself. There a good period between of at least 10 years where I took less than 10 photos.

But Selfies are now gay? Opinions please.

2. bpaisle

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:

Mmmm I don't think selfies are gay. I wasn't even aware that selfies were considered gay to some people. I just see it as taking a picture of yourself. It is such a mainstream thing now. You'd be hard-pressed to find a new cellphone without a front facing camera on it.

-Sidebar: I like Rickey Smiley's show but he's a bit of an idiot. I don't really hold much stock to the opinions that he gives on there.

3. ControlledXaos

Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    For clarity, his opinion has no baring.

I just don't get why it was such a big deal but it's wasn't just him. It was the whole on air male crew other than Gary with the Tea. Meanwhile female celebrities usually rather take Selfies because it's quick and easy.

I just didn't realize this was such a hot button issue for some dudes.

4. Nick Delmacy

Nick Delmacy is a Verified MemberNick Delmacy Da Architect
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I used to see this a lot from my heterosexual male and female friends...one other note, the ones who said male selfies were "gay", they were all black. This further proves my assertion that black people are more outwardly homophobic than whites...or at least they don't seem to have the liberal filter that tells them to keep their potentially offensive or homophobic opinions private. Black people outwardly play Gender Police more than any other American race I've seen.

Having said that, I can admit that sometimes seeing a dude posing in a (dirty) bathroom mirror while holding a smartphone or tablet can evoke similar images of women doing so in my mind. But that doesn't make me thing the dude is gay or womanly.

sauce126 and ControlledXaos dapped this.
  5. bpaisle

The 100 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Yeah for sure dude. I didn't mean that you valued his opinion or anything. I just thought that was the perfect moment for me to mention that I think he's an idiot lol. I do think that it is sort of funny that they were all making jokes about men taking selfies because we saw them at Mardi Gras this year and they were taking plenty of selfies, with women and men alike. I even have one on my Instagram with Headkrack because he's the only person on there that seems to give legitimate views on anything.

sauce126 and ControlledXaos dapped this.
  6. OhSheit

Bae Material The 1000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Bicurious
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    Foolishness. :scust:

sauce126 dapped this.
  7. jusrawb

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    In a Relationship
    I think almost anything that starts with "is it gay if" is silly and slightly homophobic. If you have to concern yourself if your committing a homo-act then most likely care too much about what people think. I find this a often behavior of black men. Not all black men just majority. It also may be a generational thing too.

OhSheit and sauce126 dapped this.