Should Marvel's Iron Fist Actor been Cast as White or Asian?

Discussion in 'Television and Web Series' started by OckyDub, Mar 2, 2016.

1. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    The character is white in the comic but many were calling for an Asian actor to play in the role. Many Asians feel, yes we need more Asians in TV and film BUT please stop typecasting us as martial arts fighters. What are your thoughts?

[​IMG]
    White actor Finn Jones (best known as Loras Tyrell on Game of Thrones) was cast as Danny Rand, the white comic book character who becomes Marvel’s martial arts superhero Iron Fist. In terms of bringing the original character to life on screen, it was an accurate choice. But for many it was an upsetting choice, and guess what? They have every right to feel that way.

Those people who know why they are upset, and angry, and disappointed need no justification for the way they feel, especially from me. But I have seen far too many people call Marvel’s Iron Fist casting decision a “damned if they do, damned if they don’t” situation, where they’re weighing both sides as if they were equally valid.
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/it-actually-really-really-sucks-that-tv-s-iron-fist-is-1762435382

2. Dreamwalker

The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Tough call. Hard core fans would be pissed because you're changing the source/origin story just to be more diverse or politically correct. Of course, casting an Asian could just been seen a perpetuating a stereotype. It's easy to claim the iron fist comics are following the "white guy saves the day" theme seen in most entertainment (see Avatar), but as long as it's respectful of the culture it depicts, I don't care. I think it's interesting that no one cares that Marvel cast Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther and Will Smith as Dr. Bennet Ifeakandu Omalu (a Nigerian) and no said a word but everyone loses their mind over Zoe Saldana being cast as Nina Simone.

OckyDub dapped this.
  3. OckyDub

OckyDub is a Verified MemberOckyDub I gave the Loc'ness monstah about $3.50
    Site Founder The 10000 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    Orientation:
    Homosexual
    Dating:
    Married
    Some good damn points right here...
    :lawd::umad:

4. Discordant

Squad Leader The 100 Daps Club

Daps Received:
    As far as Black Panther is concerned, there is no actual Wakandan to cast since the country is fictional. No one really cared about Will Smith's movie (and many Nigerians laughed at his horrible accent.) The Zoe issue, I think, is because they're darkening her skin to play Nina, as opposed to tapping into the plethora of talented dark-skinned actresses just waiting for a non-slave/maid related role to sink their teeth in.

To the topic at hand, while I do get irritated by the whole "white savior" scenario they always seem to go with in movies, in this case the people of Kun-Lun aren't even Asian. They're aliens who appropriated the culture to help fit in on the rare occasions when their realm is accessible from Earth. It'd be nice to see more Asians in TV, and the character really only needs to be a rich American male to be the same story, but this is one of those situations where someone will always find something to be offended by.