Onyxcon in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Books, Comics and Graphic Novels' started by Winston Smith, May 28, 2016.

1. Winston Smith

Best Site Comments The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    I'm working on a graphic novel, a satire of action movies. Even though I can do serious (re: superhero) stuff, almost all my work is satirical (i.e. Boondocks, Bloom County, etc.). The characters are black and one of them is openly gay (to the consternation of one of the other characters, a homophobe). I'll have the first portion done this summer and was thinking of making the rounds as a vendor at independent comic expos like A.P.E. in California and some other venues.

Any comic nerds on the board here in the Atlanta area familiar with, or been to Onyxcon? (Latest)

Even though it's billed as a black independent creator event, I haven't been to Atlanta since the late '90s, so I'm curious as to what that crowd/vibe is like, and how receptive they are to the full black experience (meaning us gay/bi bros). I've found the black comic crowd in Chicago to be somewhat homophobic (i.e. that Umar Johnson/Boyce Watkins type sh*t), so no need to travel down south if I'm going to encounter the same.

2. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    I've heard about it but haven't been but don't know anyone who has been. Question though...
    Do you mean just in general or like at specific comic convention type sh!t? Do you have an example? I'm curious because I never heard this before.

3. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    @Rico It looks like it going to be held in Southwest ATL at the Arts/Library center. This is a epicenter for pan-afrikanist and the back to Africa crowd. I hope that answers your question.

mojoreece dapped this.
  4. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    Why, yes it does...and now that I got the 411 from the resident expert, I'll just bypass. lol.

I remember all that same kind of stuff I used to get into when I was out of high school; the African medallions, the raised fists, the Brand Nubian and X-Clan CDs...
    cpnoway
    ...the internalized homophobia...

If time machines existed, I'd go back in time and b*tchslap myself for all that as a young man ("Hey, it's me...WHA-SMACK!!!...MOFO, what the hell's your...I mean...our problem?!?"). I try to incorporate all the good elements of different strains of black political thought that I can, but to paraphrase Danny Glover, I'm too old for this hotep sh*t.

There are plenty of other independent comic-cons for an idiosyncratic brutha like me to get into, like Alternative Press Expo in San Jose. What's your thoughts on Dragoncon in Atlanta?

5. OckyDub

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    I know a kat that goes every year and I heard it gets a little bit bigger every year.

Winston Smith dapped this.
  6. Winston Smith

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Gay
    Dating:
    Not looking
    That's cool. I might still roll through, I just have NO patience these days for "bean pie fascism" (lol)