Oscar Nominee Chiwetel Ejiofor: “It’s Harder To Be Gay Than Black In Hollywood”

Discussion in 'Race, Religion, Science and Politics' started by OckyDub, Feb 15, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    I think it may be harder for a open gay man to get a romantic straight lead role AND I think it would be impossible to non-existent for an open black gay man but this is foolishness what Ejiofor is saying IMO.
    [​IMG]
    The current controversy surrounding the Oscars’ lack of diversity has mostly centered around race, but Oscar nominee Chiwetel Ejiofor is pointing out that LGBT actors may have an even larger struggle making it in Hollywood.

“I hope this changes, but I think it’s probably harder to be gay,” the 12 Years A Slave star said.

“Sexuality is still marginalized in a way that is pretty open,” he added. “I think it’s tough.”

Ejiofor feels that being forced to keep their sexual orientation a secret must make gay actors feel shame and give them a sense of being “less than” their straight peers.

The actor acknowledged the fact that someone’s sexuality is no one’s business and that it should never prevent someone from getting a job or making their dreams come true.

The 38-year-old feels fortunate though, saying that his race has never held him back as an actor.

Tyrese Gibson recently had the opposite response to the diversity controversy plaguing the Oscars, saying that Hollywood is more concerned with accommodating LGBTs over black actors.

“In this town I guess it takes homosexuals to be discriminated against in Oder [sic] for someone to finally step UP and wanna do something,” he wrote on Instagram last month. “You have to take your hat off to the homosexual and gay community cause right now they’re as strong as black people USE [sic] to be when it comes to their rights…

2. DreG

DreG is a Featured MemberDreG Art Heaux
    Squad Veteran Most Valuable Player The 1000 Daps Club Supporter

Daps Received:
    A gay white man would have all the gay organizations backing him,and everyone else in Hollywood calling him brave and such.A gay black one would be famous just for that,but I think he'd have to be super out & proud/falmboyant and all the other stuff that goes with that image to keep any interest,but the interest wouldn't be on his actual craft.

A black actor in general has to hope someone writes a role for him,hires him,markets him,etc .
    Still got lots of love for C.E.

Tyroc, OckyDub and redsai84 dapped this.
  3. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Because White Liberal Hollywood is so homophobic.